Have been on DLA for 6 years and now have to change to PIP!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I had a home assessment on the 8th Jan with a lady from ASOS. I have been on DLA for six years now and at 67 this August find it rediculous that I have to go through all this again? I sent in all my documents from consultants and doctors also private letters from each to say I cannot walk any more than 20 yards cannot do domestic chores, bathe or dress without help etc but they still want to put you through the mill. I have both rhuematoid and oesteoarthritis in my hips, I have rotator cuff in both shoulders, carpal tunnel in both hands, fibromyalgia, high blood pressure BPPV (Vertigo). I also had a heart attack last May and 3 stents fitted and an attack of Gallstones which I am waiting to have removed. When the lady came she was very nice but kept asking the same questions, obviously trying to trip you up? She asked me to do various things like touch each finger, hands above head etc, which I cannot do as I am in pain constantly 24/7. It is demeaning enough having to have your husband shower you and dress you as well as cook, clean and shop for you without having to perform like a circus seal. It is as though they disregard all the hard work your doctor or consultant has done for you and their diagnosis of your illnesses. I think it wrong and now have the added worry that I might be refused my benefit, with without we just could not live. Without a mobility car i would be housebound as I cannot use public transport !! How long after a home assessment will it take until I hear any results, does anyone know?? All very worrying and not doing anything for my sleep which is bad anyway.

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Christine,I got mine through about 10days later......like your self i was on DLA for yrs  but my health went down hill.......so my carer phoned for me to get mobilty

and was told we would need to go through PIP,after filling out the forms we asked for a home visit........everything went well but could not walk or do her hand and leg movements without being in great pain.....she was so nice....about 10days later i got my brown envelope still on high pip but was awarded low mobility......after telling doctor/consultant and pain specailist they told me to appeal and they gave me back up letters.......so again i waited and my 2nd assessment  never changed.......i know people that  appealled and  lost what they had so be very careful if your goin to appeal,i think who are those people??? that judge us because half an hour and they know how we cope from day to day x 

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. But it just goes to show what happens with PIP assessments.I'm 67 and had High Mobility/Middle Care. I lost the chance of PIP as the DWP messed up my case.

In a way I'm thankful as the thought of re-assessments every couple of years until I die terrified me.

• Posted

Like yourself I was asked to do the excercises but refused the leg ones and lifting my hands over my head, can't anyway because of the rotator cuff in both shoulders. Managed to do finger movements on one hand well and not so well on the other.......why finger movements ?? Did not walk and hubby helped me up from my chair, my vertigo was especially bad that day so had to steady myself for a few minutes until I stopped being dizzy so did not attempt to walk. Anyway we shall wait and see the outcome, nothing more to do really. If it is negative then I shall certainly appeal but will get an adviser from our Housing Association who deals with appeals all the time.
    • Posted

That's the unfortunate bit about owning your own home - there is little or no welfare advice about. And they take the damn home off you should you need to go into care.
    • Posted

Well we cant have it every way Les, we lost our home 10 years ago because of unfortunate circumstances. Heartbreaking when you have worked all your life but we carry on regardless. There is information out there and Citizens Advice will put you in the right direction.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that.

You must have been verty fortunate to get a Housing Association/Council property.

Round my way there is one choice - private letting - with the vast number being owned by what has been described on the TV  'Britains Worst Landlord'.

CAB is useless, they don't have any 'professional' advisors any more - not since they were all sacked due to the restrictions imposed on the Legal Aid system. 'We can't have the government funding professional advisors so that people are able to obtain benefits'

• Posted

Sorry Les but you seem to 'question' everything I put on here!! We were homeless, say no more, terrible time and dont want to go through it all again on here. Signing out for the last time.
    • Posted

Christine please don't leave over this.   We all need to help and support each other so stay please.   x
    • Posted

Thank you for your concern hypercat maybe I was hasty but life has not been easy over the last 10 years and I just felt I was being questioned over my health and life. Sore point, we strive to make the best out of bad situations!! Thanks again x
    • Posted

Please can we start helping other people and stop arguing.

