have had generalised anxiety disorder for a year not coping

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have had depression for 6 years and last year got diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder. I have tried sertraline, citalopram and now on fluoxetine they help my depression but not my anxiety. I am on a waiting list to see a occupational therapist, as I cannot go anywhere on my own and when I am out which isnt alot as I spend most of my days inside as I feel safer. I sweat alot on my face when I am out and I know its down to my anxiety but I cant relax when I am out and I spend so long getting ready doing my make up etc just for it to sweat all off. Thats why I dont go out as I know I am going to sweat and its controlling my life. I hate going out now I basically have no life.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Rachel,so sorry to hear how you are suffering! I totally understand as I am the same.ive tried different pills too but none seem to work or the side effects make the situation worse! Was has really helped me this past week was watching a prog on tele called The Speakmans,it's a husband and wife team that treat people like us just by talking to them! Sounds far fetched I know but what they did and said made a lot of sense! If you've got sky you can watch it on catchup Itv. 
    • Posted

Thanks Steve for the quick reply, Ok I will look into watching that. Thanks for that.
    • Posted

No problem,let me know what you think Rachel,only if you want to of course! Good lucksmile
  • Posted

Rachel get onto Amazon your find a cd called Pass Through Panic by Dr Claire Weekes, costs under a Tenerife tell you it worked for me it's something you can replay when you have your symptons I to couldn't go out at times and suffered panic attacks. She take you through wat ur suffering step by step, and how to combat your feelings.under  10 pounds and it's great and works 

• Posted

As a teenager and young adult I will sweat everytime I go out specially on close places or long lines.  I will sweat so much that it will come down by the gallon. ;-)  But during all this time until age 52 I manage to do just about everything everyone else did and much more.  Now at 53 I was diagnosed with GA as well, but for some reason I don't sweat that much like before. Maybe the humirity did help a little. btw, I have tried like 8 medications so far for my GA, but so far nothing besides xanax as helped.  In my case I'm light headed 24/7 and lack of air on a daily basis but not all the time.  Sure, my sinus is not helping with the lack of air. ;-(
  • Posted

Hi Rachel, I'm so sorry that you're experiencing these symptoms - I am the same, you're not alone! Make-up (especially in summer) is such a frustration, and I don't wear a lot to begin with, but with the sweating come increase in grease and oils and my skin cannot handle anything being on it at all.. 

That's really positive you're seeing an occupational therapist - I'd definitely encourage you to keep your appointments. 

I wish I could help more for you darling, but at least know you're not alone in your frustration and upset. xx

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, its just really hard as I suffer from body dysmorphic disorder and I feel I need to wear alot of make-up. I am still on the waiting list to see a occupational therapist but shouldnt be too long. Yes made me feel bit better knowing I am not on my own. Thanks again xx
  • Posted

dear rachel,

some people naturally sweat more than others do so don't feel self conscious.  Maybe see if there is an appropriate treatment to counter this? Worth a try anyway.

Richard

• Posted

i am in this hole at this moment i feel safe in doors when i go out then the anxiety starts will i get any better
    • Posted

How are you managing Carol?  Has the anxiety eased at all?  I am the opposite to you, I not like being indoors by myself at all.  Anxiety there when I go out, but I can take my mind off it more.  Let us know how you are.
  • Posted

Hello Rachel.  I was on Effexor for 9 years for depression mostly, but it also stopped my anxiety.  I came of it a year ago and the anxiety is returning.

My problem is the opposite to yours - I hate staying in.  I live alone and feel so lonely.  I want to be out as much as I can, even though I feel anxious.  I need to be with or near people.  I try to control the anxiety as best I can by taking my mind of it.  It is when I am alone, especially when I wake up, that is the worse time for me.  I hate staying in by myself.  When I am out I find I can be doing other things, and although I may not wholly relax, I am surprised when I get home that I have felt OK and dealt with things.  

How are you now, as I see you posted a month ago?  Is the anti depressant you are taking now helping?

• Posted

I think CBT is the way forward for you and also self help cds & books others are mentioning. Theres cbt self help courses you can do which I would look up online. Great stuff on the therapist because I think this will really help. In terms of the sweating have you looked at any cosmetic treatments you can have is this is something you really want tackling? That could be an option aswel as what's causing the sweating x 
    • Posted

Sarah can you please explain about CBT and how it helps with anxiety?  I had read a couple of self help books, but although I tried to do what they suggested it did not really help.  I have tried breathing and relaxtion exercises, but I find it difficult to do them properly.  My mind just wanders.  
    • Posted

Hi Anne, 

This is just my opinion but CBT in my mind, is breaking the thoughts - feelings - behaviour vicious cycle that keeps anxiety going. Looking at patterns in your way of coping with life and if they are unhelpful and keeping your anxiety going, changing them.

For example I hate going to the supermarket because I think I will panic, this makes me feel anxious so I avoid going. This way I never learn that my thoughts may be wrong and the outcome may be different or if i do panic that panic is harmless. 

Since I had CBT my anxiety returned because I had an abusive partner but the gradual exposure side of it is helpful too. Going into anxiety provoking situations in a gradual way so you can grow your self confidence and start to have a holf od anxiety instead of it having a hold of you and so you can start to live a more fruitful life, is a good aspect of it.

I really like the metacognitive therapy whioch has added to CBT skills for me. It basically teaches that thoughts are just thoughts unless we add a special meaning to them xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.