Has your gallbladder been removed? Is the result good? Y or N?

Posted , 29 users are following.

What a fantastic forum this is with people sharing very useful information that can improve quality of life.

Whilist there are good and bad stories of what happens after gall bladder removal. I think it would be beneficial if we had a count of success stories versus not so good experiences.

So, I you have had your gall bladder removed, then please post and let us all know if you are glad that you went through with it or not.

4 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had mine removed keyhole 2 years ago and I have never felt better. The post op pain was minimal.

Since then I do find now and again if i eat too much fat I have to run to the loo as it all wants to leave as quick as possible but all of the pain bloating and indigestion has gone and I feel amazing.

L

• Posted

Any suggestions to help with my bloating Iam 3 wks post op and eating very little and low fat. I starting with the bloating and gas 5 mo ago and haven’t been able to get rid of it.
  • Posted

I weighed the same for probably 15 or more years 138 140 and at 42 in 2013 had my gallbladder removed The Worst thing to happen to me I gained twenty pounds in 2 months and 10 pounds every year since started having fluid retention everywhere swelling in stomach and side of insides of my feet aching joints headaches indigestion acid reflux constipation sweating

I been 9 doctors who can't tell me why my feet swell every other week why I keep gaining weight and have swollen abdomen and I'm miserable every time eat something no matter what it is

• Posted

I have my gall stone 5 yrs. The ultrasound showed that I have shadow area 2.9 cm. I am wondering what that is. I saw many stories here. Someone even took CT ,found nothing. I am scare. Should I take out my gallbladder? 
    • Posted

Hi you should go back to see your consultant and discuss that shadow further for sure and have more tests more ultrasound MRI and ct scans to try and work out what the shadow is , then when they discover what it is you should seriously consider their advice .
  • Posted

I have gallbladder for 5 yrs. for ultrasound, I have 2.9cm shadow area. What is shadow? Can anyone tell me. Do I have to take out the gall stone. Thanks
    • Posted

Oh also I had a dark shadow in the neck of my gallbladder and it turned out to be a 2.3cm stone stuck in the neck, I too was very very scared of the surgery and let things go for 3 years very bad move,

i ended up in pain on another level for a long time with all sorts of problems when I had it out 4 weeks ago I had no choice the surgeon told me I had hours to days to live after a ct scan the day before.

and after he told me it was completely infected and full of puss , and gangrene and if I didn't go get the ct scan the day before ide likely be dead right now.

these things are not a joke , please get tests done and deal with it I'm lucky to be alive.

the worst thing it's done to me is made me pretty mentally ill with living with the fear of it killing me ,like it near did.its like walking around with a psycho behind you with a loaded gun pointed at the back of yr head and you know he's going to kill you at some point ,but you just don't know when !!

thats how I've lived for the past 3 years and it's messed my mind up .

please try to make the right decision for you.

now I'm at home trying to recover, which hopefully I will , and if I do then I have to fix my mind .

ive now learnt the hard way rhese things cannot be left and sometimes we have to be brave , which is hard if your a coward like I have been for 3 years .

i know something though , the way I have lived the last 3 years I would have been better off dead, it's been a sad 3 years.

dont leave it to long would be my advise .

all the best to you.

• Posted

I am so glad and grateful that you wrote so many valuable experience of you to me.  Thanks to have such stage to share experience with everybody.

My Appt. Will be next month. I am getting brave and going to do it because my gallbladder problem is similar as you , has a dark shadow at the neck of it, shadow area is 2.9 cm now.  I know it will cause other problems after remove it. Such as: it will boost the chance of colon cancer( I read some articles); it will cause indigestion and so on. So we need to avoid the red meat to reduce the colon cancer and a flexible sigmoidoscopy every 5 yrs. exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy weight . I know you will be recovered and get better and better.  

Thank you so much for your sharing!!!!!

