Have I had a mild heart attack?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm looking for some opinions here because I'm worried sick following and A&E admission a couple of days ago. Last week whilst sitting I developed this excruciating chest pain. Sharp pain through to the back and radiating up to my jaw only. It lasted a couple of hours and I put it down to reflux/indigestion which I've never experienced. Thot nothing else of it. On tues I was admitted to A&E with ongoing palpitations which lasted about 12 hours. ECG showed back to back ectopics. Bloods and echo normal. Went home with holter tape. ETT was ok but doc says I've got benign ventricular ectopy. One of the docs in A&E said my chest pain last week could have been MI but echo was normal and the cons didn't mention it again. I'm now petrified I've had a mild heart attack. I feel really stressed about it. My cons didn't mention it when I saw him yesterday and I wish I had asked. Not seeing him for 3months. Any advice?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not if your bloods echo etc have come back normal, how old are you
    • Posted

I'm only 32. I've no family history of early heart disease and otherwise well. I guess I'm just worrying. It was quite a frightening experience being ushered into resus and the defib pads slapped on my chest with the nurse saying here's a little aspirin. I was having ectopics back to back and the palpitations were about every 30seconds to a minute for the full 12 hours.

• Posted

They said it was to monitor me but I'm not so convinced. It felt like they were preparing just in case.

• Posted

OK maybe before they knew what was going on. How long were you in for and I know the echo would show any damage left from a MI even and old one, it leaves scars
    • Posted

Thanks that's really reassuring to hear. I was only in for the day. Unfortunately there was an issue with inpatient beds so I lay in resus all day and they arranged for my echo to be done before I left and sent me home with a 48hour tape.

• Posted

Nothing regular but he has asked the GP to give me bisoprolol to have at home incase I become symptomatic.
    • Posted

There a safe med, also used for anxiety as well, usually these are given to take regularly.

Have you seen cardiologist yet

• Posted

yeah its been the consultant cardiologist I've saw all through apart from the initial A&E doc. He said i could take the meds regularly but his feelings were that this wouldn't give me any trouble so if I was happy he would just write to gp to give me some to keep handy incase I experienced frequent palpitations or dizziness. I think I'm ok with that but it's just this chest pain I had that last worrying me. He didn't seem as concerned about it as the initial A&E doctor did and hasn't really mentioned it since.

• Posted

Remember that the Dr you see at the beginning of your visit to A&E is just a registrar, he is not a consultant he is not specific in any field yet.

Please go with your consultant he is the expert and to be honest I think he is treating you for anxiety not a heart attack.

I'm sure that what you suffered was a massive panic attack, what were your other symptoms other than pain

• Posted

I only experienced the pain last Thursday and didn't think anything of it other than it was possibly reflux . On Tuesday when I was admitted there was no pain and I haven't had any since. It was the ongoing palpitations that took me round to A&E. i work in the hospital and my colleagues urged me to go round to get a quick ecg. I feel ok now after the palpitations stopped after about 12 hours except. I truly think this has all been brought on by a build up of stress over the past few months. Your comments are really reassuring and I think is just need to build my confidence up again after the fright I got.

• Posted

Fear is a massive wake up call, it can completely take us from being a rational human being to someone who literally fears for there life.

I'm sure that once you have lowered your adrenaline levels you will find your palps and flutters will stop.

Not saying they will never come back but when they do you will be able to calm your heart.

Check out square breathing on Google and think of taking up yoga or another relaxation technique

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear you've had a heart scare Debbie. I think an echo would show heart damage after a heart attack so if that was clear it's a good sign. If you're worried though, maybe give the cardiologist a call to make sure. I'm in a similar boat. I had back and chest pain that landed me in hospital just over two months ago. My ECG and blood tests (taken 5 hrs after the onset of symptoms) were clear, but I haven't had an echo. I'm having a CT angiogram next Tuesday to check the state of my arteries. Not sure if this will show any heart damage though so if you or anyone else knows anything about that, I'd be grateful for any info? Please keep us updated on how you're getting on

• Posted

Thanks. I wondered if there was a time whereby your bloods would return to normal i.e. x amount of days after a cardiac event making it difficult to say really. The first doctor seemed convinced the pains I had were cardiac. I think I may need to give the cons a call and clear it all up. I'm not very clued up about cardiology tbh but I'd imagine the CT Angio would possibly diagnose any disease within the vessels i.e. Thickening.

• Posted

I always imagine cardiac pain different which is why I thought mine was reflux. What was you pain like? Was it quite sharp?
    • Posted

I'm sorry you have both had to go through this, yes it will show if you have any blocked arteries and anything else untoward.

I'm surprised they haven't done an echo though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.