Has anyone taken 5 weeks or longer to feel better with Mirtazapine?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have now been on Mirtazapine almost 5 weeks and I would like to know if anyone has taken longer than this for the 30 mg to work. It seems to be every other day that I feel fantastic and think this is it. Then the next day I get that awful feeling back again. Has anyone else had this experience with this drug. I am lucky in the fact that I do not have any of the side effects that I have read on the forum.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Patricia - good to hear you dont get side effects. For me it seemed to kick in about a week. Are you taking anything else? David.
  • Posted

Hey, I was the same..I'd have a series of good days...and then I'd go back down hill again. I was on 30mg for just over 8 weeks and then I upped to 45mg...I've only been on the 45mg dose for 6 days, but felt an improvement already... hoping this is all I needed to help x
  • Posted

Hi Patricia,

Yes try to stick with it, it took at least 4 to 5 weeks for me to start feeling better, a little longer to stop having bad days. I am feeling so much better now, I've been on a 30mg dose for nearly 12 weeks now. I never really feel down anymore, I still get anxiety about stuff though, but rarely and I'm not constantly on edge with anxiety like I was before starting mirtazapine.

Hope you start to feel better soon and stay better smile.

• Posted

It wasn't until I was put up to 45mg that I started to find any real benefit, and even now months on I have bad days, or bad 3-4 days sometimes. But overall I feel brighter than I did, so stick with it and maybe suggest going up to the full dosage ... or try a different drug til you find the one at the right level that works for you.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I will stick with them for another couple of weeks. I am going to Spain on Monday to visit my daughter and if I am no better I will go back to the GP and try the 45 mg. I have been lucky not having side effects, except for feeling slightly more hungry, and I am worried about getting some of the horrendous side effects that I have read about on here. If anyone else has taken 45 mg could you let me know what the outcome was please?
  • Posted

Hi Sunset I am delighted to hear you are feeling so much better (have you been to the gym yet? LOL) you really do give me encouragement to carry on.
  • Posted

Hi Patricia,

Hope you enjoy your trip to Spain and seeing your daughter, will be nice in the sunshine!

No i haven't yet lol, i haven't made the effort yet but at least i'm honest lol.

• Posted

You will get there eventually and it will really help, believe me, especially if you go to classes and you have people there as well. Well the last couple of days were hell and I was really giving up on the Mirt then today I am great. Mind you I don't know what tomorrow will being. Still I do think they must be working and I am definitely feeling more hopeful. I have been reading several comments on various Forums and in the main they are all good.

I am looking forward to seeing my daughter and hopefully some heat.

Thanks for getting back and do keep me informed to how your doing especially when you do get to the gym.

Pat

• Posted

Pat I've now just almost completed 7th week and I'm feeling really good x
  • Posted

Hi Jacqueline. I have been in Spain for three days now and I am feeling awful./ Today is the worst day so far. Of course I can't do anything until I get home next week but reading that you are feeling so good after 7 weeks gives me fresh hope. When my daughter read it she said I too should wait for 7 weeks. Did you start feeling better towards the 6th week? I had several good days when I was at home. What dose are you on? We have been having wine every night and I wondered if that could be the problem. Do you ever drink?
  • Posted

Pat this is the best week feeling great back at work and in good spirits... week 6 I was still having good and bad days... I don't drink at all pat.... I am on 30 ....I think that the wine may not b helping but a long as ur only having some in moderation as everyone does on holiday.... if I continue to fee like this I will b delighted ... u know ur own body and mind don't struggle on for to long... as u say u can't do anything ti u gt back ... c how u

Feel.... try enjoy the rest of ur stay x .kp me posted x

• Posted

Do people normally take the whole 45mg at night?
  • Posted

I take 45mg at 10pm every night and have no sleep issues doing so smile
  • Posted

Hi Pat

I saw you haven't been feeling great whilst on your holiday. I would say it's most probably due to the wine. I tried a glass of wine one night and the next day I felt absolutely awful, I felt like I needed to recover the whole next day. Alcohol is also a depressant, so it's likely to make you feel bad. I don't drink any alcohol now, I have heard of people that do still drink though, but I decided it didn't make me feel good. Maybe you might be able to enjoy wine more when you are feeling a little better.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

• Posted

I tried a few glasses of wine just a few days into starting my 45mg dose...and it wasn't good. I felt awful for a week after. Best to avoid alcohol until your mainly completely stable xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.