Has anyone taken L-Glutamine with Prednisone?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I'm so worried about my stomach and muscle wasting with the Prednisone for my PMR.

I've only seen one author write about it, but that was in 1994. I don't see any more recent studies. 

Seems a lot of benefits from it from what she said, but...

I was was excited to read about Betaine for stomach healing, but it says corticoidsteroid users are at high risk, do NOT use. 

I refuse to take PPI's for I hear they make one worse when the acid rebounds. 

I'm so sad the Pred has messed up my stomach. My diet is restricted enough as is. I'm down to 6 mg, but still in pain, but refuse to go up. I'm not sure doctor's care if this messes up my stomach, I wonder if it will heal when all this is done!!!!! Or do they care?  I have some relief by drinking aloe Vera juice before I eat and lieing on my stomach, but do not know if that is ok to do. Ugh.

0 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Layne, it is down right dangerous not to care for the stomach during prednisone treatment. Fatal bleeding ulcers have resulted. I have had many stomach issues in the past: Hpylori infections and reflux from my stomach's strange position from scoliosis. My father died from stomach cancer. regarding ppi: to avoid acid rebound after treatment, tapering off those drugs avoids the problem. For example I took the pill every other day then less and less frequently. If your stomach is paining you now then visiting a gastro doc with steer you to quick relief. One can also take H2 blockers like Zantac, ranitidine.

last week I had an endoscopy and I have stomach inflammation from Naprosyn which I took before I knew I had PMR. I am not allowed to take an NSAIDs at the same time as prednisone.

• Posted

yes, I've been to Gastro doc, had endoscopy, all they said was I had mild acid reflux, silent reflux.  I have no pain, just esophagus flutter.  Also ENT doctor did scope and just said inflammation.  He said it was NOT prednisone, but I totally disagree!  Even water affects me.

I went through having no taste buds for months.  

Yes, been tested for Sjogrens, and all...

GI doctor offered no resolution. 

I've heard one can have too much acid or NOT enough! But doctors don't seem to want to find out. 

I tried PPI for 14 days, no change.

im sick of drugs!

• Posted

I was diagnosed with PMR in 2013. It was undiagnosed for 2 years. Over shadowed by hyperthyroidism. I had an endoscopy at that time too. I wasn't on Prednizone at the time. They reported inflammation, small hiatal hernia and acid reflux. I had taken myself to ER for indigestion and chest pain. I seriously thought I was having a heart attack. I had taken ibuprofen for 2 weeks before my ER visit, doctors orders.

I had another endoscopy this year and it showed a tiny bit of inflammation, no hiatal hernia or acid reflux. I have been taking Prednizone for 2 years.

I always wondered if the inflammation and pain I was having was the PMR. I rarely have heartburn anymore. Just a thought.

• Posted

A friend with at the time undiagnosed PMR was told to take ibuprofen by her GP - after 3 doses she was rushed to the ER because of a gastric bleed. No wonder you had problems after 2 weeks. Even doctors fall into the error of regarding ibuprofen and paracetamol as sweeties because you can buy them OTC. I take the occasional dose but wouldn't take more - I value my stomach and liver too much!
    • Posted

Well I too wonder if it's an odd PMR symptom...I do not have heartburn pain, when first put on PRED I had chest tightness all afternoon for about 3-4 months. I just assumed pred. Doctors didn't care.

I don't burp acid, I don't taste acid, I don't cough, it doesn't bother me at night, just 10-20 minutes after swallowing liquid or foods.  If I eat larger meal then yeah it waits longer before the odd gurgle in my throat/esophagus. 

If I drink wine then next day I can't taste it and have raw tongue. But sometimes the wine quiets the feeling, but one doctor said that was just that I didn't care, ha. 

Also lately crave sugar!!! So the L-glutamine stops that craving too, but I'll go ask pharmacist if I can take it. I think the sugar craving is my adrenals and maybe thyroid, I recently switched to Armour. 

• Posted

Maybe you can address this:  I checked on Amazon and you can

buy plant based empty capsules fairly cheap.  Would it be better

for all of us to put the pred inside one of those and swallow it.

It would at least get past esophagus before starting to dissolve.

I also take Fossamax (thanks to our old friend pred) and

wonder about putting that into empty capsule...

• Posted

I honestly have no idea - I suppose it is something that one could try if you have any gastric problems. Even when I was taking bog-standard plain white tablets I didn't have any problems - other than the foul taste of pred when you don't get it down in one! Like MrsO, yoghourt did the trick for me if there were any problems.

