Has anyone's vertigo caused a lack of sleep?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I don't know if it's anxiety or what it is but I don't sleep well anymore.

I'll fall asleep for a few hours then wake up. Like tonight I fell asleep by 10, woke by 1:30, was awake until 4:30 then fell asleep. I've must've woken up 20 times since then. It's like my body is startled awake and I feel lightheaded and that stupid high pitched ringing in my ears is so loud.

I did manage to sleep for a half hour but had 2 crazy dreams and one was about being at the doctors telling them I'm dizzy. Even in my sleep there's no escaping this ugh.

Anyone else have trouble sleeping?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Probably when you awake, your awakening is worse than normal because your vestibular system is "switched on", and the experience prevents you from falling asleep again.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I, take a natural,sleep aid before bed and it works great
  • Posted

Yup this is me! I think it's anxiety and I think I'm spinning out so I wake up a lot. Mine started when I woke in the middle of the night so I'm on edge
    • Posted

I'm glad I'm not alone at least.

Yes it feels like u spin out! So crazy!

• Posted

Oh and middle of the night is the worst! Ugh. Just keep telling urself ur gonna be ok. That's what I try to do.
    • Posted

I sleep with a hallway light on and my door slightly open so when I wake I can see my surroundings. I think anxiety is such a big thing with this illness! I swear that's why I have tinnitus now from anxiety and stress
    • Posted

Omgosh so do I! I sleep with a lamp on incase I wake up dizzy so I can see!

Anxiety is horrible with this! Makes me think the worst.

• Posted

Same here. Anxiety sucks. I have never been anxious before! Do u have VN?
    • Posted

I've undiagnosed for 12 years. I'm only 28.

My current ENT says chronic sinusitis but I'm going back tomorrow cause I don't think that's right at all.

• Posted

Same age as me :-) they said mine was probably a viral inner ear illness but no one knows lol. I had all the symptoms tho! Except I had it for 9 weeks with no tinnitus and then it randomly started and has been constant for 2 weeks. That's why I think anxiety started mine off
    • Posted

Really? I've never met someone my own age with this. That's so refreshing! Lol

Mine started in 2004 with two inner ear infections but this last year has been the worrrrrst. I started having vertigo attacks. So scary I friggin hate it!

I never had tinnitus either until this year so don't feel bad it basically just comes out of nowhere.

So who knows anymore at this point lol

• Posted

Ringing is fluid. The lightheaded is the fluid messing with ur inner ear.
    • Posted

Whatever it is, it's anxiety inducing & horrible! Lol
    • Posted

That's true it can be. In my experience it's been fluid that is Amplified because it makes you feel light-headed which then brings on the anxiety.
    • Posted

How do u get rid of fluid? My doctor checked my ears and said they were fine
    • Posted

The lightheaded feeling is the worst of all, I think. Scares me & makes me think I'm going to pass out.
    • Posted

I get light headed too but only for a few seconds but it's enough to make me feel anxious

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.