Has anyone had success with Mirtazapine?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, have any of you had success managing Anxiety and Poor sleep with Mirtazapine 15mg ?

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I'll just put this here. Please think long and hard before you put this in your body, it could be a mistake that you'll regret for many many years. Ask yourself if you want to play russian roulette with your health and life.

WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT MIRTAZAPINE

1. RECEPTORS - It alters an unprecedented number of histamine receptors (24), a few of those major receptors are located in our brain, heart and stomach.

2. ADRENALS - It lowers cortisol (adrenals) which in turn can effect several important subsystems, which are (a - d):

a. Blood Sugar - Causes blood sugar to fluctuate resulting in carb and sugar cravings resulting in weight gain.

b. Stomach Acid Production - On a cellular level, lowers our normal stomach acid production significantly slowing our metabolism which results in weight gain.

c. Heart - Effects our heart causing things like palpatations and other heart disturbances.

d. Lungs - Effects our breathing causing shortness of breath (SOB).

1. ANTIHISTAMINES - It saturates our organs and subsystems with it's two very strong antihistamines.

• When we taper and/or withdraw, all the above subsystems struggle to normalize again (homeostasis). Many of them causing severe side effects both physical and psychological.

• The three major components responsible for the acute w/d effects are the altering of our adrenals, the introduction of antihistamines and the altering of our receptors.

• Although mirtazapine is classed as a Tetracyclic, it is not a true tetracyclic. They arbitrarily placed it in that class because it shares only a couple similar properties as other tetracyclics.

• Mirtazapine is a rogue and unpredictable drug unlike any other. Because mirtazapine alters the adrenal glands function from day one taking it, it is thought that immediate effect is also responsible for its very quick dependency (addiction) upon the human body.

• Its withdrawal and discontinuance profile is like none other, and for a large percentage of people it requires a slow careful taper to discontinue it safely, years.

• Edited

what rubbish. yeah it can do what you say but not to that extreme. Everyone and i mean everyone reacts differently to this medication. You had a bad time with it. I had no problems. little bit shaky on withdrawal as are any meds taken long term. Let the individual decide . It has bad reviews, yeah like any other medication you type into Google. It also has thousands of positive reviews as well.It saved my life. i would not be here without it.

• Posted

Why do the GPS prescribe these mostly mirtazapine 15mg then up it to 30mg then a few months later to 45mg, as I don't understand why you're knowledge says stay away from these and GP prescribed the above instead of Prozac and others then please.

• Posted

Tempest

Not rubbish at all. The truth.

You "may" have been in the percentage of people in the lucky group who does not experience "acute lengthy" withdrawal or it's acute SEs in simply taking it. So I understand your defense of it in only knowing your single experience.

I've been researching mirrtazapine for 4 years. Belong to several groups (thousands & thousands of people) and do research for a living.

Taking mirtazapine is a roll of the dice. It is not by any stretch of the imagination your typical AD.

ZEN deserves to know the full truth from both sides so he/she can make an informed decision. Unlike the thousands who were not given the truth by their providers.

• Posted

15 mg is the therapeutic dose for most people. Other people need a higher or lower dose to help with there individual symptoms and circumstances. i was originally put on 30 mg and it sent me loopy. I was great on 15 mg. its finding what's right for you. If it works take it. if not try something else.

• Posted

I agree. Its helped me hell of a lot but might not for some. my doc treat me through trial and error to get where i am today which is coping with a lot of personal and family stuff as well as going through a couple of serious medical problems myself. I was tried on a few different antidepressants over 3 years and finally mirtazepin 45mg work! im sleeping better and I wake up refreshed not drowsy and although i still have bad days with depression they are only now and again so work for me bigtimexx

• Posted

I think posting anything as "truth" and telling someone what they SHOULD or shouldn't do is a bad idea, especially when people are vulnerable - however well intentioned it may be. Everyone has their own stories and experiences - I too have had a very positive experience on Mirtazapine - it literally saved my life. It does have difficult start up side effects (as do SSRIs), the weight gain is rubbish and unless you accept a slow taper off it's likely (though not always) to be pretty unpleasant. But to me as to a couple of others here have also said the benefits have outweighed the negatives for me. Everyone has their own experience and it is often trial and error for the individual.

