Has anyone’s eyes gone back to normal after stopping gabapentin

Posted , 11 users are following.

Eyes are doing my head in 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have never written here and its been so long that I had to reset my password in order to log on to respond to you.  But I feel like its important.  First let me say, I was on the maximum dose of 3600 per day (900 x4) for more than 3 years so please put that in perspective.  Also know that it does get better.  I have been off this dose for six weeks, cold turkey, (bad idea but I didn't know what was to come and once I started I continued because I didn't know what was happening to me and that these symptoms were from withdrawing).  There probably aren't official medical studies on this.  I confirmed my symptoms by reading other forums.  I thought I was very ill with something else not realizing how sick with withdrawls I could be.  For starters, profuse night sweating, the only symptom I still have.  I change my bedclothes 3 to 5 times each night.  Other symptoms are a burning sensation down the fronts of my legs, confusion (if more than one person was speaking to me at a time I would have to leave the room, random bursting into tears, hopelessness, racing heart mostly in the morning.  All of the symptoms except the night sweating is gone at six weeks, so please don't feel like its endless or hopeless.  I wanted to write these things here because I seriously thought I was dying, and I want you to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I did read that a serious symptom is seizures from withdrawl so please if you feel like you cannot cope you should talk to your doctor.  I did not but looking back I probably should have.  Warm showers help.   I would also pray A LOT and meditate.  It's good to be in a quiet warm place and just breathe and know that this will pass.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Was laying on my bed staring into space just wondering wether this is ever gonna end.. & then your comment come up.. 

Thankyou so much suzie, it means a lot that you’ve commented.. 

this really is a nasty drug it’s caused me so much problems, mainly mental problems & my eyes. Just can’t be around people because my eyes are not working right. My mind is so dark right now.. but reading your comment has made me feel some comfort. 

Did you have problems with your eyes ?? If so, has it got better ??

I’m not gonna be stuck like this forever am I?? Terrifies me.

I do pray a lot but only by talking to god asking/begging for this to get better.. not sure if I’m praying right if that makes sense?

I’m on day 12 now. I quit cold turkey too. Wanted the horrible stuff out my system as soon as possible.

Is you mind back to normal? Or atleast a lot better than what it was ? 

Again Thankyou so much for your comment suzie 💕 

God bless 

• Posted

Do your eyes swell become puffy and do they look crossed?

Halfway closed?

Please elaborate on the "eye" thing.

• Posted

I am new to this but I wanted to thank you for sharing with us your situation with Gabapentin. I have been on for over 2 years now 900 mg.  I'm going out of my mind and Im tapering off slowly. I tried going cold turkey but that was horrible so going slowly for now. I am very scared now that I read about a seizure possible with the withdrawal. Meditation does rotate screen.  Thanks again.

• Posted

How are your eyes? I'm having horrible eye issues. Double vision and my eyes are puffy and look like they are half closed. I'm nauseated and feel super anxious. I was only on 600 MG a day but got so depressed and my eyes scared me and still do. I've been off Gabapenten for 6 days. Is it normal to still have the eye issues? I'm freaking out.

• Posted

Hi just read your post and my eyes are so bad right now I thought I needed new glasses. Im afraid to go for an exam my eyes are so bad. Tearing blurred vision puffy and also look as if they are half closed. Everyone keeps saying that this will all go away Im praying Im stuck on 100mg from 900. When I tried to cut it by 100 I feel like Im going out of my mind.  Chills, anxious, memory issues, can't stand loudness and so so sad and depressed I don't dare tell my doctor she'll probably suggest antidepressants and I don't need that now do I? I went out the other day with my husband and that felt somewhat good. First time in a long time because haven't felt like being near other people. Like everyone one else I guess its one day at a time. Thanks for listening. Oh I forgot to mention the insomnia is horrible that is why Im up at 3:30 am posting this. Good luck to you.

• Posted

I am at this very moment sitting outside the radiology place. I just had an MRI on my brain. Ugh. My regular Dr wants to rule out anything else. My double vision is still bad. It is worse when I look to the left. And I'm so nauseous. I went to the ophthalmologist for a complete exam and my eyes are great. So it's not my eyeballs. I actually had an anxiety attack last, which I've never had before, the other night. I feel like all around crap. The dr gave me some Xanax for emergencies. I pray this is all from the Gabapenten. I hate feeling so out of control. How long before it gets better! Ugh

• Posted

Also the ophthalmologist said it could take weeks for the nervous system to get back to normal. I know about the sadness. I was so depressed I didn't even want to get out of bed. I'm praying for both of us. ??

