Has anyone had tingling and numbness coming off cit?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I have been reducing Citalopram since mid september, from 20mg and am now on 10mg. Its been tough, and I have now developed hemiplegia down rightside of body and muscle weakness and am being tested for MS. I have also been diagnosed today with Hemiplegic cluster migraines, had already been diagnosed with hemi migraines a few years back, not sure why I am being re diagnosed but was. The coincidence and timing of all these symptoms which started at beginning of my tapering when the doctors gave me liquid citalopram which I had an extreme reaction too hasnt escaped me. Has anyone experienced something similar?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

by the way, my tapering has been all over the place and did a big drop in the end. on a positive note my head is as clear as day for first time in years.

• Posted

what symptoms did you have to make you think you were allergic to the liquid? i have left sided numbness on and off and migraines

• Posted

within minutes of taking it had what i can only describe as a head rush with severe head pain. nausea and virtigo. took a few weeks to settle, tried it again same thing happened without virtigo, awful stuff, not interested in a third attempt.

• Posted

Thanks to a wonderful person in this group, I checked the patient leaflet that comes with the meds, and Numbness and tingling is on there, so just need to ride out the withdrawals, and make a point of reading the patient leaflet in future.

• Posted

Hi Paula, yes, this is what friend also experienced. She was really worried she had ms. Seems like it is quite a common side effect of reducing.

• Posted

Thank you Ruth, it seems to be a common problem. I have gone cold turkey and all my scary symptoms have disappeared, and I am feeling unusually ok , am waiting for the big withdrawal to happen, I feel like its not going too, so wierd!

• Posted

maybe its the calm before the storm. Am actually feeling anxious about not experiencing anything.

• Posted

i quit mirtazapine 3 times cold turkey, the first 2 times were easy the third was hell! its luck of the draw, ive found citalopram much harder, i cut by 50 percent and for weeks felt great, too good in a way, then all hell broke loose, citalopram for some reason takes about 8 weeks for the withdrawal to hit you, i then updosed too late and im still trying to stablise now!

• Posted

Hi Toria, I remember when I came off Citalopram years ago and felt bad a few months after that, and never put that down to the meds until I read about protracted withdrawal. So am expecting something and am happy with my physical symptoms that I have suffered for so long disappearing. Fingers crossed.

How are you doing now Toria, I know all this hasnt been easy on you either.

• Posted

i dont think its protracted think its just the way citalopram works, im having waves and windows, in the windows the pain fear anxiety and racing thoughts are a lot less or go away

• Posted

Hi Toria, have you come off Citalopram?

I have had some with drawal symptoms. My head is alot clearer now and my scary side effects appear to have disappeared. All my numbness and most of the tingling has gone. I have had some tears here and there, expected that. Am extremely tired and the main withdrawal sympton is brain zaps, which come and go, had a bad lot yesterday really hurt my head.

Any idea anyone how long brain zaps last for?

• Posted

hi, my brain zaps and numbness etc happened earlier on then came fear racing thoughts anxiety etc! no im still on 6mg, glad to hear you have settled, how long have you been off for now? im about 5 months at this dose.

• Posted

hi toria cant now find our conversation just wanted to ask ime getting bad juddering again when i lay down

i had this at start of cit but it did improve a bit is it again the lowering of dose? Its so frightening will it go away?

• Posted

hi steve, yes the tremors are completely normal, i have them on and off, its a sign of your central nervous system trying to re'adjust to the lower dose, it is horrible, the last 2 days ive had tremors so badly but i know they will go away again, are you getting any exercise at all?

• Posted

hi not much exercise really and i have what feels like o horrendous cold all the time my nose just runs water

all the time ?

• Posted

Hi Steve, if you check the patient leaflet, it mentions your side effects, if they do not improve, its well worth speaking with your doctor.

• Posted

hi steve flu like symptoms are completely normal, i read a site called surviving antidepressants, i find they are much more knowledgable

• Posted

Surviving antidepressants is a fantastic site, highly recommend it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.