Has hormones made you look sick?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I was just curious if anyone else has looked like they have aged about 20 years since being in the depths of perimenopause or menopause? I looked at myself from 4 years ago and look at myself now, im only going on 42 years old and i look like im 65!! my eyes are sunken in, my hair looks dry and brittle, my skin is like crepe paper, i just look and feel awful!! I dont understand how other women just sail through this garbage still looking their age, healthy and full of life. I look like an anorexia on her death bed....this is awful

6 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Brandy, I just wanted to comment and say yes I can relate. I was working 2 part-time jobs until August and now I'm not working at all. Anxiety, depression, loss of appetite some days, weight loss (look like the crypt keeper), crying spells out of the blue, fatigue so bad at times, etc. etc. I was offered antidepressants and Ativan but honestly just want to feel somewhat normal again. Oh and I even don't like driving anymore, well at least not more than 30 or so miles, which was not a problem until August.

• Posted

I forgot to say I did have some health issues in 2014, lost weight, anxious, among other things but eventually felt better. I even had hormones checked in 2015 or 2016 by my then gynecologist and she said everything was good except elevated prolactin. I don't know what all she checked though. I would have been 41-42 years old at the time, makes me wonder if it was my body's way of saying this would be happening a couple of years later.

• Posted

At least im not alone!! It makes me feel like im crazy cause i have done a 180 of who i used to be. I used to love going places or going to the store just to get out of the house....now 5 mins in my car i become nauseous and nervous, and then i go right back home. I just want yo be normal again and the antidepressants make me feel worse so i have no options but to suffer, iys been at least 5 years now ive been this way

• Posted

I don't know why that happens but I have read that it sometimes makes you nervous to, driving that is..I couldn't even go to a family day event my adult son was having today, 2 hours away and my husband is not home. It makes me uncomfortable to drive that far away. I feel a loser and want to feel like my old self again.

• Posted

Hey Tracey, you’re not a loser Tracey don’t berrate yourself, to be honest, I would’ve done the same thing. I don’t even like driving 15 to 20 minutes to go to dinner somewhere. Don’t beat yourself up, as this time in our lives is very difficult. Sending you hugs:)

• Posted

Thank you Lisa, I appreciate your comments. I feel like I am driving people around me nuts by the way I feel sometimes. Not to mention asking everyone (women that is), if they ever felt like this or if they are around my age feel like this during this time of our lives. Needless to say I feel many if not most look at me like I have 3 heads. I have 2 maybe 3 women that did have some increased anxiety/depression, feeling like your crazy at times, during perimenopause but everyone else is either normal or at the very least a wonderful actress.

• Posted

I know there is supposedly a certain percentage out there that don’t experience anything, SUPPOSEDLY, but I’m gonna call baloney on that. I don’t believe it ...I’ll never believe it ....and I’ll say that till the end. There’s no way that your body can be depleted of That many hormones and hormones bouncing all over and all these changes happening to our body and they’re not gonna feel anything. I think there’s some statistic out there that 20% of women glide through .... no way ! I said it before and I’ll say it again. I have a portion of friends who are on antidepressants.... they are the ones that supposedly don’t feel the changes, and I have a sister that is addicted to tramadol and she said her period stopped and she never felt anything. So take what you will from that. If I see an old friend occasionally at the grocery store ...I will always bring it up intentionally, and they look at me like... did she actually say Menopause ...and they get this ghostly look in their eye and change the subject, I mean you would think it was 1950, it’s not taboo, it’s a natural part of life for middle aged women. The women out they’re being dishonest ...they’re only hurting thenselves & future generations of women going through this. sending you good vibes 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.