• Posted

You sound like how I felt.  My right eye teared non-stop and still does some but then again I am in Maine and its terribly cold here but that is something I left out.  No vision problems.  Please trust that soon this will be a distant memory, although you'll never forget it, it will be in the past.  Time just needs to do its thing.  And there's no wrong way to pray, however you pray is the right way.  Please talk to someone you trust or seek medical attention if you feel like you cannot bare it.  I found that my low dose prescription of Ativan did not help and also read that when people withdrawing sought medical treatment that Ativan didn't help them either so I am afraid that time just needs to do its thing.  The most important thing to know is that the severe symptoms will pass in some time and so you can be hopeful that better times are ahead.  While I was going through the worst of it, I wasn't so sure if or when it would end and wish I knew then what I know now that it does get better so hold on! 

• Posted

If you can get some vitamins, multi vitamins, I read that magnesium helps.  Also stay hydrated.  Bananas are good for leg pain and lots of water, cranberry juice, orange juice.  You'll be exhausted.  That too will get better.  At this time all of the horrible symptoms except for profuse night sweating and occasional tearing of the eye which was quite bothersome in the beginning is gone.  Take care of yourself.

• Posted

If I can get through this, you can.  I am so sensitive.  Your skin may be sensitive.  That's another thing.  If anyone touched me, I felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin and was very jumpy.  This too will pass.  I have to reiterate, if I can do this, you can and I don't know you but I know me and I have a difficult time shaking things and tend to dwell and think too much and I have come through this.  You will have learned how strong you are at the end of this.  I know that I will be super careful going forward about what is prescribed to me.  This was called "non-habit forming".  They have not researched this bad medicine enough.  Bad drug.  And I have been prescribed all sorts of things for spinal/nerve pain over the past ten years.  Again, take care and best wishes.  I will be away from my computer until Monday but please if you have other questions or just need encouragement, I will check back then.  I'm rooting for you.   

• Posted

I've been off for 2 months and I still get really dizzy in the morning and I guess you can say I have vision problems. My vision isn't the real problem though, it's my skin. I have burning nerve pain and skin crawls, I am extremely sensitive to touch and I feel my clothing on me all day everyday. It's like my skin is an electric force field. I also am nauseous, confused, depressed, and overall have a s****y feeling throughout the day. I'm suffering 2 months after cold turkey with no end in sight. It's a miracle I haven't killed myself yet.

• Posted

Lukas - are you feeling better yet?  I see you posted this two months ago.  I really hope so!
    • Posted

Yes, I am completely symptom free. It took a good 3 months to feel somewhat normal again. And abstaining from all drugs and alcohol helped me the most after the 3 month mark.
  • Posted

My eyes still feel like they want to cross every now and then out of no where. I get this pressure and then feel the sensation like they want to cross. I get that less often but I still get it to where it kinda bothers me. I've been off Gabapentin for 5 weeks now. I also get weird eye pain/pressure like if Im looking up for too long, or down too long or out of my peripheral vision too long. I also notice at night, I need to rock my leg to self soothe or if I'm at a meeting with other people, I have the urge to rock myself. Anxiety has been heightened but the heart palpitations stopped thank God and my shortness of breath is getting much better.

My bf told me that he had the feeling like his eyes wanted to cross a few months after stopping the gabapentin but then the eye sensation stopped and his eyes felt better so Im sure eye problems will stop as time goes. I have so much hope they will. I also drink mainly water and take a multi vitamin. Chamomile tea is also good for the central nervous system. My best advice is time, natural remedies to help the central nervous system (because that's what gabapentin was affecting), and meditation along with deep breathing for when you feel overwhelmed with the eye thing. This too shall pass my friend. Thank God this terrible drug is out of our systems. Our bodies just need to get used to getting back to normal. I wanted to go to the eye doctor to switch from glasses to contacts but now I have to wait due to the lingering eye issues gabapentin has brought me. Ah well Im thankful that I have sight. Oh and i went to my doctor and told them about the withdrawal symptoms and he said "Well the Gabapentin should already have been out of your system by now." I had to do my own research and discover even though the gabapentin may be gone, it left after effects on the body and now the body has to try to get back to normal and I hate that doctors seem to not want to understand or see this. Oh well, we'll be okay and the eye issues should subside in more time. Please keep us updated. Ill come back and update myself later on down the line when Im feeling back at 100% or at least closer to that. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.