Has anyone out there had a "Prostate Artery Embolization??

Posted , 210 users are following.

I had one on September 10th, 2014 and would love to compare notes with anyone else that has had one.   Thank You.  ChuckP   PS Some people just call it a "PAE" for short.

8 likes, 2499 replies

2499 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Guys...I'm cancelling the HoLEP procedure that was scheduled at Mayo Hospital in Phoenix in favor of the PAE.  Now, I'm reading of success stories about Dr Isaccson from UNC...My insurance has been approved for the procedure at Alexandria Hospital and with Dr Bagla...can anyone tell me of success stories with Dr Bagla?  Seems this procedure would be a standard protocol but not necessarily.  That is, the embolization process once reaching the correct arteries...according to US News and World Report, once the catheter is guided to the correct arteries, tiny beads are released into the arteries to temporarily shut off the blood supply to the prostate gland.  I didn't know it was temporary...and I wonder if the amount of "beads" is a set protocol or experimental in nature...anyone know for sure? 
    • Posted

I've been told there is an art to the PAE and that they don't completely block the blood supply because they want to shrink the prostate - but not kill it.  Double-check me on that.

I think that most positive results have held up for at least 3 years and the reason they don't say it is longer is because that's all the data they have at this point.  Since it's a relatively new procedure.

In this forum tarzantheman and 1rphguy seem to have had positive results from Dr. Bagla.  

I think the PAE is a conservative option w/ very low possible downside health risks - so it makes a lot of sense to try it before Holep or something more drastic.   Good luck!

• Posted

That's my understanding as well. It's a matter of judgement as just how much the artery needed to be blocked. My guy seemed to have got it right because I am very happy with my results. 

I one hundred percent agree with you about doing the best least invasive method first...you can have a Holep later if you're not happy. 

• Posted

So glad I found this forum.  Initially, i thought that HoLEP must be the latest and greatest way to relieve symptoms from BPH.  I was already scheduled for the procedure before reading about the PAE here on this forum.  What a relief...I'm no spring chicken now, but the thought of retrograde ejaculation along with other potential sides of HoLEP caused a great deal of anxiety.  We need to keep the info flowing (ha)...maybe someone else will learn of alternative procedures.  There are many more on the horizon. 
    • Posted

I've read that they do kill off parts of the prostate and they are absorbed by the body and excreted. I have been in touch with Dr isaacson and all I can say is that this guy will call you on his cell as he's leaving a busy day just to update you on where you are in paperwork. I actually like being treated like a human bean. Can't wait to meet him. Trying to get my case referred over from the VA so insurance will cover it. However, if it doesn't happen, there has been talk of going the Inovo way in Alexandria, Virginia. They get your case preapproved before , so no $$ challenges hanging over your head. I willbe thrilled to nebver have to think about a catheter again, but the thought of some sexual function returning almost makes me giggle. However, my "poweres" left me after a fall downa flight of stairs and then surgery on my back...Then was "medically separated" from the Fire Department at Camp Lejeune after 19 years..only 1 year left to go for retirement. Workers comp has been laying it to me steadily, no vaseline, since.
    • Posted

Good luck with the procedure John.  I thought Dr Isaacson was a "real guy"...treatment like you get at Mayo.  I'm hoping Dr Bagla is every bit as personable and competent.  Let's hope you laugh all the way to the bedroom after the procedure!!
    • Posted

Interventional radiologists embolize (with beads) to many parts of the body.  This is nothing new, just applying it to the prostate is new.  This is why doctors are doing it even though the procedure has not been approved by the FDA.  Not all blood supply is blocked to the prostate, but enough where the prostate shrinks because of intentional ischemia (lack of blood supply). 
    • Posted

Woke up this morn  unable to go. Am trying all the tricks..anything to avvoid another catherterization. Anyone got any secret thigs to get a flow going?  Standing on toes and letting down slowly..putting pressure on bladder area....hot bath...cold packs? Anyone..anything? 
    • Posted

I'm very sorry to hear you are going through that.  Here's what a doc told me but I've only had limited success with them:

- bend forward while sitting on toilet

- valsalva maneuder: bear down - as when having a BM

- suprapubic tap: use fingertips to briskly tap the area between navel and penis. Repeat this tapping about once each second for 30 seconds.

- run water in sink or flush toilet

- run warm water over genital area

- place hands in pan of warm water

- drink while trying to pee

- muscle relaxation techniques

- stroke inner thigh to stimulate urination

- walk & exercise

- play noise of water sounds

With regard to self cathing, I resisted for several months, but once I did it I realized that learning how and actually doing it were much easier than I had thought.  Much less painful than when it is done to you and gives you a security blanket.

Good luck!

• Posted

Doubled up dose of tamulosin, took selenium, saw palmetto (as I am out of beta sitosterol) melatonin, drank warm glass of water with 1/2 tbls of baking soda and hot bath...got a flow going. This is what p*sses me off, is that there is a PAE with my name on it and all that has to happen is for the VA to refer me over to Chapel Hill.
    • Posted

I've been really close to that position.  I'm no Doc, but removing the idea from my mind, taking a walk around the house, brewing a cup of coffee, that usually give me time to relax and release.  If that didn't do it for me, to avoid any further stress, anxiety, I'd head to the ER.  Keep us posted on your condition and good luck!!
    • Posted

John,

i am with arlington on the self cath idea. As bad as it sounds it is fairly easy to do and sure beats fighting the retention problem which can be painful. Have your urologist give you a handful of samples and train you. It will help you get thru the bad times until you can get PAE done. 

• Posted

I'm 2 months post PAE.

Best thing that ever happened to me.

As others have said my quality of life has sky rocketed.

I now realize and see in hindsight that living with the urgency and frequency was indeed delibitating in so many ways. My life revolved around where I could pee next. It negatively affected every part of my life.

• Posted

John, this sounds like I'm joking, but I'm not. Beer always seems to relax my prostate, and seems to make me urinate. Let us know if it works for you.

Neal

• Posted

Still have most of a 12 pack of Heineken left over form last year...Was actually thinking about that.
    • Posted

I posted a link to UNC-CH that described the process in detail. Apparently whoeveris "monitoring " this forum de,un,not posted it...Why? Got me. Just do a search for PAE at Chapel Hill, NC. Plenty of info there.
    • Posted

and good news to follow up with..was able to hold off until double meds and a handful of aspirin (anything to get inflammation down) took effect but it seems like I took in a whole lot more liquids than I got rid of today.However, I'm packing for a move,outside, and it's in the 90's. I'm thinking I've sweated most of my intake out.
    • Posted

I'd go easy on the NSAIDS as I discovered they cause urinary retntion.
    • Posted

did you get an open MRI or was it a closed one? I am scheduling a PAE with Dr. Bagla , and they have sent me aprescription to get an MRI done before they schedule the procedure. I am Clausterphobic and would prefer to get an open MRI , but don't want to sacrifice the quality of the image either. Please send me your comments...

• Posted

I agree Michael. Its funny but retrograde ejaculation doesn't seem to get mentioned much here. I wasn't looking forward to it either as it is almost 100% with Holep or TURP. 

My wife is also glad I had a PAE...she likes my little puddles :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.