Have i finally lost the plot.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was diagnoised with fibro over a year ago. I am in constant pain and have all the symptons that come with fibro. Yesterday i was in the shower and might i add its not a power shower, its just one that fits on the bath taps, well the pain in my back and on the tops of my feet were unbareable. it was caused by the water touching my skin. Please tell me if anyone else has experienced this, i really dread going into the shower now. 

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I've had times with this I can't stand anything touching my back it is awful. Right now the top of my shoulder blade is so painful with just a very light jumper touching it. We can't walk around naked, if it wasn't so cold I'd be tempted although the shock may be too much for the neighbour's! Go for a very light shower if you must but a bath may be better, sorry I can't help more but it won't last forever.

Sxxx

• Posted

Hi Claire, I've had the same problem and my shower is one of those over the bath, managed to get the head of the shower changed so you can change the rate it comes out. I'm not that bad in the shower now my only problem is I have to have a seat across my bath as I can no longer stand for long periods of time. I hope you manage to get a solution to your problem, I found it didn't last too long

Hope this has been a help

Mel

• Posted

I'm having a lot of trouble with my legs going numb &my feet are freezing cold all the time. I can only stand up for a short time before the pain is too much to bare. I do have arthritis as well,  don't help fibro is so wide spread   . Depression is hard to deal with. Anyone else out suffer with crocky voice & feel they have to clear your throat all the time?
    • Posted

Hi Jeanette I lose my voice completely for months on end every now and again. It is very croaky constantly, but I have learned not to clear my throat as having had speech therapy to try and bring my voice back in the months that it goes, I was warned not to constantly clear my throat, as it can harm the vocal chords! This may not be the case for you however, I don't want to worry you. 
    • Posted

Hi Jeannette, and others;  (I couldn't decide where to add my input...so when the voice came up..thought here is the spot...as I havn't heard anyone else ask this question)...but the answer is Yes...there are many times that my family and friends have commented on my Voice Going....As for the Pain  while in shower, are you gals/guys using the water too hot, as well as having too much pressure....this will set off the nerves.  I find that heat is a very good Antagonist to Fibro...and the pressure of a shower is enough for the Nerves to say "hold on, you're upsetting us".....sending wrong signals to the brain.  As for the Cold Feet, me too, in that one....always like to wear socks in Winter...(and my Winters arn't as bad as other countries, I don't think???).....hoping this is useful, and not too much of a mouthful......wink   Bron
    • Posted

Hi Jeanette, me again;   am also wondering what meds you take for your Fibro....you have also mentioned "the depression is hard to deal with"....and yes, we all have to deal with this too....it's, I feel, a lot to do with changes we have to make/decreased social life/decreased ability to contribute to our familys', both financially and emotionally.....do you/have you tried Amitriptylline (I take 35mgms at night/ sometimes take 10 during the day, and then25 at night)?  I have noted that many on this forum have also benefitted from using Amitrptylline, for our pain and our emotions.....let me know the answer to this...otherwise it should be brought up with your treating GP, and if you are already using same, try Fluoxitine...a light ant-depressant....other docs also provide Cymbalta...something a little stronger....it really depends on how depressed you feel, but please don't ever feel ashamed re same, as it is something that is "Normal" for a lot of people (not only people with medical conditions), but as our lives have become sooooo stressful, that it is becoming more and more common, and does need to be treated.  When my emotional rollercoaster gets out of hand, I go and speak to my Psychologist, and she gets me back on track....hoping you find this helpful, and doesn't make your personal issues worse?     Bron
    • Posted

Well now, this clears up yet another issue for me - my partner commented that he was worried about me as I'm continuously clearing a sticky throat, not actually a cough just a little noise to clear a tickle at the back of my throat.  Never thought that it might be the fibro - one more horrible symptom along with the millions of others! the disease that keeps on giving.  
    • Posted

Hello Bronwyn  It's so good to be able to talk to other people who know how you are really feeling. But wouldn't wish it on anyone though. Also I returned from Australia two years ago. So was not allowed to apply for DLA even though I was on full disability over there. I have advanced arthritis in my knees so not able to walk very far but have to walk 20 min to sign on job seekers it is so painful. I worked as a carer for children with disability not had any other skills. I'm going on a bit sorry.
    • Posted

No please, Jeannette, please finish your story?  It is why I come on this site, to hear of other's issues, and sometimes find answers to my own....if you were working with disadvantaged children, you have a Lot to offer, as that is a Very hard job to do, and as you say "you didn't have any other skills"...that is a very important skill...it's something that not many can do...it is Very demanding work, both Selfless and forever Giving...and I bet you those children Really miss you, as there arn't many of us willing to take on that role....even send me your story privately, if you feel you will be taking up too much space here....looking forward to hearing from you.....smileBron
    • Posted

Soon agree with Bronwyn..please please smilekeep on sharing..we really do care about what you have to say...your words are really important to us on here especially.  Hope you have a really lovely day Jeanette..be blessed..:-) xxx
  • Posted

Hi Claire I have had to stop taking a shower now because it's so painful- I have baths now, and have just started adding magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts) and have found it really helps, it doesn't completely stop the pain, but it does ease it for a while! 
  • Posted

Thanks guys, im some what hopeful now that it might not last. I cant use the bath because ive put on so much weight since being diagnosed, almost 4 stone, i cant get in or out, so shower is my only option at the minute.
  • Posted

Hi Claire I was diagnosed with fibro 15 yrs ago it is so difficult for people that don't have it to understand. I have a problem with cloths that touch my legs so live behind closed doors & curtains. Yesterday I over heard my next door neibour talking about me being fake. So hurtful I do have good days so they judge me on that. I hope you have all the support you need.
    • Posted

Oh Jeannette; How Horrible....once again we are back to having to Validate ourselves....there are times that I wish Fibro, ME, PMR were all contagious....even for just a month or so....transmit it by a mosquito bite, or similar !!!!  I think there wouldn't even be a necessity for formus like this, if others knew how we feel....and as for the clothes irritating, this I also understand, as I had always relied on "leggings" for warmth, but now can only wear them for very short time....I put it down to being/having synthetic in them,  and now only wear cotton/linen/jeans...but I havn't got to the point that I have to wear nothing....but have said I wish I were of the Male species in Summer, and could wear only the briefiet of undies......  Please know, Jeanette, that not people are as horrible as your neighbours (yep, I know there are two kinds...maybe more...in this world of people)...but we all understand and feel for you....I know when you heard that, you would have liked a shoulder to cry on/get a hug...so am sending both...Bron
    • Posted

Hi Jeannette;  my last reply was that I thought this remark "was Horrible" for your neighbours to say such a thing....There are times that I wish that these illnesses, such as Fibro/ME/PMR etc were contagious, if even for a month or so....perhaps a transmission by an infected mosquito or such, just so they could get "an idea" of what it's like.......(what I am thinking that our Moderator didn't like is that I added that if this were the case, then we would not need these forums...sorry moderator,  it was not put properly into context....we do need this forum for knowledge....however, should have wrote that Jeannette wouldn't have had to hear such horrible words)....and yes, there are many different types of people in this world....and I am so sorry that you had to hear such hurtful words.....I am sending you a shoulder and a hug for that time..............Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.