Has anyone tried Constella (linaclotide)

Posted , 19 users are following.

This is a new drug to treat IBS constipation-predominant. It was due to be launched in the UK on 1 May 2013. Does anyone know if it is available yet?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I got this medication from my doctor 2 weeks ago and have been taking it as instructed for 10 days. I'm not sure how long it takes to start working but as yet no relief or side effects yet.
  • Posted

Would be interested to know how you get on. I live in Spain most of the time and it is not available here yet. I was wondering if i can get it when i come back to UK for a short visit. Is it easy to get from the doctor, or is it not being prescribed readily? I assume it is not available from the pharmacy.
  • Posted

I just tried it for 5 days and it gave me very bad diarrhea within an hour of taking it with no easing of

symptoms.

• Posted

Thanks for that Amanda, not sure what I should do then. Not enough people seem to have tried it to get to make an informed decision.
  • Posted

I will say that everything I have ever tried has done the same . I tried Zelnorm years ago and the results were the

same. I am thinking of going back to the homeopathic Dr. Medications don't seem to work for me. Also , my

regular Dr. told me I would see results in 2-3 days if it was going to work so who ever has taken it for 10 with no

results should take note.

• Posted

Try Total Candida Defence, working for me after one week! Also an IBS sufferer. I have also cut out Gluten from my diet which has also helped. Bread seemed to be the worst culprit for bloating!
  • Posted

Thanks for that. Where do you get Total Candida Defence, is it chemist or health food shop? Have tried other things for Candida before as like you bread i think is a problem. I think its the yeast though rather than the gluten as gluten blood test came back negative.
  • Posted

Hi Margaret,

I got prescribed this in January. Tbh it's very sporadic with me; 1 tablet sometimes unblocks me, sometimes it does nothing, sometimes it gives me horrendous diahorrea. I wud do it at a weekend if you don't have a busy one, to allow yourself to be housebound. If you take 2 and constipation is bad it works wonders but will also make u housebound for a day. Xx

• Posted

Have just started on Constella from being on Prucalopride (Reslor) before, Over the past year or so I had put on 1 1/2 stone adn could not shif it no matter what and was suffering extreme fatigue to the point of exhaustion.  My GP found nothing wrong (and was not much help either).  After a lot of searching on the internet I came across a forum where women had experiences similar to mine and were on Prucalopride.  I have now stopped this and am taking Constella (another internet search and not a GP suggestion!!).  I suffer from terrible constipation due to IBS, have completely changed my diet but cannot cope without something to help my bowels move.  Can anyone tell me their experiences with Constella?  I am so scared of gaining more weight and need to get rid of this fatigue (hopefully this will stop soon once the prucalopride effects are out of my system).  Desperately needing help as cannot go on with wieght gain and fatigue.  Would like views on how well Constella works and any side effects.
    • Posted

Hi there

exactly i have a same problem  .I have a gull stone ,IBS abdominal pain after eating approximately 55 min  empty my bowel every 3-4 days  Dr described me Reslor  worked wonderfully for the first 2 weeks after nothing now they described  Constella  I put on nearly 2 stone in the last 2 years how is going now ?Are you still taking any medications for IBS and constipation ?

Thanks  

• Posted

I have been on Constella for three months now and it definitively works.Yes , the 3-4 hours after taking a dose is a bit annoying (gurgling & the loo) but compare of my chronic constipation, cramps & bloathing, I find it's a little price to pay from the burden of pain I used to suffer.

I am still in the trial and error mode as when to take Constella. I tried to avoid to get houseriden by trying taking it just before bed so I could go to the loo early in the am but no such luck there since it woke me up in the middle of the night with the dreaded few hours of running to the loo...oh well back to the am regime.

Overall, Constella does it's job and enjoying life once again...Thanks Constella!!

• Posted

I've been taking constella for about 8 months and I find that as long as I leave 1 -2 hours between taking it and eating it works well, any sooner than that and I'm on the loo for a while!!

• Posted

I have tried, and taken , Constella for over a year. It has worked very well for me. Less straining, and more frequent BM'S. One great thing about this drug is that it comes in 2 different doses, so if the lower dose dosen't work, you can have your dose bumped up. On the flip side, this drug can work so well, you may need to move to the lower dose once you're more regular. This drug is a life saver!

The downside is that it is very expensive (at least here in Canada), and some plans don't cover it.

• Posted

Potsypie: I have just been started on Constella 290mcg OD.   My problem is related to a spinal cord injury and damage to the major nerve coming out of T10. I also live in Canada.  Yes the stuff is more expensive then gold.  But if it works.  

Now for the questions:  how long did you take it before you noticed any effects?  2) did you find that it works better on an empty stomach?  3) the literature says 30 minutes before a meal is there anything else I should know?

thank you in advance for any feedback.

• Posted

Hi there 

I just start taking Constella 290 micrograms before i take Resolor worked beautifully in the first 2 weeks after nothing ,I have IBS, Gull stone and abdominal pain after eating I put on nearly 2 stone in the last 2 years ,I need some advise and information about this tablet also if anybody  have IBS (going to the toilet every 3-4 days please share with me 

Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.