Have you ever convinced yourself of chronic illness?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been going through lots o anxiety and depression the past few weeks again..and lately, I've been OCD/Hypochondriac reading about a condition called ME/CFS, or chronic fatigue syndrome..it's such a scary condition people are bed ridden, there is no cure..constant pain major medicine doesn't even quite realize it..what a horrible road. Some people get better, some never. 

I've had a few symptoms of it and have become obsessed and in a dark place, I've convinced myself i've probably got it and my life will end.. a life of suffering all my dreams dead. It's making me pretty depressed and afraid to do anything, I barely even eat.. I keep waking up after a few hours of rest and I'm feeling horrible. Has anyone ever worked themselves up like this? The thing is with a disease that takes years for a diagnosis..where is even the comfort I dont have it?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

has a doctor told you that you're fine?

• Posted

Yes but CFS and ME is an illness that doesn't quite show up in blood tests
    • Posted

arent both of those VERY unlikely?
    • Posted

About more than 200k cases per year, modern medicine is finally starting to accept it exists..but man these people suffer so bad I'm afraid of becoming one of them
    • Posted

200,000 people is not that many.

are you in anyway qualified to make a diagnosis of this yourself?

• Posted

Yes, well,,is symptoms persist longer than 6 months. It's a really misunderstood and dark world..so many different types of treatments and levels of severity some treatments don't even work and people just dwindle into nothing. The woman who wrote "seabiscuit" has it and is unable to leave her house.
    • Posted

i dont think you need to worry about that unless a doctor tells you that you have it, right?
  • Posted

I have been depressed and worried sick about a terminal illness a dozen times in my life. I completely understand what ur going through. Whenever I was worried sick of a horrible disease, I would barely function and just wanted to be in bed. Some ppl never understand what I go thru. In fact I'm going thru a bad phase right Now, worried sick of having a heart disease. I am trying to keep on working though. The funny thing is that, even if I know I've gone thru this dozens of times, (and turned out not to have a terminal disease) I am still convinced I'm dying right now. Its just that my brain keeps ensuring that in every bad phase I am 100% convinced I'm dying. Its horrible. I hope u get better and I am almost sure u don't have that, ur mind is playing tricks on u, especially reading and googling. Good luck and stay strong thru this bad mental phase smile
    • Posted

Claudia do you feel the same like you can't stay asleep aren't hungry and feel like you try to enjoy life but can't because something is terribly wrong and nobody knows but you??
  • Posted

me! i have terrible morning anxiety and constantly convince myself i have lung cancer but when i keep myself busy it goes away.

its the most lonliest place to be in your own head.

hope you figure a way out of it soon ❤

• Posted

totally understand how you feel i have convinced myself i have ms or poems syndrome because i have lots of numbness/tingling symptoms,it has completely taken over my life
    • Posted

Sarah I'm sorry you're going through it..is it affecting your sleep? Do you feel like you can't enjoy anything or aren't present at all in situations because it's always on your mind and that like your life is over or you'll spend the rest of your life suffering?
    • Posted

yes thhat is exactly how i feel-its 24/7 worrying that i have something seriously wrong
  • Posted

Badluck

It sounds like you do have anxiety and your thought processes are spiraling. When my panic attacks happened and I got the all clear for my heart i then started to think I had a embolism, cancer and numerous other things. The bit that stopped me was helping myself and saying "enough!" its almost like I was having a conversation with myself. The key thing for me was sorting out my mindset and keeping my brain occupied. The worse thing about anxiety / panic attacks is the fact that our brains are in overdrive and our fear part of the brain is MAJORILY sensitive. So any conscious or subconscious thought caused the adrenaline release.

I think you should first ensure you basic health is fine - and then work on keeping the mind busy with tasks and outcomes.

This all may sound wishy washy but its the only way I got myself out of my issues.

• Posted

im really struggling to find something positive to get me out of this,its gone beyond calming down and trying to think rationaly,what is the first step to getting better,i really need to get out of this obsession of thinking i have ms its ruining my life and i panic that my kids are not being looked after properly while i feel like this
    • Posted

You have more awareness of whats happening then you realize. If you can self calm and peel away all the fear you will find you have a gut feeling, an inner voice that can guide  you. Its all blocked right now, its guarded by fears. Self calming techniques are too keep you in a place you can begin to figure this out and manage it. The truth is you have to change the way you think, change the way you see the world, and change the way you respond to the world and accept it all as is. But that sounds very over whelming doesnt it. How does one do all this in a flash. They cant embrace all this change. So self calming techniques are needed to manage the panic attacks so you can get cbt, or meditate or therapy to begin the journey. I will  tell you a secret i have two friends with MS, one is bad and neither  have panic attacks ..not before they were diagnosed or decades later. This is something else. I have raised a family with panic attacks as have tons of others. You can do this, just know you can do this and you will continue to figure out what techniques self calm you and learn cbt and mindfullness. I would stringly suggest when you learn cbt you have your kids learn it as well. Arm them now so they always have the tools to revert to. 
    • Posted

thanks lisa your words do helpbut i dont think ive ever had an actual panic attack as such ,what i experience is constant shaking and like nervousness in my voice of course along with all the numb tingly feelings lol,3 doctors have said i dont have ms but each timd iv seen them ive been in such an anxious state i feel like cos the first one made the chronic anxiety diagnosis they all just agree if that makes sense
    • Posted

Cbt can helo with geralized anxiety as well. It can honestly help with any form of anxiety, depression or ocd. They just alter the program to adjust it to your own needs. Their is a lot of liability issues involved with being a doctor and you have seen three doctors for the fear of MS they all arent going to be so foolish to just agree with some other doctors anxiety diagnoses.they be out of jobs. They are medically trained.  It does not work like that. That is why people go for more then one decision/opinion. there are obvious MS signs that have zero to do with anxiety and dont present as anxiety and that are evident based. I say that too comfort you not contradict you.i firmly believe to always get a physical exam of any ailment before treating any anxiety issue.saying that .. Anxiety has severity levels and can encompass other anxiety related diagnosis like ocd, depression, add..,etc.. Cbt can help with all of them if done properly. It will never get to the point you can not calm down, its learning the skills and tools to do so. And if needed medication. It all depends on the severity. Im not a doctor just trying to help you figure this all out.
    • Posted

god my anxiety is thru the roof this morning because my left hand is more numb and tingly than usual and is up my arm,its driving me crazy ,please help with some rational words x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.