Has anyone had to take time off work with ESMYA?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

I'm on a day 20 of ESMYA and side effects have been tolerable at home. I just can't see me managing a full day's work and have actually been off sick for last 2 weeks. The main difficulties I've been having include:

1. Heavy period first 2 weeks (but not as bad as normal). However, after haemorrhaging badly at Xmas and losing over 30% of my blood volume, I now suffer quite severe anxiety with the bleeding and found it difficult to even leave the house initially. Bleeding has reduced but still there, on and off.

2. Extreme fatigue, I often have to sleep in the pm. Some of this may be due to the anxiety but I think it's the ESMYA. Thank goodness for an understanding hubbie as I also have 2 children at primary school.

3. Occasional headaches and light headedness.

4. Abdominal discomfort - a real aching sensation.

5. Dry red skin on my face that just keeps getting worse. Likely due to the hormone disruption.

I'd just like to ask if anyone else has had to take time off or do I just have to "man up" and get back there. Thing is, it's not a desk job. I'm a speech and language therapist on a really busy stroke unit - I'm on my feet the whole day, it's stressful as and very little respite. Think nurse in acute ward and you'll have a rough idea. Sorry for such a long post.

Caz

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all

Just replying about esmya side effects. I think the main one is the Tiredness and this for me is mainly in the hours shortly after taking it. The way I manage that is to take the tablet SHORTLY BEFORE GOING TO BED, and at least the tiredness is hopefully mostly while you are sleeping. I also find it knocks you out then and you wont have any problems sleeping usually.  I am usually OK the next day if I can get adequate hours in of sleep.  I have also had spells of dizziness and headaches when first start a course but it seems to ease up. I dont know if the body becomes more used to it. Of course we are all so different in how we react. This second time I had a few days of tender boobs and they hurt if accidentally touched but that passed. I have not had any skin effects myself. When I first took them I did have time off and have for the fibroids in general and luckily my manager was very understanding as she has had the same problems. If you can work flexibly it helps, so you can make up the hours when you feel better or something.       I sympathise for you Caz being on your feet if you feel rough. I hope the side effects ease up for you. 

• Posted

Thanks Shell. That's great advice about taking it in the evening. I'm just wondering how I go about switching to this time as I currently take it in the morning and it states in the leaflet to take it at roughly the same time every day. Do you think if I gradually shifted the time by an hour or so every day for a week that would be OK??
    • Posted

Hi Caz, It does say in the leaftlet too if you forget to just one, just take again at the next time, so in other words you could go 24 hours and resume and it will not really effect the treatment. I have forgot a tablet once and took a day later, so I cannot see why if instead of taking it one morning you just wait till the evening , that is what I would do. I am not the doctor of course but I cannot see that would be a problem. You are only going 10 hours or so late on one ocassion. You are not taking too frequently. You would then stick to every 24 hours again ( every evening).   It didnt have any effect on stopping my period when I forgot for a whole 24 hours on the one ocassion.  That was when I took the first 3 month treatment.       Just to add when I first started taking this second 3 month course (after a 2 month break) I got headaches in the first week getting used to it again and one evening and didnt take it one evening or the next as was thinking about whether I could continue (so in effect missed 2) I decided I would try again and then carried on after two missed doses and took regular from then on, did not get the headaches then. My first period did not come, so they are working even missing two (of course I would not advocate that, it was for a reason). I just think a gap of 10-12 hours on one ocassion would not be a problem. That would be my own decision for myself.  Taking in the morning could mean you are affected possibly by the tiredness whilst at work when need to be most alert ?             
    • Posted

Thanks Shell, that does make sense. Will try a shift over next few days.

Caz

• Posted

I had problems with cysts on my ovaries as well as many fibroids.  The biggest one being 3 cm.  I also suffered from IBS so badly it would make me vomit at times.  I was scheduled for a hysterectomy when I returned from vacation in July.  My periods were crazy painful and clotting and bleeding off and on for 20 days out of the month.  I am 50 years old and was trying to hold out for menopause as I have heard that the fibroids stops growing once you stop menstruating.  I couldn't wait.  It was so bad it was keeping me from functioning normally in my life.  I decided to try a natural remedy of Blackstrap Molasses and Apple Cider Vinegar and it worked!  I stopped bleeding the same day I started taking it.  I have no more pain around my period or ever for that matter.  My cyst doesn't hurt anymore so I'm convinced it's either getting better or it's gone.  I haven't had IBS in two months and my period was three days instead of ten with no more bleeding in between.  If you suffer from any of these ailments you should try this remedy.  I have since cancelled my surgery.  Good Luck to all of you.  I feel your pain.  

Here's what I take:

1 Tbsp Organic Blackstrap Molasses in hot water in the morning

1 Tbsp Organic Blackstrap Molasses and 1/2 tsp Organic Apple Cider Vinegar ("with the mother" - if possible) in hot water in the evening

It's important to eat healthy and stay away from processed foods.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.