Has anyone got any experiences with a home alcohol detox using valium?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am possibly thinking of paying for a private home detox. They have suggested it will be using valium as opposed to Librium. I was just wondering if anyone else on here had been through one?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have detoxed at home alone with a benzo.

​It is extremely helpful and the same as hospital detox with the exception of intravenous fluids and vitamins.

If you can get your hands on a sports drink...and a lot of water..include them in your treatment...because hydration is what makes us feel better too.

Also, some vitamin B complex, Thiamine, Vitamin C, Folic Acid...all given to us when we go in the hospital (for the first week).  Because our bodies deplete these vitamins when drinking.

Withdrawal is HARD....I hope you make it.  If it was suggested to you by a Dr. to do the at home detox...than your drinking history may have suggested to them that you are not at risk for DTsas hospital detox with the exception of intravenous fluids and vitamins.

If you can get your hands on a sports drink...and a lot of water..include them in your treatment...because hydration is what makes us feel better too.

Also, some vitamin B complex, Thiamine, Vitamin C, Folic Acid...all given to us when we go in the hospital (for the first week).  Because our bodies deplete these vitamins when drinking.

Withdrawal is HARD....I hope you make it.  If it was suggested to you by a Dr. to do the at home detox...than your drinking history may have suggested to them that you are not at risk for DTs

• Posted

You might check in with Paul on this, I think that's a method he uses for detox. I may be mistaken...
  • Posted

I have sent you a private message Shelley. I want to say publicly here that I have not and will never attempt to use this site for personal gain.
    • Posted

You've given me good FREE advice here and I appreciate that.

PS. You're off the hook for the book, I've read about 150 pages and it is well worth the money.

• Posted

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it goes into a lot of technical stuff, and theory, which I find interesting. It could almost be a manual to refer to. I wonder how many people contributed to it, as it is too much for one person to write in 12 months.
    • Posted

What are the details of this book please? Thanks x
    • Posted

Thanks, I'll use that link in future.

To Emma,

It is mentioned in the last post in that thread. PM me if you want more info.

• Posted

Hi Paul

I detoxed alone at home successfully with diazepam recently and it was relatively easy. Have since fallen off the wagon and am on day 3 of attempting the same regimen but it doesn't seem to be working as well.

The pills don't seem to be working as well and I am having a much harder time in the evenings. Is there a reason for this in your opinion?

Thanks so much in advance!

• Posted

Yes, it is called kindling and is medically well documented. Each time someone who is alcohol dependent comes off alcohol, then starts drinking again, the withdrawal sysmptoms become more severe.

It is like a trap that sucks you in, until your body can no longer function without alcohol. My advice to you is, if you get through this stage, go to an ARC and get prescribed Campral. In the majority of people, this stops the brain constantly thinking about alcohol, which is what drives most people back to drinking once they have detoxed.

Some people need to give up for life and some are able to have a long period away (12 months) before they can reapproach alcohol in a different way.

Who has prescribed your diazepam and how much are you taking.

Also, Google Kindling alcohol withdrawal for more explanation.

• Posted

Hello Terra. RHGB has explained it as well as I could. Just keep going and the withdrawal symptoms will stop soon. This is why alcohol detox should always be properly supervised so that doses can be adjusted according to symptoms. However, once you get past day 3, things should be much easier. If you find your withdrawal symptoms too severe (I mean shaking, sweating, agitation, NOT craving) then you MUST contact a doctor.
  • Posted

I have, well not a monitered one, a self home detox with diazepam (generic name for Valium, Roche who own the brand don't make it any more).

If you are sensible and have a sensible partner, I would try to get some diazepam from your GP. Don't let them tell you they can't, my GP has prescribed me twice.

Getting diazepam on prescription and doing it at home, will be far cheaper than a private detox, because of all the support, experience and running costs etc.

What are you going to do after your detox, because if you don't have a plan, you will be back on the alcohol within a month (I am speaking from experience). A detox gets you off the short term dependency, but does nothing to help the mind and body deal with the future long terms affects from your past drinking.

Back to the detox, I had Librium when I was in hospital, but I was comatosed with a stroke, so I can't remember that one. I have twice done the diazepam at home. The first time I followed the instructions and it was like doing cold turkey, the dosage was far too low (Paul kindly explained it all to me).

The second time I was forearmed. I took, three 5mg, morning, noon & night, plus two before I went to bed, next day followed by two, two & two, plus two before I went to bed. Next day, then two, two & two, 4th day, one, one & one. Which equals 28 tablets, one packet and I didn't feel a thing.

And after that I had a plan on where I was going from there and which medication would be beneficial to me. Ideally, your GP should refer to a recovery clinic, who will detox you after an interview and then a meeting for blood tests. And then follow up with support with options. Unfortunately the chance of that happening is about as slim as me winning the lottery and since I haven't bought a ticket in about 20 years, that's pretty slim.

Of course, if you do consider a private detox, I would contact Paul, because his support here, leads me to believe that he probably runs a tidy ship as regards his praction/clinic. You would have to chat to him via PM, as it would be against forum rules to discuss it here.

• Posted

After you went through detox what were you prescribed? How did you deal with when the cravings come back? Did the doctors give you a drug to help with all this x
    • Posted

To be honest, the industry is in such a state, you aren't helped along the way, you have to research for yourself and then tell them what you want.

When you come off a detox, you have three choices, try to go back to normal and probably fail, because your mind and body have been altered and has been taught to expect alcohol and the normal functioning of the system is to contain alcohol, which is why are bodies and brain hate us when we don't drink, because that is what is expected.

Secondly, nalmefene/naltrexone can be taken, this is aimed at people who still want to drink, but it trains the mind not to enjoy the alcohol too much, thereby allowing the person to better control their drinking at a moderate level.

Thirdly, Campral (acamprosate) which is recommended for people who have just detoxed and want abstinence. It is taken for about 12 months, it is an anti-craving drug and is meant to reset your body and mind back to something similar to you pre-dependence days of alcohol.

You really have to decide the direction you want to go in, and you will have to request what you need, no one from the health industry will sit you down, run through the options and then write you a prescription, if only it were that easy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.