Has anyone had success using sertraline with health anxiety?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

First time posting. Basically i've had health anxiety for the last 3 years although there have been good and bad periods during that time.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used Sertraline to treat health anxiety with success and how many mg you were on please?

I've read positive things about Sertraline in general but wondered how effective it was at helping with health anxiety. Also did anyone experience hair loss as a side effect as that concerns me?

Thanks so much!

Em

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Emma,

I am currently taking sertraline and it is now 5 weeks. it is helping me with anxiety however i do have good and bad days. I am also having hair fall issue.

I might start taking some suppliments to combat that.

• Posted

I'm glad to hear its helping. a lot of what i've read has said it can take 8-12 weeks to feel the full effects so hopefully youll keep seeing daily improvement.

How much hair loss are you experiencing? x

• Posted

Thanks Emma I have atleast 100 hair fall every time i wash or brush. I spoke to my mum who is a scientist and she said its very normal for that much hair to go but to avoid it i am starting to oil my hair and massage scalp. I might start taking biotin tablets as well.

• Posted

Hopefully it will resolve soon, i've read that a lot of the initial side effects don't last.

Hope it improves for you soon and you continue feeling better each day!

• Edited

ive had health anxiety most of my life and tried alsorts of different medication with no joy. i was put on sertraline 2 years ago and within 6 months i was feeling better. this medication did me the world of good. the side effects are horrible but you stick with it as its only temporary. i hated the side effects i had for a couple of weeks but id of gone through anything to get rid of the health anxiety. for the first time in 20 years i feel free.

• Posted

Aww amazing! That's so good to hear. I'm really glad you're feeling better, long may it continue 😃

• Edited

this is great to read, I'm on day 7 of 25mg, upping to 50mg tomorrow. bit of nausea already but like you I'm willing to ride out any side effects to get through health anxiety, its ruining my life!

• Posted

just out of curiosity what side effects did you have?

• Posted

i had nausea

heightened anxiety

stomach aches

headaches

buzzing sensation in my legs

sleepiness

flashes infront of my eyes.

it was only temporary though and all these effects dissapered . i didnt have anymore side effects even after they upped my dose my to 100mg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.