Has anyone improved bone density by adding herbal infusions and collagen peptides

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,   I’m 56 with spinal osteoporosis.  Hips are okay.  I’ve chosen the natural path in dealing with improving bone density.  I’ve recently added  marine collagen peptides, and herbal infusions of nettles and oatstraw to my already healthy diet.  The herbal infusions are packed with minerals.... especially calcium.  But also have important trace minerals like silica and boron.  I’m drinking 1-2 cups daily.  

I’ve only added the collagen and herbal infusions a month ago.  It will be nearly a year before my next scan.  Has anyone added these to their diet?  Has anyone’s bone density improved after doing so?  Is anyone taking a comfrey infusion?

I’m also taking the usual D3, K2, Omega 3’s, and some extra Mag.  I no longer take calcium supplements as I get plenty in my diet.   And, of course weight bearing exercises.

I’m hoping the collagen and herbal infusions are going to be the missing link.  One thing that has already improved is my skin!  It has become softer, and more smooth.   

Thanks,

Sharon A

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No, I have not started those as I am only just becoming aware. I am guessing you are learning from the same source I am.

I am just understanding that we need to isolate the cause as well.

I will look into this now and compare with you down the track a way.

Thank for bringing this up!

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

I’m currently just going off of information from google searches.   I’m meeting with an herbalist in a couple of weeks for some real direction for the infusions.  I’d like to add some comfrey too, but feel that should be supervised.  The nettle/oatstraw infusions are quite nice.  Very refreshing iced with a squeeze of lemon on these hot summer days.  I take the collagen either in a coffee, cooked into oatmeal, or in a smoothie.

You’re right about ruling out the cause of bone loss.  I’ve had an extensive endocrine work up.  Everything came back normal which is good, but no answers....   The doctors are stumped.   I have my own theories.  1) I did no upper body work outs for 4 years due to left, then right frozen shoulders.  2) Drank mainly RO water since age 25.  3)  Ate a low fat, low protein diet for decades.   Those things combined with being a small boned, caucasian, post menopausal female.  

Loving all the good fats now, and also getting good cholesterol with eggs, grass fed beef, and grass fed raw dairy.  We need cholesterol so our bodies can use the VitD.  Also drinking mineral, and artesian water vs filtered.  

I don’t know if what I’m doing is right.  There’s so much conflicting information out there.  I do know that physicians are mainly pushing calcium, medications, and a few will add VitD and exercise.  I’ve never heard a doc mention VitK2, Mag, or trace minerals.  I feel like I’m left on my own to figure it out.  

My best to you on your journey to strong bones!  May be best to get cleared by endocrine before starting herbal infusions just in case there’s an underlying disease causing bone loss.  

Cheers,

Sharon

• Posted

Thanks Sharon. I think your answer could lie in hormones as post menopause is the hint for that. I could not take HRT due to two sisters and a niece with breast cancer.

Magnesium and vitamin D3 are two more suspects. Our soils are depleted so a lot of our trace elements are absent from our food.

Vitamin K2 is well known in Australia now so a good doctor here does know.

Other meds we are on impact too like drugs for Crohns. I have had intense hydro cortisone over a week in hospital followed by weeks on tablets to knock over a severe flare. Now in remission, thankfully!

Six pregnancies followed by breast feeding could also impact nutrients in my own body. 

The answers are complex. 

• Posted

You are so right Kathleen....   The answers are complex!  So many factors affect our bones.  

I’ve read some on the importance of gut health for bone density.  Keeping stomach acid for digestion, and absorption of nutrients through the GI tract are important.  

So great you’re in remission with your Crohn's.  It’s a double whammy with mal absorption and steroid therapy.  I hope you don’t have any more flare ups!

I did start HRT soon after diagnosis, but had been about 4 years post menopause when I found out about the osteoporosis.  I have a great new GYN that switched me to bio identical topical estrogen and progesterone.  There is controversy on if HRT actually helps bone density.  I’m on very low doses, and like the subtle effects (like better sleep!), so will continue for now.  

I think I read that some of the herbal infusions help heal the gut.  I can’t remember which one...   Bone broth helps soothe the gut and nurture bones. I’m looking forward to seeing the herbalist For more info.

Best wishes,

Sharon

• Posted

Thanks Sharon.

We make one bone broth/stew every week that lasts us about half the week. Then we have fish one or two nights a week and then vary the other night or so. 

Yoghurt is good too. By addressing the diet and making sure they are worthwhile and valuable calories I believe is important.

You are doing well. We keep learning new things like having the blood and urine work ups to diagnose any issues there that we can correct with nutrients or vitamins and minerals.

All the best, Kathleen.

• Posted

Hi Sharon, I'm just 50 and was diagnosed with Osteopenia 2 years ago following a wrist fracture and declined alendronic acid- sounds horrendous ! At the same time  I stopped working  and decided to give it a go with a more active lifestyle. My latest scan 2 weeks ago shows my bone density is worse but after what felt like pulling teeth I've found it's just my left hip - everything else is normal. I'm still not going to take alendronate and will start running, Pilates and weights coupled with some changes to my diet.....and keep my fingers crossed. Your comments about minerals in really interesting and new to me so will explore further ! Has anyone had any success going down a route that doesn't involve medication ? 

Rosie

• Posted

Hi Rosie,

I’ve read a few accounts of people increasing their bone density without meds.  I am hopeful!  Even if I can just maintain, and not loose more I’d be grateful.  

