Have you ever convinced yourself of chronic illness?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been going through lots o anxiety and depression the past few weeks again..and lately, I've been OCD/Hypochondriac reading about a condition called ME/CFS, or chronic fatigue syndrome..it's such a scary condition people are bed ridden, there is no cure..constant pain major medicine doesn't even quite realize it..what a horrible road. Some people get better, some never. 

I've had a few symptoms of it and have become obsessed and in a dark place, I've convinced myself i've probably got it and my life will end.. a life of suffering all my dreams dead. It's making me pretty depressed and afraid to do anything, I barely even eat.. I keep waking up after a few hours of rest and I'm feeling horrible. Has anyone ever worked themselves up like this? The thing is with a disease that takes years for a diagnosis..where is even the comfort I dont have it?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I'm no expert but it sounds as if you may have health anxiety. Constantly worrying that you have a serious disease/illness which the symtoms are more than likely made worse by your anxiety. Im not saying you dont have some symtoms that make you feel unwell but anxiety definantly makes them seem a lot worse Please Stop googling thats by far the worst thing you can do. See your doctor and explain how you feel they can advise you much better you are not alone

• Posted

I often feel this way. There is this very quiet part of me that knows that I can't possibly have every ailment that I demonstrate a few symptoms of, but the louder part of my mind seems to be constantly yelling that I am dying. Give yourself time. I keep telling myself that I can't possibly feel this way forever. I believe that is true for you as well. Chronic stress CAN wreak havoc on your system. Working yourself up can probably cause many of the same symptoms as chronic fatigue syndrome. Just take care of yourself and your body and give it time.
  • Posted

Hi, I suffer with the same type of anxiety, and with anxiety and depression in general. I suggest you read a book called The Worry Trick by David Carbonell. It explains how our worries trick out brains into thinking we're in danger when we're not. It's really really helped me. I suggest also going and seeing a professional. After I started therapy for my anxiety I felt a lot better. It's all a process, but I'm sure you can overcome these health fears. Best of luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.