• Posted

Please just know ZEN, for the high percentage of people in the unlucky group, mirtazapine develops a dependency (addiction) very fast.

• Posted

hi I have had success finally but it it took a while and im now on the 45mg mirtazepine and can finally say im sleeping better but have a lot going on at min so do have some nights of poor sleep but not often now. Mirtazepine helps me to relax and get off to sleep. hope this helpsxx

• Posted

Morning Michelle, Glad to read it's helping you sleep and hope all goes well for you in the future. I'd never heard of mirtazapine until Dr took me off Prozac about 18 months ago as they didn't agree with me and told me I was going to be eventually on 45mg but started at 15mg and had spasms with legs when waking in morning so soon shifted to 30mg which were far better.. then out of the blue without consulting me on to 45mg as I've read they more of an antidepressant than sleeper and they agree with me, but so did 30mg, I've never had a problem sleeping but daytime anxiety I blow out of control when something happens i quadruple the issue at the time, but instead of it staying with me for hrs it's goes more quickly on either 30mg or 45mg but 15mg is a big No No..as rather be without than take the latter.

• Posted

i was on prozac first 6 years ago but did nothing for me at all then the doctor tried quite a few different antidepressants but not really worked. finally mirtazapine last year. 15mg for 2 weeks then did another 2 weeks on 30mg and 2 weeks later 45mg. she knew I needed 45mg tablets but had to work up to the stronger ones. what a difference after all that time getting more depressed and crap happening just to push me over enough for smashing my plates etc etc etc just over a silly thing that just tipped me over that edge. Ive not got that bad since starting 45mg until Nov 2018 but that was coz of my nephew dying and seeing my dad with a black eye in nursing home. im getting nowhere with a lot of stuff im trying to get sorted at the moment with universal cr and payments coming out which i dont owe so food parcelling it again but my dad in late stages of altzheimers is my main downfall with my depression. I do sleep better but still have bad nights but dont feel as down as i used to so thank you 45mg mirtazapine!xx

• Posted

Great to read that like myself 45mg mirtazapine are doing the trick like myself" But hope you're famiĺy and financial worries don't last to long as my late mother used to say "Always light at the end of tunnel" That's been very true for me. How may I ask you doing know? Rob.

• Posted

Hey,

Everyone reacts differently to medications for mental health, Its trial and error till you find the right one for you. I was on propranolol then sertraline then mertazipen and now on flauxatine.

The mertazipin sent me haywire and I had a rough 2 months that I was on them and just totally wasn't suitable for me, the good news was with them I could actually wat and I never felt sick but instead I had to Many psychotic events on it and had to b removed of it.

Tbh I would give them ago and see how u get on as alot of people get on with them great.

• Posted

Hi, I'm in the horrid process of trying to find the right medication for me which is unbareable at times. 2nd medication i tried was 15mg Mirtrazapine to help with a combination of issues including insomnia. First 4 days seemed fine over slept and bit groggy. Day 5 thankfully a non working day couldnt get off to sleep after taking it. Couldnt open my eyes felt glued started to hear the sound of alarms and buzzing followed by seeing and feeling demons and ghouls screaming and shouting incoherantly and could feel them crawling over my back. fought my eyes open but could still see hear and feel them until the faded away after a few minutes. They came back at least 4 times for about 2 hours, it was torture and in my desperation as they wouldnt leave me along i took another mirtazapine tablet which knocked me out until lunch the next day. I dont take that medication anymore and trying another combination. However i see those ghouls and demons still its they were let out and wont go anyway. sometimes if i'm lucky i get something a bit more friendly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.