• Posted

Sandy.

bless you.

im hopping that most of my problems now are in my head as I do worry much more so than the average as a result of my 3 year journey to honest.

i mean my original diagnosis was the stones and the dark shadow in the neck that no one could seemingly tell me what it was ,and as a worry wart I immediately thought the worst ,and asked the consultant outright ,are you insinuating this could be a tumer ,to which she replied ,well could be who knows I cannot predict the future !!

and fron that day on I have been and convinced myself it was cancer, 

'so you can imagine what 3 years of that has done to my mind .

but because I couldn't get a solid diagnosis I refused to have it out as I was getting different diagnosis from one month to the next.

and I now wish to god I just said then and their .get it out of me now lol.

but that's my mind and I was so scared,

ive been a coward and it near cost me my life !!

i think I'm doing ok quote think.

their goes my lovely negative mind again.

my incisions have all healed lovely I mean healed,with no infections.

i still have slight pains under right rib area on and off and the odd sharp shooting pains around that area ,that are a bit freaky,to me anyway !

some mild to moderate upper back aches ,seems every time I try to do any kind of manual work within ten or so minutes,this goes within ten minutes of laying down.

ive not had indigestion at all.

i am nauseous quite bad on and off but much better last 3 days.

mild punched in the tummy feeling seems to have calmed also in the last 2 days.

had no loose movement at all.

but still having on and off very pale stools .

but my stools have been pale very for the last 3 years so maybe more time needed.

but I have lots of energy feel pretty good otherwise apart from my mind of course.

but I have just had an infected full of  puss gangrenous gallbladder with dense adhesions that were cut down removed before we even mention the 2.3 cm stone ,not dark shadow but stone that's been stuck in cystic duct / neck the whole time and a 2.2cm one inside the diseased gallbladder removed.

And it was only 30 days ago !

so extremely lucky to be alive I think and think I'm doing ok.

just not mentally !

sandy.

what symptoms have you had over the last 5 years ?

• Posted

Hi: 

Thank you for the reply.   I do not have too much symptoms for the last 5 years.  Just feel painful sometime. I think I am going to see Doctor again to find out what the shadow is.  I think you are pretty good now. Just keep going doing exercise and having a healthy diet. You will have a bright future.  God bless you and all of us!!

bye and good luck!!

• Posted

Thanks sandy.

and you too, but please do get to the bottom of that shadow please !!

just do not leave it !!

• Posted

Good stuff here to read I have gallbladder sludge and it’s recommended I have my gallbladder removed as it could get worse
  • Posted

I had mine removed 2 years ago and in effect it has made my life much worse than ever before. 

Before I had my gallbladder removed I just got pain maybe once a week.  Now I swell up every single night, cannot eat half of what I did before, am in agony every night and take a shed load of tablets a day just to function. 

It has changed my entire life for the worse and even the Dr's have no idea what is wrong with me or how to treat me.  In fact so much so they have just discharged me from the hospital basically saying we don't know what is wrong with you so take all these pills and go suffer.  All one Consultant said after me paying private to see him what that it was never my gallbladder in the first place and that in effect by taking it out the hospital has actually made my health ten times worse.

Now I just suffer everyday and look like a Michelin woman by night.  Even close friends comment that after a few hours in the evening if I am out with them I look like I have had a middle tyre pumped up and I have to go off and curl up in a corner to suffer the pain. 

No-one seems to care or be able to help and I am 44 and feel 90 at night.  Life should be about living and now I feel like my whole life is being controlled by this and I have lost all control.

• Posted

Stephie2

bless you,

'can we talk ?

i care about you and would like to know what tests you've had done and what mess they have you on ect

and try help figure this out ,

thir has to be answer to what it is , and why did they say yr gallbladder had to come out originally.

it really has to be either yr liver or pancreas or bikers tree then.

please get back to me let's talk.

thanks.

• Posted

I can relate a bit to this. I am worse off after removal. Op went fine and recovery too.  Then the dreaded nausea or diarrhoea with ache in right ribs.  Comes and goes. Dr says can do lots of tests but not to go there unless really necessary.  It has depressed me now as i want to do things but cant always go out.  I am restricting to very light diet to see if it helps.  I do like chocolate and am trying not to eat it when i feel ok, cant face it when im bad.
    • Posted

Sorry for the delay, I have been on holiday.  I have had just about every test known to man. 

I was listed for gallbladder removal after having an ultrasound and it showing a few gallstones.  Apparently according to a different Consultant 2 years on the majority of us will have gallstones and he thinks that there should have been more tests done before they just whipped it out!  I personally think all of this now stems from my 5cm hiatus hernia.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.