Have got my date for ablation. 4 weeks away!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Totally terrified. I so wish i didnt have to be awake for the ep study but can understand if they sedate me they sedate my heart.

I am going to insist on good sedation if they do ablation. I admit i am phobic about any medical proceedure so cardio will definitrly get the nervous patient he wants for the ep study!

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

They gave me a light dose of versed before. And then when they started ablating they dosed me up good with fentanyl. Still hurt though. But in talking to my new EP he noted that my arrhythmia was originating in an area that is really painful to ablate and that if we were to ever try again it'd be difficult to really do a proper job without fully sedating me because it'd be so painful. I would note, however, that I have the least common form of SVT (atrial tachycardia) in an uncommon location. I know people who have had ablations for more common types like AVNRT and they said it was no big deal at all, they barely felt it. So it's really going to depend on what they find. Even my procedure, in the painful area, was still tolerable though unpleasant. Honestly the mental fear and anxiety was much more difficult for me than the pain. If I ever try again I think it will be a lot easier because now I know what to expect and won't be quite so afraid.

• Posted

Nope, about 6 months post ablation it came back worse than ever. Currently being managed ok with increased dosage of beta blockers and they want to try flecainide next if the beta blockers stop working. But I'm a uniquely difficult case, less than 10% of people with SVT have atrial tachycardia. 

• Posted

Is the atrial tachycardia Afib or something else? My EP didn't even want to do a holter monitor. No one has ever recorded exactly what I have. He feels confident he knows exactly what it is and easy fix. I don't know. I see the glass half empty.

• Posted

Not Afib though sometimes it can cause Afib they told me. But it's mostly just SVT coming from a random spot in the heart. He equated my case to being like finding a needle in a haystack, where the needle can move around. For most forms of SVT it comes from a known common spot they can find. Most cases of SVT are pretty simple and easy to fix, I'm just unfortunate to be the exception. 

• Posted

Hi Chad,

|I was origionally told I had AVNRT, but on the second EP attempt, \i was told it was AT.

\\\\i have had 3 trys at this.    |All just a big nightmare.

I was never told that AT to turn to Afib.....geez...........

• Posted

Yeah it sucks! I've had one try and my EP doesn't really want to do another one because he can't be at all confident it will work and said based on the location they'd need to fully sedate me because it will hurt like hell to do it properly, and if I'm knocked out they might not even be able to trigger it so it's iffy. I might get a second opinion though, I feel like maybe if I could find the most experienced top of their field EP it might be worth a shot. For now meds are working ok though.

For Afib I don't think it's that it turns into afib. It's just that afib is a fast rate in the atria that doesn't always map 1:1 to a fast rate in the ventricles. If your AT gets fast enough it can cause some of the beats to not conduct properly to the ventricles giving you a slower ventricular beat than atrial. I swear I've had this happen, using during an SVT episode where I have a panic attack and my rate really shoots up. It feels to me like my heart is racing super fast but there are also PVCs mixed in. I don't know if that's actually afib or not but it's a rapid irregular beat so I figure it is. Usually doesn't last long though and it's only happened twice when I really panicked. 

• Posted

Hi!

I had my ablation done last August. And was awake for it. And I am like you, totally terrified of these things. But it really went well. You don’t feel a thing. In fact I didn’t even know when they entered and I could see my heart on the screen in front of me. I didn’t feel a thing really. It’s very easy. So please don’t be afraid. It’s totally worth it! 

• Posted

If you have anymore questions about it, please just let me know!
    • Posted

I can echo Clayton’s response.  I think it’s pretty normal to be afraid when someone is sticking something INTO your heart. I was “awake” too but I don’t remember anything once the doctor entered the EP lab.  I also agree it’s totally worth it. My quality of life is soooo much better now. My fear is subsiding around all the activities that used to be mental triggers due to having svts. 
    • Posted

Thanks. Can i ask how you were in the weeks after the ablation for after effects.
  • Posted

I hope it works out for you. Mine was great for about 10 years, then it came back as something else. IST. Just keep us posted. I'll offer any advice I can. 

• Posted

I had an ablation for SVT about 12 years ago. Everything was fantastic for about 10 years. Then suddenly my heart was acting erratic for no reason.  I had a few hospitals stays. Seems my SVT was trying to make a comeback but in the form of IST. There is not cure that they know of.  So you seriously need to make lifestyle changes. I had no choice. My diet, activity, routine, most everything has changed.  After your procedure, you need to closely monitor your condition. Ask your doctor for a loop recorder implant. Also, it's very important to keep a medical log or journal. Every time you have an episode, no matter now minor, enter it in your journal. Record all details; date, time, place, activity, severity, vital signs, what you ate. Keep this updated at all times and give copies to your doctor. Make it easier for your doctor to help you. Give them all the information you can! This is critical in treating this. Also, eliminate caffeine. Reduce alcohol, junk food, smoking and anything else bad for you. Know your limitations in activity. Good luck and feel free to contact me with any more questions. Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.