Have been on DLA for 6 years and now have to change to PIP!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I had a home assessment on the 8th Jan with a lady from ASOS. I have been on DLA for six years now and at 67 this August find it rediculous that I have to go through all this again? I sent in all my documents from consultants and doctors also private letters from each to say I cannot walk any more than 20 yards cannot do domestic chores, bathe or dress without help etc but they still want to put you through the mill. I have both rhuematoid and oesteoarthritis in my hips, I have rotator cuff in both shoulders, carpal tunnel in both hands, fibromyalgia, high blood pressure BPPV (Vertigo). I also had a heart attack last May and 3 stents fitted and an attack of Gallstones which I am waiting to have removed. When the lady came she was very nice but kept asking the same questions, obviously trying to trip you up? She asked me to do various things like touch each finger, hands above head etc, which I cannot do as I am in pain constantly 24/7. It is demeaning enough having to have your husband shower you and dress you as well as cook, clean and shop for you without having to perform like a circus seal. It is as though they disregard all the hard work your doctor or consultant has done for you and their diagnosis of your illnesses. I think it wrong and now have the added worry that I might be refused my benefit, with without we just could not live. Without a mobility car i would be housebound as I cannot use public transport !! How long after a home assessment will it take until I hear any results, does anyone know?? All very worrying and not doing anything for my sleep which is bad anyway.

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all,

I'm not getting involved in any dispute or misunderstanding here but just a message to say if anyone thinks inappropriate posts are being made please use the "Report" link to draw it to my attention rather than reply and get into arguments or feel you need to stop posting. Sometimes innocent comments in forums can be misconstrued but do not need to result in disputes. If there are inappropriate comments I can discuss with users via Private Mesaage if required.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Can I just say finally, there was no dispute or arguement I just said I did not like being ''questioned'' as to why I got letters from my doctor, why because I live in a housing Ass home I am entitled to more info ??? Rubbish !! the info is out there if you look. We are on here to discuss way's and means of helping one another to get through the hell that living with disability can bring, not dissect the reasons why we are there. Were we live, do we own our own home or relationships with our GP. I find this all very trite and none helpful, so for the last time I shall say thank you to those who are genuinly helpful, keep up the good work but I definitely wont be participating in further discusions as I find I have enough stress in my life without adding to it. Keep to the point of the discussion and dont wander off the point, that is were the problems start. Wishing you all good health and the very best for the future. C.
  • Posted

Hello peeps, well I am back to impart the news that I had a letter yesterday from DWP finally tell me that I am entitled to the high rate mobility I am already on and for the enhanced rate living allowance, also I can claim carers allowance.....or my husband can. This has taken a lot of worry and stress off my shoulders and for that I am grateful. My question to anyone out there who knows is when I first spoke to some one at the beginning of October she told me that my award would be from the date ''they'' received my application and that I would have anything after that date backdated. She knew I was on DLA middle rate and said the difference would be calculated. Now I have been told that my DLA will finish on the 1st of March and that the PIP will start from the 2nd March ( very convenient) The letter also states that according to PIP Regulations my award cannot be backdated to an earlier date and PIP will start from 4 weeks after their decision was made. Now dont think I am ungrateful, I am over the moon but my neighbour who was  on low rate DLA but with failing health went onto the PIP and was awarded the enhanced rate after battling for 2 years was backpaid? She thinks they may again be changing the goalposts to save money. Does anyone know if I should quierey this decision or is it correct? Hope everyone is as well as we can all expect on here, I know I said I would not come back on but I did also say I would let you all know how I got on. I must say I have not really had to wait to long since October 6th last year for my decision so I cannot complain, just very releived I have my award and wont have to see then again for another 5 years,.....Cheers, Chrissie x
  • Posted

Is pip different to esa
    • Posted

Yes it is Hun . When I first went onto ESA it was taking place of incopacity benefit but now a lot of ppl on benefits are changing to ESA . Hope this helps x
    • Posted

ESA is for those unable to work, PIP is a disability benefit and is replacing DLA.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.