Has anyone out there tried bioidentical hormones?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been in the battle for four years now, and my body feels like it is growing weary. I keep thinking just around the corner it will be over with, but so far it keeps going on and on....with the rocking boat feeling, and hot flashes getting worse. I take a black cohosh supplement, and vitamins. I continually deleting things out of my diet due to they make my symptoms worse. It has been suggested to me to try bioidenticals. I am wondering if they really work, and the risk of cancer scares me. However I am at my wits end with menopause, and really dont want to spend the next ten years or....dealing with it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Goatgirl,

It really depends on your body's needs at the present time. Biodenticals, as well as the synthetic HRTs can be helpful, if you need them.

I am presently taking Prometrium which is a biodentical form of progesterone. I take it because apparently there is a need to oppose the levels of estrogen in my system for the present time. This is ever changing. I imagine there will be a time I will be genuinely low in estrogen, but for now, this works fine and for me, much better than the synthetic form.

Please find a doctor that is open to working with you regarding biodenticals, if that is where your comfort level is at. They can best determine what you need, no sense guessing at this point as if it's wrong, you will feel worse than you do now. 

Hoping you feel better soon!

Anniexx

• Posted

Thank you for the info.! I did go to a doctor who specializes in bioidenticals. I was low on estrogen, (through a saliva based test)  but afraid to start it because of the cancer risk. She said it is a slight risk compared to like HRT estrogen. I did try progesterone, at first I slept great, and then on day three I found myself becoming very agitated, so I quit. So I am thankful for any info. on folks who have tried it, because as I stated I am getting very weary in body.
    • Posted

goatgirl, 

Please keep in mind that progesterone is an anti estrogen, it has many opposite effects on the body than estrogen.  They are kind of a ying and yang sort of thing.  If you don't have enough estradiol to support the progesterone, you would have some bad symptoms.  

So yes you will need the progesterone if you have a uterus, but estradiol is the place to start.  Remember, start low, go slow and monitor your levels along the way.  

• Posted

Hi:

Research yrs. ago that frightened us about cancer was done on Prempro, no longer available.  Compound Pharmacist said we need to use progesterone if we are using estrogen but can use the progesterone by itself  Like Gailannie said it is a balancing act.  I use the progesterone alone and rid myslef of the fluttery heart, sweats, lost sleep, most of the stress, feel much better. There was doctor who did considerable research on hormones after the cancer scare.  Dr. John Lee. If you look him up ignore all the advertising for the books, look at the info, find articles, info. by others so you can get a clear picture.  His organiztion went crazy on selling books after he passed away.  I hestitate to recommend anything to others, however, I heard about this dr. 17 yrs. ago and know many who have used it for quit some yrs.  I am still looking for other info. about the product to keep on top of it.  I know nothing about estrodiol and will look to see what it is, I hear it mentioned often.

There is so much controvery about everything, I do research on stuff before I try it so I just do what is right for me.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

goatgirl,

If you are low in estrogen, than you will need that as well. At last testing and type of symptoms I was having, I had more than enough estrogen but pretty much zero progesterone. This changes, so it's good to have a doctor that can help make the adjustments as needed for you.

I do hope you find help soon as I know how frustrating it can get feeling so out of sorts.

• Posted

Thank you for your imput, I am going to give it a try, and see if things change.
  • Posted

Yes, been on them for 25 years - pellet implants, then patches, and gel to supplement the patches.  Oestrodiol - if getting patches, make sure they are MX (matrix) maybe called different where you are.  They release the oestrogen slowly, not all in one go.  I found a compound chemist who makes the pellets same as the original, so I am going back to them.

I am not going to stop using them.  Don't believe the flawed research.

• Posted

Thank you so much Sheryl37154! The doctor I go to has them come in a trochy form which you put in your cheek to dissove. This is so encouraging to hear. Thank you again!
  • Posted

I too am trying to find out more about this. I went two different doctors at my surgery and was met with blank expressions. They have never heard of it. I have read up and really liked the sound of it. It seems only the private health care is where you will find they use it. I contacted a clinic in London that deal with it but the costs are very high. To me it sounds like a better way of administering HRT because the hormones they give you are specifically for you. If I could find someone in my area that did it, I would 100% be giving it a go. NHS just don't seem to recognise it or can't afford it. Have you tried asking your doctor about it. You might have better success than me. Good luck 😊
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply! I did go to a doctor well actually she is a nurse practioner with a higher up degree in womens natural health. I did the saliva testing, and got the results, but was afraid to take due to the cancer risk. So being able to talk to women who have tried it is awesome ( as in the previous contacts) Hope you find someone to help. Thanks again!

• Posted

I have two friends who tried the troches.  They are made for those who seek 'natural'.  They are not oestrodiol.  And, apart from the enormous cost, they did not work for them.

I went on the highest strength of implant pellet (into a fat pad usually on the abdomen) first up, same with patches, and gel.  No mucking around trying this and that.  When the oestrogen kicked in, I felt a sort of surge in the breasts, similar to when the milk comes down when breast feeding.  After that the feeling goes away.  Perhaps if that feeling continues, it could be an indicator if you are getting too much oestrogen, and you can try a lower dose.

• Posted

Thank you so much I will look into that, I had not heard of of any of those options before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.