Has citalipram worked immediately for anyone?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi... I've been taking citalopram for the last 2 nights, I've had a few symtoms so far I.e clenched jaw, high tend anxiety, yawning. But for the first time in weeks yesterday I got in my car and drove, only locally but it was a step forward. I also walked out alone which has been hard due to anxiety in the past few weeks. I also walked into a shop to buy some bread constantly reminding my self not to pre empt situations to keep my Anxiety under control. I thought it can't be the citalopram as it's only been 2 days but I'm just curious if anyone else has had any similar experiences when first starting this drug. I've obviously still got a long way to go but I've felt slight changes the past couple of days. Is this just coincidental? Leanne x

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

Well done sounds like your making good steps forward :-)  I found it helped a bit to start with (whether placebo or the drug itself, or both) but it does get even better so keep with it.

I also take mine before i goto sleep to help sleep off side effects (used to get weird dreams). Any side effects will reduce overtime. I dont get any side effects really now (maybe ever so slight but dont really notice) on 20mg for 3 years odd (trying to drop to 10 now)

In shops used to always analyse everything, these days I just get on with my business now

• Posted

Thanks for replying dean... what I'm finding mostly hard is the up and down emotions, keep feeling really low and angst. I'm hopeful this medication does work for me. As I had fluoxotine last week and that was a terrible experience. I'm glad your doing well, it gives me hopeither. Can I ask what you took the medication for? X

• Posted

I too felt almost immediately that the Citalopram was helping if only a bit. Not sure if it was placebo effect or what. Although it did take several weeks to take full effect to where I actually began feeling like my old self again.
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply Ellen. How long have you been taking it if you don't mind me asking and what mg? I've been told 10mg isn't likely going to help much it will probably be put up in next couple weeks by my docs. X

• Posted

I don't know what kind of gp.told you ten milligrams isnt enough...I been on 10milligrams for 14 months..and I feel like my self again...20 was too much ..everyone is different ...just because u up doesn't mean your going to get better sooner..this is a very slow process..it took me six months to feel a difference..8 months to finally say I feel good...and I'm still recovering..take care

• Posted

I have been taking Citalopram for about 7 months now. Started out on 10mg. for a month then slowly increased to 15mg. Have been on 15mg. for close to 3 months now. Just started another increase yesterday as I was started to feel as though the 15mg. was no longer enough so am taking 17.5mg. at present. My doctor believes in making adjustments slowly and in small increments to minimize side effects and give me time to see how I respond to each dosage.
  • Posted

Got a history of anxiety/depression. Originally older meds for PTSD following a car crash (head injuries, brain hemorage etc.) In 1994. Have always overworried big time from school this just made it all worse/crazy. Came off them myself and 'manned up' in about 2001 and regular binge drinked thereafter. Stopped drinking around 2011 odd and seen doc (partner also said to get out of denial) and tried Cit which these days was just to stop being down, moody, anxious so no recent diagnosis as such. Feel better than ever with these.

• Posted

Sounds like youve had one hell of a ride dean... glad your doing bettwr now. Thankyou all for your replys... trying to stay positive today. Feeling mentally exausted and really low. Had a positive day but my mind and emotions have been on overdrive. These early days are the hardest I think because you feel a million miles away from normality. X
  • Posted

I know what you mean 

I felt better when I had the script in my hand!

It was the relief that I had sorted again altho I knew the journey would be tough

I had been on them 3 yrs ago

However I then became a lot worse over the first few weeks as that's how it works. 

keep going, this is expected

Great that your feeling a bit better already

Keep at it 

• Posted

I'm on day 8 now and although the side effects are not as bad as the first few days I'm feeling anxious and sick alot. I have moments of feeling invincible but then go back to feeling low and anxious. It's a roller coaster ride but I keep telling myself I've got past the worst bit so to stick it out. I worry about my kids seeing me like this but luckily they have been away these first 2 weeks of me thing the Meds. Hoping the Meds stabilise sooner rather than later x

• Posted

they will stabilise and the effects be consistent, keep at it and good luck smile

• Posted

Definitely can work straight away, there is actually scientific research that backs this up too. it generally takes a few weeks to work but I've been on and off it for years and I know it works immediately for me and isn't the placebo effect. I notice little things like I'll sing in the shower or be more willing to go out and do things.

• Posted

I found initially it seemed to be working (say for 1st 2 weeks) then it seemed like it wasn't and it was only after about 8-10 weeks I thought this is working pretty much all the time.

• Edited

Hello Leanne, I have just started taking citalopram for the second time. I'm on day 4 only at 10mg. My anxiety had been getting worse over the last 6 months so I caved in and decided to give it another try. On day two I did notice a lift in my mood as i laughed at something more than normal and reduced anxiety levels were almost after 12 hours of taking the first pill,. so its possible to feel something fairly soon but 4-6 weeks is the time frame for them to work properly. some even say 3 months. silly thing maybe to mention but i associated a positive emotion of toast smelling really nice that normally i wouldn't notice. its a form of pleasure to smell nice things i guess and to acknowledge in the brain its a pleasant smell. making me feel good about the toast, instead of feeling nothing like normal.... interesting to see what happens going forward from here as first time i started citalopram it was very nasty to me for weeks.

good luck 😃

• Posted

Hi leanne, it seemed to make me feel better after a day or so but ive since put that down to placibo effect. im on day 8 now and im not feeling good at all and im gonna stop now..before get in to deep. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.