Has anyone had their sputum production Stop?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Russ here. Six days ago I stopped having sputum production. Normally I clear at night before bed. So far I feel fine. No fever or malaise.

The only change I noticed in my routine is that 10 days ago I was scrathched by my dog. Normally I clean out the wound and apply Bacitacin and bandage and the scratch heals without problem. This last time the scratch became infectied and soon was beginning to turn inot a celluitis. I got myself to my doctor immediately and he placed me on Bactrim for 7 days.

Those of us on Azithromycin know about how it has chaged our lives.

The only thing I can imagine is that there may be some synergy in the combination of the two antibiotics and is stopping sputum production becasue I am having less bronchial inflamtion?

I have had sputum production daily for about 8 years. I have to say that this is a bit strange. .

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

I will check the internet next for any explanation and run it by my ID doctor after I hear back from any of you.

Hope all is well for everyone.

Russ 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This does sound strange Russ.

I clear my lungs twice a day sometimes more depending on how bad I am.

It will be interesting to see what your doc says!

Rach

• Posted

Rach, I am slowly getting sputum production back. It feels like I might have a slight viral infection right no. Slight temp the other nite. I have noticed what seems to be different a more "raw" feeling in my upper airways when I do my lung clearing and this has corrolated with the decreased sputum production.

My ID MD said that using an additional antibiotic along with the AZ would not be a good idea . The kind of bugs that inhabit the lungs of our group live in a symbiotic relationship with us and tampering with the balance could cause an over-growth of an organism.Or at least I think that is what he said. There are some interesting studies going on. One of which got my attention was the beathing of Hydrogen gas.

What wonders the future may bring.

Hope you are doing well. 

Russ

• Posted

Hi Russ, wow that must feel good! I have very little......sometimes no....mucus. But that is just the result of Azithromycin. Will be interesting to see how things progress.

Jean

• Posted

Jean, I have continued to have sputum with the AZ, 15ml / day until the recent Bactrim dosing.

Glad you are doing well. Please keep my posted about any changes with you AZ dosing etc.

Russ

• Posted

Hi Russ

I had a change of antibiotic back in July, I was given a high dose and informed that I must always, whenever needed, have a two week course. Amazingly, doing this stopped my cough and sputum completely. I had never felt so well. Now, my cough is just returning (a little) and I do have a small amount of sputum. I cannot remember having gone two months without any severe symptoms. Maybe it was the change in your antibiotics too. 

• Posted

Changed your antibiotic to what, may we ask Dancing Queen?

Like others my sputum reduced quite significantly (at least half) when I went onto azithromycin - 3 days full dose (2x250mg/day) for a then emerging infection, then prophylactic 3x250mg/week. It bounces up and down a little sometimes to as low as 10ml a clearance session and I have had a couple of occasions when it has gone back up to 40ml and another 'flag' (tiredness and/or inflammatory disturbance of sleep) has got me close to reverting to a full dose to kill off an emerging infection (pleased to say that my caution was rewarded both times by return to the new azith norm).

Have never had an attempt to clear which proved fruit-less on sputum, but it's now so manageable I'm not sure I'd want to experiment with combo antibis anyway.

Best wishes

Interesting observation Russ - I doubt even an immunoligist would be able to do more than shrug their shoulder! But interested to hear if otherwise of course.

• Posted

Hi Steve

I have had my antibiotics changed to 500mg four times a day for two weeks. I'm now on Tetracycline. I can't remember what he said the bug was this time but I can actually go all day without coughing. 

• Posted

Steve, I like your take on this. It is not the I can't get sputum up, it's that I don't have sputum. I also feel a bit better. So what is going on here? I have been off of the Bactrim for 4 days. My normal sputum production is 15 ml.

As I said to Dancing Queen, I wonder if this more anti-inflamatory.

Every doctor I taked to always mentioned the anti-inflamatory effects as if that may be the real curative factory with AZ.

Glad you are doing well.

Russ

• Posted

Hi Russ. Interesting isnt it? Dont know who u would discuss same with but in the past cures and health benefits come from all sorts of bizzare places. Did read there is a bronchiectasis conference in the USA i think. May be well mentioning it on their forum.
  • Posted

DQ, very interesting to get your similar responce with the two antibiotics.  Perhaps we are onto something?

I will run this by my ID doctor to see what he thinks. 

I wonder if it is the anti-inflamatory  aspects of the drugs more than the antiboiotic aspects. Steroids are always clearing agent for me several of us I hae noted. I dont take them anymore since staritng AZ, though needed them when I went off AZ for 10 days in early August. Let me know if you dig anything up.

I think the interesting thing in this is that if we could stop sputum production then it seems that we are stopping some of or a lot of the inflamation in our brochials that casue the damage. I may be on the wrong bus if this, but I will persue it. 

Russ

• Posted

Hiya All,

Just got the results of my CT chest today seems a big change since using AZ also my Sputum is much less then ever here is the News.

Impression:

Mild central wall thicking,chronic bronchiel inflammation i.e.bronchitis is a consideration. No severe bronchietasis. No focal lung lesions.

Small nonspecfic mediastinal nodes are favored to be reactive inflammatory.

There are coronary artery calcification. There is no significant pleural or pericardial fluid collection. Adrenal glands unremarkable. There are degenrative changes in the spine.

So what that all means I will find out tomorrow when I see my new doctor,so will keep you posted,but I must say AZ is playing a big role in how well I feel as to the last 2 yearswith BX.

Stay well,

Regards,

Charlie 

• Posted

Charlie, so glad to hear all your good news. Look forward to hearing what your doctor says. New doctor for a reason?

Russ

• Posted

Hiya,

Follow up was good as to the CT Scan as he noted milded BX, seeing my VA doc on Thurs. to see what she say's, using this new doctor because he is good and closer to home,and I had when I had the ER visit last Time.

So what they are having me do to keep BX under control as it is now is:

Neb with Sodium Chloride twice a day Morning & Night

Follwed with Symbicort twice a day

AZ 250 / Mon /Wed./Fri.

I still have to deal with the sinus stuff which of course doesn't help the BX but as I have been saying the AZ has helped he says that is also helping my Immune system to fight,will let you all know if my VA Doc agrees.

Regards,

Charlie

• Posted

Hi Charlie,

For my sinuses I am using Medipot solution with Budesonide solution.

Have been having a little trouble the last few days. Am increasing rest.for  now. Generally since statarting AZ my health has improved by a wide margin.

Keep me posted on your progress if you will.

Russ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.