Has anyone taken L-Glutamine with Prednisone?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I'm so worried about my stomach and muscle wasting with the Prednisone for my PMR.

I've only seen one author write about it, but that was in 1994. I don't see any more recent studies. 

Seems a lot of benefits from it from what she said, but...

I was was excited to read about Betaine for stomach healing, but it says corticoidsteroid users are at high risk, do NOT use. 

I refuse to take PPI's for I hear they make one worse when the acid rebounds. 

I'm so sad the Pred has messed up my stomach. My diet is restricted enough as is. I'm down to 6 mg, but still in pain, but refuse to go up. I'm not sure doctor's care if this messes up my stomach, I wonder if it will heal when all this is done!!!!! Or do they care?  I have some relief by drinking aloe Vera juice before I eat and lieing on my stomach, but do not know if that is ok to do. Ugh.

0 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had really bad heartburn on the prednisone, so I sent away for some enteric coated capsules to put it in before I take it. Haven't had heartburn since. I don't know if it would help everyone, but it helped me.
    • Posted

Unfortunatly we don't have the coated ones in US.  Atleast that is what local pharmacist said. 
    • Posted

when I asked my rheum for coated prednisone, she said it's expensive and to take a ppi. She also sent me for all kinds of heart tests because of the heartburn. The heart doc said it's heartburn take a ppi. But I have osteoporosis, and a ppi isn't good for that. that's why I got the coated capsules. I'm in the U.S., but I ordered them on-line.
    • Posted

Thanks Annie!  Geez, doctors should let us decide if it's too expensive! I'll check in to it.

maybe you can private message me where you order the coated ones?

• Posted

Ok, I'll see if I can find my order form. They are just coated capsules that I put the pills in.
    • Posted

Hi Layne, Rayos prednisone is available in the US but they may cost a lot, it is coated though.
    • Posted

great idea.....I never knew there was such a thing.

Where did you get them?

sent me a private e-mail since moderater will probably

delete any info.

• Posted

I don't know what the costs are in the US but in the UK there was the same dispute a few years ago when the enteric coated sort were more expensive - but that was relative, it's said it was a 17-fold difference. A directive was issued that instead of giving enteric coated pred to patients they were to be given the ordinary sort plus a PPI. No consideration that that introduced another set of side effects which can be quite unpleasant and a second lot of tablets to take which it is known reduces compliance.

The immediate reaction on the part of the drug manufacturers was to increase the price of ordinary pred tablets to bring them far closer to the cost of the eneteric coated version! 

The approximate actual figures in the UK are:

Plain pred 5mg x 30                   cost £1.33

PPI x 30                                      cost £1.83

Total                                           cost £3.16

Plus 2x dispensing fees

Enteric coated pred 5mg x30     cost £1.83

Plus 1x dispensing fee

Which when I was in school made the enteric coated sort clearly cheaper! The authorities will not listen!

• Posted

Oh I didn't know Rayos were the coated ones!!

My last Rheumy visit right before holiday wants me to change to Rayos just because I said I'm still in most pain all morning. She wants me to take those at night and said they were time released. Said they were expensive and said a special pharmacy would be calling me...I haven't heard from them yet.  Sounded a bit shady to me. 

Hmmmm, now I wonder.

Eileen aren't you on Rayos?  Should I call and press the issue?

• Posted

Rayos have a super new special coating on prednisone, I have actually got shares in the company who manufacture the coating, although they have not done brilliantly recently!! I have been taking Rayos for a while and they are great. I reckon the side effects are less but I may be imagining it.
    • Posted

I had a nice surprise this month when I found enteric coated 5mgs in my meds packet. I now have them in 5mg and 2.5. I wonder if they do 1mgs. I am in the UK by the way.
    • Posted

Penelope, unfortunately the coated pred in UK is only available in 2.5 and 5mg tablets. 
    • Posted

As ptolemy says - no enteric coated 1mg pills. The NE charity did enquire but it was claimed it wouldn't be cost-effective. They would cost the same as the 5mg tablets to produce. The vast majority of patients are only on pred short-term and can reduce to zero OK using 2.5mg and 5mg. Others are on 5mg or 10mg long term (i.e. pretty much for life). PMR does tend to be a special case (hence the lack of understanding that a slow and more accurate reduction helps. 

My "Dead slow and nearly stop" approach to reduction does work with 2.5mg at a time if you repeat the steps several times to spread it out over an even longer time.

• Posted

As ptolemy says, they have a special time-sensitive coating. You take them at 10pm within 3 hours of your evening meal or with a slice of bread and something (preferably cheese or cold cuts for the fat/protein content to slow absorption). This creates the right conditions in the gut for the coating to disintegrate all at once after 4 hours at 2am and so it is exactly the same as taking your plain white tablets at 2am except you don't have to wake up! A study showed that the optimum time to take pred to avoid morning stiffness in RA (and PMR by extrapolation) was 2am and that was why the coating was developed.

Because of the coating they are much more expensive than ordinary pred, 1mg, 2mg and 5mg tablets all cost the same and you have to combine them to get the right dose. I get them on prescription here in Italy because I couldn't tolerate Medrol which is the only other option but I would consider paying myself if I couldn't have them. The 4 hour delay must also mean they are past the stomach when they break down, purely on the time consideration.

I think the side effects are less for me too ptolemy - I have steadily been able to lose the Medrol weight, hair and skin are back to normal and beard gone! Other than that I couldn't say I have any side effects. I wake in the early moring with sweats - but whether that is the pred or the PMR I couldn't say, I had similar sweats with PMR and no pred.  The theory is that you can get away with a lower dose because of the more specific timing of the dose. I know people who woke at 2am to take ordinary pred and sailed through their reduction - could be coincidence of course.

I can honestly say I NEVER have morning pain and a 5mg dose lasts me all day. I was also OK on 4mg PMR-wise - but was much more tired and that got worse when heading for 3mg. Working on the GP to do an adrenal function test - but she hasn't come across the concept before so it is a slow job!

• Posted

Could you post the dead slow and nearly stop approach, please.  Thanks.
    • Posted

Could you post your dead slow and nearly stop approach again, please?

Thanks.

Jeannae

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.