Has anyone had a bad experience increasing Mirtazapine from 30 to 45 mg and how long did it take to start feeling better?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have just increased my Mirtazapine from 30 mg to 45 mg. I know it's only the second day but I am having the most horrendous experience. Can anyone tell me if they had this experience. I have now gone from 15 to 45 mg. The only drug that really worked for me was Venlafaxine which I took off and on for over ten years. Unfortunately in October 2012 it stopped working. I was then tried on double the dose followed by Sertraline but to no avail. In April 2013 I asked if I could try Van. again and it worked from April until September 2013. The 15 mg of Mirtazapine worked fantastically for about two and half months but then stopped working. I was on 30 mg for 8 weeks and still felt bad so GP suggested the 45 mg.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Patricia - when increasing the dose of Mirtazapine it is possible to feel agitated, rather than calmed. I get this for a few days. Knowing this happens to me I always take twice the time to increase the dose, by only taking the increase on day 1 (usually rubbish) , normal dose on day 2 and then retry increased dose on day 3. If day 3 is rubbish, revert to normal dose for day 4 etc. the agitation has always resolved after a couple of bites. has always evened out after If agitation is what you've got, just revert to usual dose tomorrow, then retry the increased one? 

If you are waiting for the increased dose to have an effect, then for me the improvement is pretty quick, again with a few days I start to feel better. 

Hope that helps, all the best, David.

• Posted

Hi Patricia - should read before posting smile

When increasing the dose of Mirtazapine it is possible to feel agitated, rather than calmed. I get this for a few days. Knowing this happens to me I always take twice the time to increase the dose, by taking the increase on day 1 (usually feel rubbish) , normal dose on day 2 and then retry increased dose on day 3. If day 3 is rubbish, revert to normal dose for day 4 etc. The agitation has always resolved after a couple of bites. If agitation is what you've got, just revert to usual dose tomorrow, then retry the increased one? 

If you are waiting for the increased dose to have an effect, then for me the improvement is pretty quick, again after a few days I start to feel better. 

Hope that helps, all the best, David. 

• Posted

Thanks David.  I will give it a few more days and see how I feel.  I waited 8 weeks with 30 but I feel worse with the 45.  I am going back to the GP on Wednesday so will see wha she has to say.
  • Posted

Hey, pat, sorry to see your still having problems. I'm now exactly 4weeks into the 45mg dose today. I have had the most awful 2 days with regards to my anxiety. I know you don't have anxiety- but mirtazapine lifted my depression from dealing with the anxiety but it's not touching much of my anxiety and it's causing me problems because I feel brigher but then my anxiety is holding me back, so it feels like I'm stuck between 2 states..which makes me feel trapped and then miserable. I'm giving mirtazapine another months at the most... and if I'm still going round in circles like this then I'm just going to come off and see how I get on without meds..and if I definitely need something, will try something else. I've been really thoroughly disappointed with mirtazapine so far. This is my first ever episode of anxiety and it's really made me feel like theres absolutely no hope. Sorry if I sound a bit gloomy, I've just had enough of taking a poxy tablet that isn't particularly helping me.
    • Posted

Hi Rachael I know how you feel.  I have just been on the settee til now and I haven' felt like that for over 10 years.  I think I might ask to go back on Venlafaxine but last time it only lasted for 5 months.  What worries me is what next?  They've tried several ADs.  We had the family yesterday and I just couldn't enjoy them.  I can't enjoy anything at the moment.  Keep in touche Rachael.
    • Posted

Stick at the 45mg for a bit longer Pat. You've come this far, so be 100% sure that it isn't helping first. I don't really know what to do either...because I have no idea if I'd be worse without mirtazapine, so it's a tricky one to decide. I'm giving it another month as by then, I should have a new job and be hopefully starting to see things more positively, as the job and social side will give me a huge boost. I have been reffered for CBT and have been offered counselling free of charge by a distant aunt...I know you're supposed to be counselled by a stranger usually..but she practically is, so I have nothing to loose by taking up her offer. 
    • Posted

Hi Rachael.  I just don't know what to do.  People on here kept advising me to stay on 30 mg but in the end I had to increase.   I have done nothing all day to day and I hate feeling that I don't want to do anything but lie on the settee.  At least on the 30 I could make myself do things but I couldn't today.  You are right though.  I have been on Mirt. since efore Christmas (the 15 mg worked for a couple of months) so I really should give it a bit longer.  Glad to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel for you.
    • Posted

I think that you may aswell give the increase a good time before going back to 30mg. You have started now..so may aswell carry on- you never know...it may actually turn out really good for you. If I look back at how I've been as a whole- I am soooo much better but it's just a tiny doubt about it that I've actually done it by myself if that makes sense? It's a given that changing your dose is going to shift a few feelings around...it happens on most with dose increases. I say deffo give it longer, theres no harm in trying and atleast you know you can always go back down to 30mg if it doesn't work. It's just having the patience and strength to push through the bad that's hard, but you need to do it to see if you can come out the other side smile x
    • Posted

I am going to give it a go but it's very hard coping with this awful feeling.  I have got my three grandchildren coming to stayfor the night They are 4, 6 and 8 and I am not looking forward to it. This is a shame as I usually love having them.  I will keep you posted and thanks for getting back.

