Has anyone out there been cured of Gastritis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I have Gastritis and just come off Lansoprazole and onto Omeprazole 30mg once a day.

Glad to find you can take it with food .Im generally ok during the day but things get worse at night with reflux acid burning my throat .I'm thinking of taking Omeprazole at midday so it lasts further into the night as the reflux is effecting my sleep I'm already raising bed small meals nothing after 7pm .

When do people take their Omeprazole?

Don't want to increase dose but maybe another 20mg at night would help .

Also has anyone out there been cured of Gastritis

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Alison. Ive been on lansoprazole for 2 years all was ok then january they seemed to stop working. The doctor wants to change me to omeprazole but im worried of the side effects..how do you find them in general. I have been told it takes a couple weeks for them to work in general. Have you been tested for H-pirol sorry cant remember the spelling! Its a bacteria in the stomach . Ive been told if you have gastrtits you should be tested. What are you main symptons? Zoe x

• Posted

I've only just swapped to Omeprazole will let you know .I started having bouts of nausea lasting 2 or 3 days then subsiding for a week or more ...My bowels habits changed and I became constipated ..I had tight chest feeling ..couldn't wear a bra and bloating .Since taking I started on 15mg Laprozole when diagnose with Gastritis upto 30mg Then the reflux kicked in especially at night So am trying Omeprazole 20mg once a day . Am doing all right things diet lifestyle etc ..jI have really sore throat with blood in saliva on in morning ..really worried I will end up with Barretts .Trying to keep calm and carry on .

I have had lots of tests ..including H .Pylori I'm clear .Endoscopy showed moderate Gastritis. When do you take your Lansoprazole morning or evening .One good thing is that you can take Omeprazole with food . Good luck.

• Posted

Hi i take 30mg in the morning and if im bad i take gaviscon before meals that really helps. I have silent reflux so no burning but burps get stuck tight chest and back pain...its horible i feel for you sad x
  • Posted

PPIs like omeprazole and lansoprazole are taken, usually, once a day. (Although some people split the dose and take them twice a day research evidence shows no advantage of doing that. But worth consideration if on high dose.)

They should be taken at the same time each day and are best before food. This is to ensure they are propelled into the duodenum for absorption. They are enteric protected to prevent being broken up in the stomach but if they reside there too long, they may dissolve there and become ineffective.

The best time to take them is half an hour before breakfast. That is the time most people find it best to become a habit. They work continuously and their efficacy increases after a few days build up. However, they are most effective for the 12 hour period after taking them which is why morning dosing is suggested to reduce acid production during the times that occurs. You are less likely to produce acid when sleeping and no food to digest.

If your problems are at night, it'll be more from the reflux than the acid. PPIs work on reducing acid. Unfortunately there is no simple medication for reducing reflux and it sounds as if you're doing the right things to reduce that.

If you think your nocturnal reflux is acidic, you may decide to take an H2 blocker (eg ranitidine / Zantac) at night to reduce the acidity.

Gastritis is usually caused by acid hypersecretion and usually clears up after a few weeks on PPIs. It can also result from H-Pylori bacteria which you should have been tested for. That requires a totally different treatment (combination of 3 different antibiotics).

• Posted

Thankyou so much for the information are you a member of the Barretts Wessex group. You are so knowledgeable and reassuring for others on this site .I thought reflux was acid forming . I have burning sore throats usually at night but sometimes during day .Terrified it may develop into Barretts ..I feel so exhausted with it all and I have only been on tabs for 1 month . Don't want to be on them long term .Thanks so much how do you keep so positive ! Good luck for the future .
    • Posted

You're correct. I'm the co-founder and chairman of Barrett's Wessex and author of the www DownWithAcid org uk book / website.

I try to be helpful.

• Posted

Can upper back pain be a symptom ? Im getting this a lot latley.
    • Posted

Hello Zoe, just in case Barretts misses your query, back pain through gastritis seems to be quite common. At its worst with me the pain in the middle of my chest/eosophagus has felt quite like it was in my back too. But it always pays to mention such things if you see your doctor, rather than assuime it's gastritis/reflux-related, just in case it happened to be something else.
    • Posted

Thanks Paul. I think a lot of it is stress related with me as this Illness stresses me out and that does not help.
    • Posted

Quite correct. The vagus nerve runs close to the stomach and oesophagus and referred pain may be felt almost anywhere - the back pain is often reported.
    • Posted

Without a doubt stress can make it worse, Zoe, or help the illness develop in the first place, which is why trying to minimise stress and anxiety is so important. But the illness and life generally can make them unavoidable for many people, and life-stress will be part of why there's such an increase in the number of sufferers, including the young, though clearly some foods and medicines/painkillers can play their part too, as in my case with the latter and three courses of antibiotics over a few months in 2012. I sigh.
  • Posted

Hello Alison,

My experience with gastritis regarding the acid reflux side of it became more of an issue through going to bed too empty, too long after my last meal. Apart from awful hunger and its discomfort, which would keep me awake or wake me up, I found that my stomach, abdominal muscles and/or eosophagus would suddenly spasm or contract and in some cases shoot acid up into my eosophagus, so that it was by not going to bed so hungry that I got this to stop. Whether this could help in your case only experiment would show, for we are all different. I lie down around an hour and a half or bit longer after last meal.

• Posted

Thank you Paul   horrible illness  one day Im fine  next feel rotten  with burning acid .  Im exhausted through poor sleep . 

• Posted

I know. I doubt I'll ever sleep normally again, simply through being ultra-aware of how delicate things are inside and how prone I am to set-backs and trying to stay in the position I feel is best for me. And it is a case, as you say, that a fair day, or even fair few hours, can descend into a set-back or downright hell the next, with me usually because I've overdone it with some new food I'm trying out, or eaten a meal a bit too big, etc.

I meant to say in my last comment, for Zoe too, that the likes of Gaviscon are best if not of the minty variety, as mint relaxes the lower-eosophageal muscle, which will of course make it easier for stomach contents to get into the eosophagus. I have a strawberry one for emergency times when I have a set-back or spasm as mentioned before.

Make sure to tell your doctor of the blood in your saliva, so they have every symptom noted, and also be aware of medicine side-effects that might show up. Sometimes they are mild and temporary and settle as the body adapts, but prolonged or immediate serious side-effects naturally need to be mentioned. I developed intolerable throat and mouth dryness through lansoprazole and don't have a PPI. Thoughts are with you and every other sufferer.

• Posted

I'm just like Paul, I can't go to bed on a empty stomach.  So I have to eat somethng 2 hours before bedtime. Now, I just had to give it a try and it was impossible for me to sleep if I eat my last meal 3-4 hours before bed.  Just recently I started to take something which I can't mention here and I stop eating at night. Last meal 4-5 hours before bed and I'm sleeping better and feeling better. Not 100% or 75%, but at least 50% better so looks like their is hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.