Has anyone heard of frozen shoulder syndrome leading on to frozen hips?

Posted , 12 users are following.

About 9 months ago I suffered sever bilateral frozen shoulders. With Physio and various medicaments, 7 months on, it finally came back to 95% FRM and hardly any pain to speak of. Since then, the hips have gradually become very stiff and painful with similar symptoms as the shoulders...especially the muscles supporting the legs becoming painful as did the muscles of the mid-lower arms. Also the back muscles seem more affected than before. Has anyone any idea if the frozen shoulders affect the hips? I understand thyroid problems can be a predisposition...I have an underactive thyroid. Would be glad of your comments.

Chickabee

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I'm 59 and never suffered so much with pain in all my life.  I pulled a tendon in my right wrist this lead to a frozen shoulder in my right shoulder then because I was using my left hand for every thing I now also have a tennis elbow.  I'm in so much pain. I do attend a physio twice a week whom uses the electric wave massage on my arm and does a little massage in my shoulder.  I only take paracetamol once or twice a day when the pain I can stand no more.  Trouble is I am on levothyroxine so I can't take ibuphen  Now I wake up with my legs really hurting in the groin and behind the knees and I don't know whether this is because I'm using my legs to turn around in be because my arms are hurting so much?  I really hope something can put my mind at rest and help me out.  I'm now thinking something awful is wrong now that my legs are hurting.  

• Posted

Hi Hillybear,

I totally understand how distressing this is for you having suffered two FS at the same time...not nice.  The treatment you are having is much the same as I had, and thankfully it was successful after 8 months to the point of being more or less pain free so long as I didn;t over stretch in any direction.  The pain in the groin and behind the knee may or may not be related.  I've had hip pain since the shoulders healed (about 8 months ago now), but am more inclined to think this is acute arthritis.  I take Ibubrophen which eases it...and incidentally take Levothyroxine daily as well (have no reason to think these two drugs are incompatible).  However, I do think you should have your pain investigated as you are much younger than my 77 years, and you may need other treatment.  An X-ray and/or ultrasound may be offered to identify the cause of your pain, so do see your doctor without delay..especially if you are anxious.  Anxiety and stress are number one enemies to our health.  I wish you well and would be interested to know how you get on.

Blessings

Chickabee

• Posted

Hello Everyone - my sister and I have recently come up with FS and she FHip is there any 'latest' news that anyone can provide?

Tiffany

• Posted

Sorry i never see your reply here. Wondering if you and your sister are doing any better.

Im still having dificulties with my hip, going through different treatments right at the moment.

I wish you both are doing much better since this condition is awful.

Thanks and all the best to you both.

• Posted

I am trying an osteopath next week. I find cycling easier than walking so when my husband and I take the dog for a walk, I ride my bike beside them. I certainly have to stay away from high heels. I dance as a hobby and that has suffered. For now, I have had to alter my activities. Hoping the osteopath works, if not I may have to consider MUA. I had two frozen shoulders which took approx. 24 months to heal. I am going on 18 months with the hip and no end in sight.
    • Posted

Hi Dianelea,.

Sorry to heard about your hip. Im in the same boat. After 4 years Im still suffering, but this was also, because I had a shutter ligament on the side of the hip, it wasnt discovered up until 4 months from now and fixed. The Dr. Thought that probably was the reason why I couldn have any rotation but after 4 months is not inprovement and fianlly the Drs diagnose me with adhesive capsulitis after I had been telling them for years.

So I guess I had a ligament issue that cause adhesive capsulitis.

Doctores seem not to have much experience about adhesive capsulitis of the hip, but they seem to acknowledge capsulitis of the shoulder.

All the best to you and please keep us inform of tour progress. Im doing ozone injection on the joint along with injections in the muscles and seem to make a difference so far. I will be posting here if I get any results. I just had the 2nd injection a week ago and seems that I will need about 6 or 7

Thanks for your posting here and wishing you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.