Thank you

Sarah

• Posted

I'm sorry if I have offended anybody. I ask questions to identify how others do things that I don't do and try to find what the results are. If someone has a better idea or does something different and it produces results - that is of interest to me.

As for not being able to access decent welfare advice simply because I own my own home, compared to getting that advice if you live in social housing is one of my gripes.

I will and always have given advice where I can. 

• Posted

Les I have always found your advice helpful, I am waiting to hear about my pip application in the meantime I am due my DLA this week which I pray I will still get.

Try not to be so downhearted you have given good advice sadly some people don't always get the answers they want so they get frustrated and angry and you probably bare the brunt of it, so hang in there mate Maria

• Posted

Please understand I am neither angry or frustrasted.

Simply fed up of people on this site criticising what others are saying.

Can we not just help and support each other?

Hoping you continue to get your DLA as I am mine.

Sarah 

• Posted

Can we all stop this please and just carry on with what's important- like supporting each other.   Sometimes on a site like this there are personality clashes but it's give and take isn't it?

I have the same with someone on another site so I ignore them.  We are all adults at the day.       Bev x

• Posted

* at the end of the day

• Posted

Bev I couldn't agree with you more I tried to sell a few bits on Facebook so I could treat my grandchildren and all I got of two people were calling me names and saying I was a liar and the items I sell were fake!!! In the end I just came away from the site there's no need for people to be nasty sadly it's a sign of the times sad!!!

Your right we're here to support each other Maria x

• Posted

Oh dear Maria that's awful.   I am on a few fb sites but have never had this.   I would leave too (or can't you block them?).   There are many people with hate in their hearts out there who would hesitate to say anything to your face but wouldn't think twice to be abusive annonymously.   Bevx
    • Posted

Les I filled out my pip form with my housing association benefit and debt helper it took us 2 hrs to fill out the form that was before Christmas and I still haven't had a reply I can't deny I'm on edge everyday wondering if I'm going to lose the dwp (sorry pip) as well as my esa this goverment need to stop throwing tax payers money at Syria and all the other so called needy country's who are corrupt!

It's time this goverment looked after us! Not throwing money at other country's who are corrupt! Especially giving out child benefit to people who's children don't even live in this country!! It's disgusting I have sent the e-mail link to my mp who is conservative! I don't expect any help from him but by god I'm going to fight for my rights! I was a nurse for 25+yrs and I've seen people who suffer everyday in terrible pain I've also met people who will go to any lengths to get money from this goverment and believe me they are good actors!

So I for one will not accept anyone who has no idea what I have to go through everyday just to get the pittance this goverment give us!

• Posted

One of the apparent fortunate things that you have when you rent is access to a qualified welfare rights officer. Unfortunately as we own our home with a mortgage, no such similar help exists.

Britain has to lead the world in world aid. If not and left to what other countries give, I wonder what would happen. 

United States – $31.55 billion

United Kingdom – $17.88 billion

Germany – $14.06 billion

Japan – $11.79 billion

France – $11.38 billion

Sweden – $5.83 billion

Norway – $5.58 billion

Netherlands – $5.44 billion

Canada – $4.91 billion

Australia – $4.85 billion

Italy – $3.25 billion

Switzerland – $3.20 billion

Denmark – $2.93 billion

Belgium – $2.28 billion

Spain – $2.20 billion

I've served this country for 44 years - in the Armed Forces and the Civil Service.

I became disabled, in part, by standing up for what is right and not cowering like the rest by putting myself in harms way protecting someone else's money.

Now that I am too far gone with other problems healthwise and previously receiving DLA High Mobility/Middle Care, I just couldn't face what PIP required of me to make the transfer over.

There was no outside professional help for me so I had to suffer the permanent loss of the disability benefits.

As you say and if money was put back into the legal aid system to pay for help and advice, things would have been different. But, and I do see the point, is it right that the workers in this country should pay their taxes to fund legal assistance so that others can get more benefits?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.