Has anyone heard of frozen shoulder syndrome leading on to frozen hips?

Posted , 12 users are following.

About 9 months ago I suffered sever bilateral frozen shoulders. With Physio and various medicaments, 7 months on, it finally came back to 95% FRM and hardly any pain to speak of. Since then, the hips have gradually become very stiff and painful with similar symptoms as the shoulders...especially the muscles supporting the legs becoming painful as did the muscles of the mid-lower arms. Also the back muscles seem more affected than before. Has anyone any idea if the frozen shoulders affect the hips? I understand thyroid problems can be a predisposition...I have an underactive thyroid. Would be glad of your comments.

Chickabee

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

oh no! I just read this when I posted to Leslie998. sad so since I am going through the beginning of my 3rd FS and I have similar symptoms in my hip I feel a bit doomed! Can I please ask a very nubie question: What is an MUA?
    • Posted

Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA) and range of motion as in how your arm for example moves (ROM)
  • Posted

hi everyone..I am a newbie and stumbled on this website yesterday.

I live in Melbourne Australia and the reason I tell you this will become apparent.

I am 65 years old now and about 15 years ago (then 50 years old) I suffered my first frozen shoulder (my left) with one shot of cortisone and rest, to fix it.

Two years ago for reasons unknown, frozen shoulder developed in my right shoulder and two hydrodilitations later the shoulder remains stiff with limited ROM but at least there is no pain. I feel that gradually with normal daily use my shoulder will get better. I sympathise with you all for those in pain....it is almost unbearable

I even went to a chinese acupuncurist ( 75 years old) and he told me there are special chinese words in chinese language for FS or as they call it "over fifties shoulder"

The acupuncture did not help.

• Posted

I forgot to mention that it was a doctor here in Melbourne that perfected hydrodilitation.... administered under x ray

edgar313

• Posted

Hi Chickabee,

I just found this discussion today. I live Colorado, USA. I am coming down what I hope is the thawing of a shoulder. Sadly, my hip seems to be headed the same way. It started off with just a twinge of pain about 2 years ago where I was limping, but the pain was tolerable. At that time, my shoulder was in severe pain. I  went to pt, but would ended up in my car crying and be wiped for the rest of the day. My p.t. worked hard to free my shoulder up, but I did just give up with him and did excercises on my own. I hate pain killers, but did give in every now and then when I can no longer stand it. Now, my shoulder hurts less, but still not ROM. I cannot reach straight up. I am being considered for a clinical trial using medication that is used to unfreeze a hand. I am hoping to be picked as I really want motion. I am thankful for less pain there. 

That being said, my hip seems to have fully kicked in. I have no motion and can barely stand at times. We won't go into the words I use trying to get in or out of a low car. My pain is so severe that I went to my GP today but he is on vacation. Therefore, I saw his partner. He would not discuss frozen anything with me and said it had to be Osteo arthritis. I am not convinced. It seems like the same symptoms I had with my shoulder. And it is at its max right now. I am using a cane to get up and a thing (which I just bought) to get in and out of my car . I do not want to fall. I do water aerobics - modifying as I need. I would like to swim, but my one shoulder won't allow it. I think I will see what I can do to modify that. 

My other should is now showing the beginning signs. And my other hip is starting to hurt too. However, my hip just might be me compensating so much - not sure.

My GP has put in a referral for an orthopedic ASAP. I am awaiting the call.

Not sure what to do about the hip. It is about 10 times the pain that my shoulder was...... and I do cry about it...... 

Anyway, I will try to post as I continue my journey with both my shoulders and my hips..... Hope everyone finds solutions for their pains...

• Posted

Hi Dancermom,

What an interesting nick-name...are you a dancer?  From what you have posted I hope not, or this will be a double-whammer for you!

