Has anyone had neurological problems after Botox treatment for migraine?

Posted , 59 users are following.

I had 3 episodes of Botox injections to treat chronic migraine last year. It did help to reduce the severity and frequency of migraines, but since the second treatment I have suffered a lot of unexplained generalised symptoms including numbess, weakness, pins and needles and pain in my legs, arms, hands and feet, difficulty walking (especially up hills or stairs) twitching of muscles all over body, general fatigue, diificulty in speaking, memory loss and reduced ability to concentrate. I have had numerous tests with neurologist, including MRI scans to rule out multiple sclerosis. Most tests have been normal apart from very mild abnormality in EMG indicating some peripheral neuropathy in my feet. The symptoms are very slowly resolving with time, but are still present to some degree one year after the last botox treament. My neurologist submitted an adverse event report about the botox, but says that there have been no confirmed reports of distant effects of botulin toxin after treatment for migraine. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

7 likes, 115 replies

115 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

How's you doing now . I've been on this awful journey and still on it 7 months on I've 2 children a wonderful husband home family friends and my own hair studio .

• Posted

Yes... many, many people are suffering from side effects after Botox treatment.

Unfortunately there is little support or knowledge within the medical profession. Absolutely no support from Allergan, the producer. 

• Posted

Hi Jacky,

About a month ago I had received 10 units of Dysport around my eyes for cosmetic purposes - I now seem to be experiencing similar issues.

The first week I went through a range of sympotoms heavy sweats on hands and feet, breathing difficulties, numbness and tingling and the feeling as if I were going to pass out, cold tips of fingers and toes as well as an over all lack in concentration and (head fog all day every day)which these symptoms would all come in waves.

I am in my early 20s who on a usual day would spend it waking up going to the gym 5 days a week and getting on with a fast track busy lifestyle, I'm a Manager in retail so my overall wellbeing is so important.

So far this experience has left me deeply regretting ever considering Botox as an option.

If I had have known this prior I would never consider it- I feel like the happiness has been taken from my life( I just do not feel myself)

I wish this nightmare would end.

Iv become sensitive to coffee and alcohol isn't an option for me anymore.

I can't gather the strength to get up to go to the gym

I'm currently experiencing the odd numbness and tingling feeling lack of concentration (head fog ) and weakness overall tired all of the time.

Iv seen doctors as well as to the emergency room and all basic tests have come back clear.

I'm being Treated with acupuncture currently but there is not much more I have been advised.

I'm taking a vitamin B in the mornings to help with energy.

St. John's wart to help with calmness and stress.

(Which is helping)

As well as trying to only put good foods into my body.

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel ?

Has anyone experienced anything like this and fully recovered and what other treatments have helped ?

• Posted

I am six months out and have good days and bad. I take 50mg of Lyrica 2 times a day for nerve pain and I am determined to stay under the 150 starting dose. I was an avid runner and knitter and loved curling up in bed. My life is changedrolleyes I do feel I am improving slowly. I have a rheumatologist who believed me right away as he has another patient who is even worse off. I am also using medicinal marijuana (I live in CA) and find CBD oil helps (you can buy it w out a prescription I think Bc it is non psychoactive and is somewhat calming and is anti inflammatory. I miss jogging and hate having to avoid activities. It is a trial every day, but I have to believe it will get better. I will think of you every day and hope you will think of me and maybe we can lift each other up. Meditation and medication is what I am doing. I wish I could manage on supplements but my nerve damage was too much to bear. I have been told it can take another year to improve significantly. Eating well and being kind to your immune system is helpful and cry when you have to. Our bodies are mad at us. Gentle yoga is next on my list. I cried in the last class Bc I used to be front and center and now I'm in the backrolleyes I spent months shaming and blaming myself and trying to undo it in my head. It isn't fair. As we speak women and men all over the world are getting this done. I go for walks and take long baths but it's a tough road. I hate having to avoid things. I left thanksgiving dinner early but then yesterday was able to go to the movies. I am sending you good wishes.

• Posted

not so good unfortunately. i tried a nerve regeration therapy that just stirred things up and increased my pain so now i am on double the amount of lyrica for now.  will update with something more poisitive in the futture.
    • Posted

Robin. You will get better. Keep telling yourself that. My holistic doctor told me that whatever I do, DON'T get on lyrica. I don't know why exactly, but she said, no black charcoal, and no St. John's Worth. The body will repair itself, it's just been attaked, but our immune systems are working hard to fight it. It will take over a year. A theory is not that you have nerve damage, rather, that you have overactive nerves that put your nervous system on overdrive. I am going through something similar with Dysport. I am only two months in, but I am getting better. Doctors kept guessing and putting me on more toxix medication while my body is fighting hard to detox. I don't take anything but half a pill of Xanex-this helps calm the nerves and sleep. Eventually, I want to cut that pill to a fourth, and when my neurotransmitters balance out over time, I want to be able to sleep without medication. Write back any time you want support or just want to chat. You will get better, it will just take time.

• Posted

Hello dear dimples22382

How are you now ? I wish that you are ok ?

How can I know your story ? For me I am now 3 months after botox in forehead but still I have symptoms in my forehead interms of muscular spasm ... I do not know when this will end ? My symptoms are less intense by 50 % but yet I have daily symptoms and this is very painful.. Also I am taking xanax but I am trying to cut it off inorder not to depend on it

• Posted

You are totally right is is everyday battle .. I have cramps and muscular spasm in my head and forehead after botox injected in my forehead I am having my symptoms everyday .. After 3 months , less intense by 50% but I can not bare it .. Everyday I am struggling when I will be hitten by the pain and will this tragedy end one day and when ? anybody has idea or hope ?
    • Posted

Hello dear

I am sorry to hear that you suffered .. But now it is me whome I want your help .. Did your nightmare end up and when ?

I am 3 months after botox 20 units total injected in forehead and glabella and I share with you a similar expression that happiness was taken from my life .. I am having daily symptoms but less by 50% of muscular spasm in head and forehead severe and continuos

• Posted

I wonder why my post has been deleted when there are no links to other sites? Perhaps it could be explained to me? Thanks
  • Posted

Hi Jackie,

It's been over a year since you've posted. I can relate as these are the exact symptoms I'm going through now. I am seeing a holistic doctor and receiving acupuncture to relieve the symptoms. I was told that most people recover in about 18 months, but the mayor symptoms should start subsiding between 3-6 months. Please give me some hope. How it it a year later? I'm about a month and a half post a Dysport injection to the glabella area (between brows). Thanks so much. Hope to hear from you soon.

• Posted

Hi Dimples, 

It's been over a year since you posted. How do you feel now? Are you recovered from the Botox?

• Posted

Hello Jackie75453

I know it is a late reply .. But can I know how are you now ? As I am having muscular spasms in my forehead till now after 3 months after botox injection in my forehead ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.