Has anyone got any experiences with a home alcohol detox using valium?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am possibly thinking of paying for a private home detox. They have suggested it will be using valium as opposed to Librium. I was just wondering if anyone else on here had been through one?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have used Valium in the past but I am not a big fan. I don't like the euphoria it gives me which paradoxically makes me want to drink more. Trying to withdraw cold turkey however is of course not an option if you are a chronic alcoholic. I'm using long term Baclofen therapy instead of Valium now and it's pretty much cured me. It's a GABA agonist a little like Valium but It's not addictive, not toxic even in high doses, relaxes the body & takes away the cravings and anxiety. Doesn't cause intense euphoria and doesn't affect cognitive function. Let's you ride out the withdrawal syndrome wrapped in a comforting big fluffy cloud basically. Does have some side effects though (sleepiness being the big one) so only recommended under close medical supervision. But worth thinking about.
  • Posted

Thanks all. I wasn't very clear at the beginning. I have had a home detox before through the NHS using Librium and was brilliant on it. I had hardly any aftercare though so after a tough time ended up drinking again after 6 months. I am looking into counselling after a detox and some recovery groups I can attend for support. I am just so desperate to stop now. I want my life back.
    • Posted

Getting an NHS detox is like gold dust, they are as rare as rocking horse poo. That was either some years ago, or you live in one of those few and far between places of the UK were they still help.

My own personal view, and that is what it is, counselling and recovery groups will not work, without some sort of medication to help, detox only means you will not go through cold turkey, it does nothing to help the craving of alcohol, that drags you back to it.

I am attending one of those alcohol recovery centres, and my key worker doesn't even know anything about the medication I am being prescribed by that recovery centre. I have to question what support I get, when people who are meant to be counselling me, aren't even aware of the medication prescribed by them to me. There are plenty of stories here from people who have gone to these recovery centres, anxious to give up alcohol, or at least get it manageable, who are told that they don't prescribe medication and have had to fight to get it.

• Posted

I am currently researching camprosat and it's certainly looking like it could help me. Thanks all.
    • Posted

Campral (acamprosate) is what I take and whilst it doesn't work for everyone, I can certainly say it works for me. No side effects and I don't hear the call of alcohol all the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.