It is perhaps something to run by a pharmacist - some drugs are better absorbed in the stomach, though that may be due to the pH of the environment and I can only assume that if you are on a PPI the stomach contents won't be as acidic as normal so does that still apply? It isn't the oesophagus per se that is the problem with pred - it is the risk of gastric irritation and, eventually, gastric bleeding. Some experts think that even enteric coated versions won't avoid that - they believe it is the level in the blood that leads to the problem. But the jury is probably still out on that.

For Fosamax you would think that, given the problems there were with patients not taking it properly, that they would have put it into a gastric acid-resistant coating if it were not a problem. Or would that mess up their profits?

And do bear in mind that whatever the capsules are made of, for some people THAT may give rise to problems, especially if there is colouring in the material.

• Posted

Yes I do use these Gel capsules when I'm on a dose that needs uncoated preds. I am about to go down to 6mgs and will be using them for that. Works well and they are cheap. Put half a capsule in a dish of salt/sugar /flour to hold them steady, feed them with required preds and put the tops on. Do a month in advance and put them in a labelled pot.
    • Posted

Forgive my ignorance... How exactly does putting the Pred in a gel cap help with acid reflux? Just slowing down the dissolving?

I've always taken it with 3 egg whites and often include avacados, spinach and bell peppers (though I've recently stopped the bells and night shades to see if those give me issue), lately adding lots of mushrooms.  No never an empty stomach. 

• Posted

The gel caps mentioned originally are acid-resistant - that means they pass through the stomach and are absorbed further down the gut. That means they don't irritate the stomach lining and encourage acid-production. Less acid production means less problems with reflux. 

However - you can still have reflux even with a PPI where the acid production is prevented. And yes, one thing to try to help is eating half your meal, then taking the pred and then finishing the meal. 

• Posted

Thank you Eileen.  I think you or someone said this but as I was trying to find it I gave up, hee, Hee.  I did get my reyos already yesterday! So I took that, but wondered if I have to go back to Pred I should consider the gels then.  Wow, wish I knew of this a year ago. Hope tummy heals now.
    • Posted

Glad your Rayos have arrived, they are prednisone with a special, super, dooper coating. Why do you need to go back to your old pred? 
    • Posted

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to stay with Rayos! I think they are great!
    • Posted

Well...when I taper, so I guess y'all are saying one can split the Rayos? 

I assumed that would break coating... Or perhaps it's not just a coating but the entire makeup of the pill that slows it down? 

• Posted

No you cannot break the Rayos as that would destroy its efficacy. You can get 1mg tablets though.
    • Posted

No - not to be cut/split. They come in 1mg, 2mg and 5mg versions to allow for tapering.
    • Posted

Yes, they just takes the preds a bit lower in the gut before they dissolves.
    • Posted

I talked to my pharmacist about putting my prednisone into gel caps.  He thought the pred would still disolve in the stomach but that it would be "further down" and could probably decrease my acid issue.  He gave me some gel caps to try and said I should see a difference within a few days.

I asked him if there were enteric coated gel caps available and he said he didn't know.

I asked him if I could find enteric coated gel caps and if I put my pred in them, would it effect my pred's effectivenss if it couldn't dissolve in my stomach.  He didn't know.

I know that Rayos is being discussed as a solution, but it is not available to me here in British Columbia Canada.....which means it's probably not available in this country.  Very odd, as it's been in the USA for awhile.

• Posted

Mrs C J, Rayos may be called Lodotra in Canada.
    • Posted

I asked two different pharmacists (at different drug stores) about this and they both said there is no enteric coated prednisone or prednisolone available here.  There are quite a few Canadians on this forum so maybe they will know if it's available in other provinces. 

Thank you for the reminder that it is known under other names. I think Medrol is another coated one in Europe. 

• Posted

They may not consider Lodotra enteric coated as it is a special coating. If you are able perhaps you could ask them.
    • Posted

Lodotra/Rayos isn't enteric coated, it is described as a modified release formulation. The most likely reason for it not being available generally is that it is very much more expensive - if 30 x 5mg ordinary pred costs £1.30, 30 x 5mg Lodotra costs about £25 and if you need (say) 30 x 8mg, you need 30 x 1mg, 30 x 2mg and 30 x 5mg tablets, a total of £75 per month instead of less than £5.

Medrol in Europe (or anywhere else) isn't a coated version - it is plain white tablets of a different corticosteroid, methyl prednisolone, prednisolone with a methyl group added to the structure. 

A study in Crohns disease showed there may be improved management of the intestinal inflammation using enteric coated pred - which is more likely to be absorbed in the region affected, rather than in the stomach. If enteric coated pred is absorbed somewhere in the gut, so too will pred from inside acid-resistant capsules. The peak blood level may be lower or peak more slowly (i.e. be spread over a much longer time) but you adjust the dose to get the level of effect you need in PMR anyway. If your doctor lets you at least.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.