To your reply...most interesting.  I can fully sympathise with you.  First I would suggest that you read 'Frosty's comments...so sensible and needed for one's mental state through any frozen joint problem.  Secondly...there is light at the end of the tunnel, and it will help enormously if you can ge to grips with the fact that although it may be sheer hell to experience, it does eventually heal...especially if there is no surgical or damaging treatment in my opinion.  I (from England), started off with two frozen shoulders which healed completely in 7 months, followed almost immediately with two frozen hips...of 2 months.  Am waddling like a duck and like you am in fear of falling all the time, but I do have faith that they, like the shoulders, will heal in time if I follow the rules.  I know this is not acute OA, which I've had many times in the past...and usually heals in a couple of weeks if I cut out sugars and low carbs in the diet.  Looks like you have already sussed out what and what not to do as far as physio goes.  Just allow your body to tell you what is needed, and try not to be too despondant.  I am 76, so this has taught me patience and acceptance, but you may be younger, and may be more difficult to appreciate.  Look on it as a temporary handicap.  Little by little in a wobbly scale of success you will eventually get there, so please be good to yourself and have faith that things will eventually improve...albeit at 

Will be looking for your updates.

Blessings

chickabee

• Posted

Hi Chickabee,

Thanks for the response!

I am 54 and hate hobbling along like I am ancient. biggrin Wow, you have been hit by it all! I am jealous of the shoulders healing in 7 months.... My shoulder has much longer. It is nice to be past the horrible pain stage though. I keep hoping and pushing for the ROM to come back.

As for my nickname - we have a daughter who just turned 16. And yes, she is beautiful. She is from China and the an amazing gift to our lives.

I will try to keep up with updates. As my hip cripples me with pain, I do realize that my shoulder seems to be letting up steadily. I hope that I can report the return of ROM someday soon.

Thanks again,

Take Care,

Dancermom

• Posted

Hi Dancermom,

Chickabee taking only 7 months for a frozen shoulder to heal may sound fast and satisfying but she never had a frozen shoulder in the first place. I  had private emailing with her  some time ago  explaining that at her age a frozen shoulder is impossible. I have made further searches in orthopaedic journals and it clearly shows the difference between a frozen shoulder and a traumatic arthritis. We all know the freezing aspect of the FS. Now with the traumatic arthritis the condition is caused by even a mior trauma or repetative exercise such as Chicabee had. With a frozen shoulder it seeme well neigh impossible to exercise fully. Knowing that it is not a frozen shoulder makes it possible to continue exercise even with some pain. With in  a few weeks full range should be restored. Doctors it seems do not encourage early  movement and so the pain and stiffness will last between 7 ans 12 months. If the pain is too severe having an injection into the joint seems help. Now something new for me in a journal, If you have a shoulder condition which is painfull and not a frozen shoulder and not doing well on treatment have your doc do a " Suprascapular nerve block  under ultrasound". If you all remember a physio com chiropractor on the shoulder discussion group treated 12 year old with a "Frozen Shoulder", she was a swimmer. Swimmers and ball throwers of that age develop extremely sore shoulders and irritate the suprascapular nerve thus the pain. This injection seems quite miraculous.

Doctors PTs and Chiro seem to call any shoulder stiffness and pain a frozen shoulder.

• Posted

Hi James, 

With all my respect. Why are you so stubborn? You may have a lot of knowdlege but you dont know it all. Do not put in doubt people knowledge or feelings. Nobody better to diagnose then ourselves. We do know our body feelings and we have some knowledge also. Do not dismiss somebody else diagnosis just because you thing so.

I really appreciate your advice but have respect for other opinions.

• Posted

Hi nicoryan, I have little or no knowledge at all. The knowledge I have is to know what to look for in the most expert medical papers and publications. You say nobody better to diagnose than ourselves, even doctors go to doctors. I don't dismiss a diagnosis just because I think so, it is because the collected data says so. If a diagnosis is wrong then the treatment most often is wrong and therefore the pain lasts longer than it should. Doubt should always be put in peoples minds if the diagnosis does not add up. Do you think my descriptions in the dancermom discussion are wrong?
    • Posted

We all have access these days to medical papers and publications...some of which have proved to to be nonsense over the years.  I do say 'here, here' to nicoryan's response, mostly in regard to your attitude James.  Perhaps a little sensitivity to others feelings would make your comments more receptive to those of us who are relying on the professionals in our small world to give us their best advice.  To add confusion to our suffering is, in my opinion, rather cruel and unfeeling.
    • Posted

Hi dancermom.

Just wondering how your recovery of frozen hip are going. Im asking because after 2 years I see a very slow improvement.

Thanks and wishing you the very best. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.