Has anyone managed to 'reverse' their fatty liver?

Posted , 18 users are following.

As my question asks, has anyone managed to do this and if so, how have you done it?  I realise it is a lifestyle change and i am doing that at the moment (ie going to weightwatchers, going to the gym) but apart from having the ferritin levels checked, how can you tell if the liver is 'repairing' from fatty liver?

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hope 2016 is a much better year like you I have had a year of worry. I managed to stay on a health diet,exercise and my condition improved I have go go back to hospital in 2 years to have a check up.

In the meanwhile I have found out I have rheumatold arthritis (hope it's not with all the extra walks and exercise ) I have to go on steroids to help my condition which is very painful ,I have little mobility. I know steroids help put on weigh so I really trying to stick to the health diet.

Hoping my next fibroscan scan/bloods stays ok.

• Posted

Reducing the fat contain in the liver is possible by diet and exercises.

Some fat contain in the liver is actully normal. The most important thing is too keep ALT level normal, which indicates if your liver cell is being damage, or inflamed.

If ALT level is high, you should try to lower your ALT levels, while trying to loose weight.

• Posted

What does ALT mean?  are you in the US or UK?  does it mean liver function test (LF)? same thing?  I will be keeping on top of these tests and so far the have been normal.
    • Posted

Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) is an enzyme found mainly in the liver. Elevated ALT levels can be indicative of liver problems. This enzyme is normally contain in the liver cells, when the liver cell is damaged, the enzyme will leak into our blood stream, causing a high ALT reading in our liver fucniton test (LFTs); A blood test to test the liver health.
    • Posted

I have just checked the readings from my last liver function tests (I'm due to have them done again soon as i have a liver cyst).  My ALT/SGPT serum level is 22 (range is 2.0 - 53.0).  Does this sound OK?  i know the GP said my results were normal.
    • Posted

Yes, your ALT level is great.

Normal range is usually under 40, but it might varies by different clinics, country or tabs. Anythign under 30 should be consider to be very good.

Maybe just adjust your diet would be able to reduce the fat contain in your liver in this case. But make sure you have regular check up on the ALT level.

• Posted

My last ALT was slightly out of range to high I was a alcoholic for years I've been stopped 9 years now but have a pain on right side dull ache had a scan for gallstones but nothing said I had a fatty liver scared the hell out of me I've 2 small orange patches under eyes another sign of fat etc I'm 16stone so overweight I've a liver function test in Monday dreading it but for a week I'm on veg and fruit drinks healthy teas and water lost 7lb so far in a week pain still there if I lose weight will my liver function tests get better also all will pain go I expect it to go after day 3 lol really gets me down I had this pain when I used to drink but thought nothing of it then when I stopped it went just the last year I've had it
    • Posted

I don't know why but with fatty liver they say you have to lose weight slowly and steadily as my first reaction was to lose weight quickly but I'm losing about a pound a week but I have a long way to go.  I get my liver functions tests coming up soon.  Don't give up as losing weight will be best thing for our health. 
    • Posted

Had a blood test done hospital said all good she said one of my liver tests was slightly out if range dont know which one said ideally between 10 and 20 mine was 29 said nothing to worry about is that good 29 all different sites give different ranges

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.