I think that bone health overall is more important than just how dense they appear on a scan.  How flexible they are seems helps with fracture prevention.  Bones need collagen and protein for tensilar strength.  The trouble with the meds(aside from all the nasty side effects) is they just make bone appear more dense on scans, but it’s dense with old fragile bone cells which could actually sustain a pathological fracture.  I know there’s other treatments aside from the bisphosphonates, but they are not without risk.  

My second scan was worse too!  It’s so disheartening and scary.  I dove back into researching bone health.  I had not been taking Mag, trace minerals, or collagen, and admittedly not doing upper body strength training.  Now doing work outs, and supplementing with marine collagen, Mag, and herbal infusions.  The hard part is waiting to see if it is actually helping!  

I think choosing not to medicate is a smart choice!  But I’m stubborn, and vowed to never take them😆   If you haven’t already done so, get an endocrine work up to make sure there’s no medical issue causing the decrease in your bone density.  So good you’re doing weight bearing exercises!  That seems to be a universal recommendation.   Speaking of exercise, it’s time for me to get up and do the same💪🏻   

Best wishes,

Sharon

• Posted

Thanks Sharon, for the advice and support. I now have both of my dexa reports in full (only had headline scores before) and it definitely shows left hip weakest but it also shows an improvement over the two years in my spinal score ! I'm finding it quite hard to follow all of the info so will book appointment with GP today. I haven't had a full bone work up so will ask GP how to get one. This has made me more determined to stay away from medication.  Good luck with your journey Sharon - I'll keep watching the forum ! 

Best wishes

Rosie

• Posted

Congrats Rosie!

That’s great news that your scores improved!!  So incouraging  for us all.  What have you been doing as far as supplements, food, and exercises?

Cheers to you!

Sharon

• Posted

Hi Sharon, thank you 😁. If I'm honest I haven't done as much as I should with diet but I have changed a fairly sedentary lifestyle (office based) for a more active one since leaving work. I ride 5 times a week - in itself not great for bone building but I think the mucking out and carrying heavy haynets probably helps😂. I've also started a Pilates class once a week which I supplement with 'at home' sessions at least twice a week including hand weight exercises. My lovely instructor is putting together a home programme for me to increase focus on my hips using resistance bands and other tools. I've also started running (or more accurately jogging!) using Couch to 5k app - I haven't been very consistent with this so def an area to improve on - is like to consistently do twice a week. 

Using loads of the in this forum I'm also making dietary changes now including adding foods for calcium and vitamin D and foods that contain natural plant oestrogen. I've also just read about the importance of bit K2 for bones - has anyone else researched that.   Apologies for rather a long post ! Just off out running now ! 

All the best. 

Rosie

• Posted

Hi Rosie,

You’re exercise regime sounds great!  I am mainly walking and using free weights and resistant bands for my upper body work.  Mine is in my spine, so I need a lot of upper body work.  

I think there was a study on Vit K2 done in Japan.  My doc said they prescribe a lot of vitK2 in Japan.  I take 180 mcg’s/day.  After diagnosis, I took Ca, vit D3, and K2 the first 2 years, and my T score was worse!  Devastated, I dove back into research, and added magnesium, and upped my work out.  Its just recently that I’ve added the collagen, and herbal infusions.  I’ve also added CBD oil which has been studied to support osteoblast production.  

Hoping for the best!!

Stay strong! Cheers,

Sharon

• Posted

Hello Sharon,

I also chosen the natural path and I'm on a mission to improve my OP, or at the least stop it from getting worse.

I'm doing weights and working my weak upper body like crazy.  I joined the gym and hire a PT because I had no idea what to do there. I do weights twice a week, and go to Zumba twice a week as well.  I average 10K steps per day. It's not easy and I don't enjoy the weights, but I'm committed to try it in hope of positive future results. 

I'm taking Calcium, K2, and Vitamin D3, but never heard of herbal infusions of nettles and oatstraw.  Where can I find information or the actual product? I am eating better, but my weakness are carbs and it's hard for me to stop eating them completely.  I love cheese, but can't eat much dairy products, unfortunately.   But I'm eating salads almost every day, fish, and eggs. 

I'm wondering about collagen because I can't take hormones due to breast cancer, and I sure can use something to help my skin. 

Best Regards!

• Posted

Hi Alicia,

It sounds like you’re are on a good path!  Look into adding some magnesium, silicon, and boron into your regime.  I take a Mag supp, but using the herbal infusions for the added trace minerals and added calcium as I quit taking the Ca supps.  

There is lots of info on line for making herbal infusions.  I put about 1/2 cup nettles, 1/2 cup oatstraw, 1/4 cup horsetail, and some red raspberry leaf in a quart mason jar.  Add boiling water to the top, stir, cover, and let sit overnight, then strain in the morning.  I end up with just under 4 cups of infusion which I refrigerate and drink over the next 2 days.  I order my herbs from Mountain Rose Herbs, or go to a local health food store.  I always use organic!  

While I researched on my own, and feel the infusions are safe and nourishing, I’ve also consulted an herbalist who is helping me with herb choices and rotations.   

I wish there were more studies being done!  I don’t know if what I’m doing will help me or not, but I feel it’s still better than taking the  medications....   such a tough personal choice for everyone.  

Keep up the great work!

Sharon

• Posted

Thank you for the infusion recipe! I will look for them on my next trip to the health food store.  I try not to think too far out.  My plan is to give myself a year or two and see if the changes made a difference.  In the meantime, I'm hoping to stay motivated and continue working hard on my body. I just got back from vacation, and it was hard re-assume my routine lol   

Best wishes!

Alicia

• Posted

Hello, do you have op on your whole spine or a single vertabra. Reason I ask is I got a problem with mine. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.