Pat

• Posted

Hi Rachel did you get any better on mirtazipine? I'm having some much trouble with it! I've increased to 30mg and it's been horrible for 6 days now

• Posted

Hi Pat,

I was on 45mg for about 16 days and couldn't handle it. Felt like I was really hyped up all the time. I have now dropped back down to 30mg and have been on that for 11 days.

I started on mirt about 6.5 weeks back on 15mg for 8 days and then 30mg for 13 days and then 45mg for 16 days, now as I mentioned earlier I am back on 30mg. Definitely is a rollercoaster.

Keep strong mate and know your not alone smile

• Posted

Thanks Aaron.  The trouble is we don't know what to do for the best.
    • Posted

Hi Pat,

I agree I am seeing my GP today because I have been on the 30mg for almost 14 days and my anxiety has been getting worse but 45mg is to much. So I am going to ask about an inbetween dose like 37.5 and see if that helps, he may suggest sticking with the 30mg until I have finished off the packet and see if that makes any difference.

I totally agree with you in regards to now knowing what is the best plan of action with the dosing.

Take care mate.

Aaron

• Posted

Hi Aaron##I'm going to the GP tomorrow and I know she will tell me to stay on the 45 mg for a few more weeks.  It's OK for them but waking up every day feeling awful is no joke.  I wake every day hoping to feel better but so far no dice.
    • Posted

Hey Aaron. Unfortunately after an increase, it does make you feel a bit worse before better. I stayed on 30mg for 10 whole weeks before upping to 45mg. I still have my wobbles but I think I am getting better but i've been on 45mg for 4weeks now. It's unfair having to wait this long when you're so poorly x
    • Posted

Hi Rachael,

It is unfair how long ya have to wait for the drug to work properly. I am just hoping that this 37.5mg dose is right for me, only time will tell I guess. But this time I am going to stick on it for 4 weeks or so.

Just have to try and stay positive which is easier said than done some days but having to keep plugging away at it.

• Posted

When I was on the 45mg I felt all over the place and very revved up, never lashed out verbally of physically but very irritable and that's not me.

Hope it passes for you, I understand how you feel as I am still trying to find the right dose for me mate.

• Posted

Yeah you have to give it a good amount of time before you are 100% certain it's not working.I had been very up and down on mirtazapine so far, but since upping to 45mg, I think I'm better xx
    • Posted

Oh forgot to add, I was very irritable on mirtazapine initially... like couldn't even stand my partners breathing! lol It has calmed down now though smile
    • Posted

I know everyone is different but how long did the irritablity last ?
    • Posted

HiRachael and just thought I would let you know what the latest is with me.  I had been on 45 Mirt. for 6 days but last night I felt terrible and kept shivering.  I saw my GP today and she thinks I shoiuld try Venlafaxine again.  It worked for me for 10 years but stopped working in October 2012.  After trying several SSRIs I asked if I could try The Venla\faxine again.  It did work but only for 5  months.  That was when I was prescribed the Mirtazapine.  Only 15 mg at first and I felt fantastic for two months.  I was then prescribed 30 mg and stayed on that for 8 weeks.  Although I had some good days it didn't really do the trick.  i ws then prescribed 45 mg but that certainly wasn't for me.  Anyway I have now got to wean myself off the Mirtazapine for a week and then take the Ven.  so watch this space!!
    • Posted

Hey Pat, ahh what a shame it didn't work out for your on mirtazapine. I'm 4weeks into 45mg now, and think it's starting to do the trick! I imagine I will have moments where I've changed my mind again but I'm willing to give it more time. I think time is a good healer for me, I'm quite upset how poorly I got, and no medication is going to rid me of that upset. I'm trying to keep busy and hopefully starting a new job soon- which I think will do me the world of good. I think I've just had a huuuuge confidence knock and need to build myself back up again. Good luck on your weaning off the mirt and hoping the venlafaxine works well again for you. Keep in touch smile xx
    • Posted

Thanks Rachael.  I was disappointed that the Mirtazapine didn't work but I I was feeling awful.  As I said the Venlafaxine did work for 10 years but only worked for 5 months last time.  so I was hoping the Mirt. would b a good replacement.  I'll let you know how I get on but I hope the job works out and you keep well.  Did you say you don't get depression.  I have never had anxiety but I am sure it must be terrible
    • Posted

I did start to get depression as a result of dealing with the anxiety but it was probably quite mildly. Anxiety is very hard- especially generalised as you don't often know what you feel nervous and worried about. Imagine having a really scary interview to go to and how your tummy churns and your minds whirls...that's how you feel 24/7. Keeping busy helps smile Thanks Pat. Good luck xxx
    • Posted

I also suffer anxiety more than depression and also intrusive thought from adulthood ocd, which causes the anxiety.

Sorry to hear you had to switch again Pat, must be a nightmare swapping meds.

I've done it once and I ached all over and felt crook for about about 7 days when I switched from setraline to mirtazapine.

I have decided to stick to the 30mg to until I have finished the box which will give me 4 weeks on the 30mg, should know whether I need the 37.5 or not by then, I hope.

• Posted

Hey Aaron, Yes, good idea to wait it out a few more weeks first before deciding to up. I stayed at 30mg for 10weeks before upping as people had told me it can take 6-8weeks, so I wanted to be sure. I'm better on 45mg, but still having my moments, but I think it's more manageable and once I get myself back to work my confidence and mind will be in a better place smile xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.