Has anyone had their sputum production Stop?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Russ here. Six days ago I stopped having sputum production. Normally I clear at night before bed. So far I feel fine. No fever or malaise.

The only change I noticed in my routine is that 10 days ago I was scrathched by my dog. Normally I clean out the wound and apply Bacitacin and bandage and the scratch heals without problem. This last time the scratch became infectied and soon was beginning to turn inot a celluitis. I got myself to my doctor immediately and he placed me on Bactrim for 7 days.

Those of us on Azithromycin know about how it has chaged our lives.

The only thing I can imagine is that there may be some synergy in the combination of the two antibiotics and is stopping sputum production becasue I am having less bronchial inflamtion?

I have had sputum production daily for about 8 years. I have to say that this is a bit strange. .

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

I will check the internet next for any explanation and run it by my ID doctor after I hear back from any of you.

Hope all is well for everyone.

Russ 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Follow up on my post that started this discussion. If you remeber I started on the Bactrim on September 17. It is now Oct 2 and I am starting to get a small amount of sputum, at this point about 1cc. Still feeling ok, though a bit more tired maybe in the last few days. Wrote a letter to my ID doctor on Friday, so will see what he thinks. I have not  found any symposiums on BRX in the US so far.

This wedsite has several interesting studies, that perhaps any of us might be able to participate. Not saying that would be a good idea for anyone. The main interest is to see novel studies like "hydrogen inhalation" that are being pursued.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02765295?term=bronchiectasis&rank=11

If anyone know of a meeting to be held in the US let me know.

I feel like the character in Oliver Sachs novel, "Awakenings". But maybe there is something here than can be of benifit and long-lastingWill keep you'll posted. Last thing is: if we dont produce sputum is that a scene of less inflimation. Steve's CT scan may indicate that. By the way Steve my GP strarted me with a yearly EKG and Liver Enzymes while on the AZ.

Russ

• Posted

I'm on antibiotic therapy for the last month,azit-500,and also noticed sputum production decreased.Not complaining at all,it feels great, now if i can just get control of the breathlessness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.