Has anyone out there tried bioidentical hormones?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been in the battle for four years now, and my body feels like it is growing weary. I keep thinking just around the corner it will be over with, but so far it keeps going on and on....with the rocking boat feeling, and hot flashes getting worse. I take a black cohosh supplement, and vitamins. I continually deleting things out of my diet due to they make my symptoms worse. It has been suggested to me to try bioidenticals. I am wondering if they really work, and the risk of cancer scares me. However I am at my wits end with menopause, and really dont want to spend the next ten years or....dealing with it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Goatgirl,

I too am currently using bioidenticals.  The rule is start low and go slow, measuring your hormone levels all along the way.  I have been in menopause since 2008 and did very well for quite a long time, but over the years saw my strength, attitude and energy simply tank.  Then got into vaginal atrophy, dryness and painful sex, (what little I was having because my libido was also in the dump.)

I agree with Cheryl, about not listeneing to the research that only used Premarin and Prempro (WHI).  But this really does become a quality of life issue.  Your body is screaming for something and blood work might tell you what's out of whack.

Hope you find some answers and a doctor who knows what he/she is doing.

• Posted

Thank you gailannie!

I am so thankful for your reply, and the more I read I feel encouraged to give it a try. Thanks again!

• Posted

I am on estrdiol and provera and its starting to help me. My OBGYN told me that a low dose of estrogen is what you really need to help with the menopause symptoms and then you have to take a small amount of progestreone with it to keep cancer away from down there. My OBGYN told me that ladies who take 100 or 2000 mg of progesterone thats a birth control form 

He told me that estrogen is what we really need for these symptoms 

• Posted

thank you so much for the info. I really appreciate it!
  • Posted

Hello all,

Really struggling myself, but if honest reluctant at present to shell out money to doctors in London, costs for consultations seem pretty steep to me.  Doctors of no help, usual take prozac...it's all in you mind...not..

Being a sensible soul I appreciate the need to reappraise one's life style etc, but I am struggling..what do I do? 

Sorry to highjack discussion!  I do think bio's may just work better..goatgirl thanks for starting this discussion, I note that you mention taking bio's in "troch" form, - oral?  Are you based in UK?  I don't think we have any "compound" names escapes me, pharmacies here?

Sorry just worn out today, and brain appears to have shut down for day.

• Posted

Hi , I am in the US, in the state of Minnesota. You are right it is a huge struggle, and any comments are welcome to me!!! Just so glad that I am not alone in this struggle.
  • Posted

Hi Goat Girl

be careful with black cohosh - its something i wouldnt take - it can cause liver damage and should only be used short term ..

jay x 

• Posted

I quite agree with Jaynee on black cohosh!

One thing I have learned about "trochs" or lozenges is that the hormone is better absorbed due to delivery, hormone is absored slowly into blood stream, different delivery to creams or other oral method...I read about this, has not occured to me before now. 

So I would say that your "trochs" may help you  better, small uptake by liver more of hormone slowly released into blood stream.over a period of time..this sounds like the perfect way to take hormones..I am guessing...?

I think in US things slightly more advanced than here...or maybe we just have to pay more...but the idea of saliva testing rather than a blood testing seems to be the more sensible thing..

I think in London we'd pay through the nose..ie a thousand or so..last time I looked Dr Studd and his peers were all charging quite a bit, and what concerns me is the one glove fits all approach...

good luck with your meds, sounds like your on the right track!

weary of Wiltshire!

• Posted

i sure appreciate your help, and thank you!!!! I will be starting them this evening, and will let you know if something changes. Hopefully the rocking boat fun will go.
  • Posted

Also just want to say that I am going for some adrenal tests nest week all thankfully on NHS - my own muddled thinking tells me that if the adrenals are stressed than possibly nothing will help until adrenal problem is addressed..just thought I'd mention this one ....still looking into this..
    • Posted

Let me know what you find out, I have been reading on them also, and have wondered if that was not the problem. I feel like my body is exhausted, and at the end.
  • Posted

Hi GG, whereabouts are you? UK, EU, US? Bioidenticals can be prescribe by standard doctors and they exist in pharmaceutical brand names too. So you have them compound - for this you'll have to go a private consultant and you have the prescription type. typically estrogen = estradiol patches or rub-on gels (several brands) ; progesterone = progesterone capsules in the UK= Utrogestan; EU = same + Progeffik, in the US = Prometrium. If you go through the posts here you'll find lots of info on it. If you wish to know what's bioidentical pharma and what's not in google "Harvard bioidentical hormones" and you'll find a list. 
    • Posted

Thank you Teresa! I will start using a troche approach, as that is what is offered where I live. I near a small town in north central Minnesota. I will google that site, and check it out. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.