haveing a total hysterectomy tuesday

Posted , 10 users are following.

iam due to go in on tuesday 5/05/15 for a total abdominal hysterectomy i really want to back out.i have an ovaien cyst size of a 35 week pregance.iam over weight also have gallstones panic attacks ibs and fybromialge.im frighten that im going to die or somthink silly hate being away from home.worried somethink will go wrong.im 39 none smoker dnt drink.fairly fit just over weight 18stone.help please

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I'm not in your situation, but if you are not 100% sure this is what you want and there is a different option you need to go back to your consultant and delay the op. It isn't reversible, you need to be sure and discuss your concerns and options first. They have to listen to you and you have the right to say no or not now.

Xx

• Posted

Hi ,

This is easier for me to say since i have had my op but please don't worry.I am 24 days post op following a TAH & BSO.I also had several fibroids removed the largest weighing just over 6lb and the size of a 32 week pregnancy.The op went well and i feel great.I had to have injections for 3 months before the op to try and shrink the size of the fibroids.On these injections i lost a stone in weight but i was also 18stone before.Even weighing 17 stone for the op my main concern was this but no one told me to lose any more weight.With the extra 6lb now lost from the fibroid and a bit more i now weigh 16 stone 4lb.I can't renember when i last weighed this but i feel grest and already buying clothes 2 sizes smaller.I also have IBS but since the op i have suffered quite badly with consipation but that can be normal post op.Please don't delay this op as a lady next to me was in with cyts that had burst and she was in agony.I hope i have helped,please ask me anything else if you want to.

xxx

• Posted

hi teresa2545 thank you so much for your reply i have been awake all night i suffer with panic attacks which isnt helping me in this case.i was 19 and a half stone before xmas but became very ill at xmas with gallstones which i new i already had.went to docs they sent me for ultra sound scan where they then found this massive cyst 25by25by11 i thk it was but clearly got a hell of alot bigger since.ive had mris and tumor marks they pretty sure it not cancer.i had high liver function som had to see liver doc before they would even book surgery i had passed a gallstone that was painfull but i have a strong pain barrier,i got to have tah and ovaries removed im worried about hrt and all that.after opp they sending me on to a speacail ward so i can be monited closely coz im fat which has worried me more.im frighten of takeing drugs incase they make me high or see spiders on the wall if ypou get me.ive gone down in dress size from 24 to 18/20 i thk some of the weight is in the cyst.im frighten when they say your more of a risk coz your bmi i dnt want to die i have one son 20 yrs.i never spend any time apart from my hubby his my rock and i dnt want to be in hospital with out him.sorry to tell you so much nut as you been tho it and are if simla sizee hopefully you can reasure me thanks xx

• Posted

sorry aslo how long was you in hospital for did they cut across your belly or up wards.may i ask how old you are thanks x
    • Posted

Hi Sally,

Sorry for the delay but i have had such a busy day but i have now got half an hr before i am due a visitor.Since the op i have more energy and there is no stopping me now.I am in and out all the time.I was in hospital for 3 nights,had a horizontal cut across the bikini line and i am 45 years old.If you cancel this op you might regret it and have to wait ages before another date.Your husband can be with you until you are taken to theatre.I was only in pain for a few days after but it wasn't agony.Once you get home you will feel more comfortable.You only have a few days to go and it qill all be over.Please don't give up now.

XXX

• Posted

thank you huni it helps reading how others have felt and the road they been down.i am feeling a bit more postive now.hopfully i wont back out.in some ways i wish i was going private as i know your husbands can even stay in with you in hospital day and night coz my panic attacks my hubby is with me tho everythink.

xxx

• Posted

Hi Sally,  I had to reply as I hate to see anyone so upset.  I didn't have the total ab hysterectomy but I did have fibroids and appalling bleeding symptoms.  I haven't felt well for a couple of years now.  About eight weeks ago I had vaginal hysterectomy, and I have to say - I had my review a couple of days ago and got the go-ahead to do a bit of exercise.  I went to Pilates that night, and am going to go regularly.  I feel like I have never felt better.  The fibroids/bleeding must have absolutely drained me.  I simply feel that the symptoms we all have as the result of the sickness in our wombs may have been there for so long that we end up feeling, depressed, lethargic and simply ill.  It is your body, and if you are unsure, as Anna said you should speak with your consultant.  But I need you to know that for me, after that first few weeks, it was a very rapid upward movement and I feel more positive than I have done in years.  I am losing weight now and have lots more energy.  Whatever you decide, good luck.  xxxx
  • Posted

Hi Sally, I can't begin to understand what you are going through but be assured it is all worth it in the end.  I too had worries about leaving the other half to cope but he has been absolutely brilliant and stepped up to the mark.  Sometimes us women have just got to be selfish and think of ourselves and with health issues i think this is most definitely one of those times. I baffled my surgeon and anesthetist by refusing morphine as i too didn't want to have any hallucinations and feel i have to be in control at all times (side effect of IBS) but after several conversations and them promising not to attach a morphine drip to me after op i agreed to have morphine during the op as they promised it is out of your system within 45 minutes of op ending, when i came round i felt a bit woozy but to be expected and within 2 hours i was watching tv and feeling fine.  Admittedly i was not ill before the op as tablets were controlling all my symptoms and i was/am quite fit.  I agree with the other ladies on here that you need to talk to your surgeon/consultant, you could go along on Tuesday with all good intentions and still walk away and not go through with it if thats what you want to do, and in most hospitals your hubby can be with you right until you are taken to theatre and he can be there when you wake up. Hope some of this helps.
    • Posted

hi hun glad someone eles doesnt like morphine ive never had it but like you said i like to be in controll.did you have a full hysterectomy did you have any other pain relief.was you in hospital long and was the pain bad.xx
    • Posted

Subtotal (kept ovaries and cervix) hysterectomy, i was offered orramorph which is oral morphine in tablet form but i refused so i was given paracetomols instead. I haven't really had a lot of pain as such, obviously there is pain but its a lot less than i ever imagined, i'm now 18 days post op and apart from the little niggle around scar area when i've overdone it i'm feeling really good. I got up and started walking around the day after op and haven't really stopped since, i'm back cooking and doing bits of cleaning and shopping etc (no hoovering as yet) but feel i have been really lucky as i've not had the tiredness that others have spoken of.  I did get the gas a couple of times which is like a knot under your ribs, i took the peppermint oil tablets which were administered in hospital but to be honest i think they made my IBS worse and gave me an upset stomach so that may be something to also think about.

I hope you make the right decision for you xx

• Posted

Dear Sally

Have your op, it is not as bad as you think.  The worst bit is the worry before hand.  It is very good you don't smoke, and no alcohol, it would really help if you could get a few pounds off before your op, but I know there is not a lot of time until Tuesday.  The calmer you can be the better the healing process.  Try some meditation, it really helps.  There is lots to choose from on YouTube, it works wonders for panic attacks as well.

You will find this forum very helpful, all the ladies are very supportive, especially if you have any worries or questions.  

Good luck for Tuesday Sally, you will soon be joining us all on the road to recovery.

Love

Jacqui smile

• Posted

I  am almost 64 had TAH+BSO over wieght dress size 24 /26 I had a cyst the size of a large orange. I sailed though op and recovery no problems. try deep breathing listening to your favorite music. Everybody worries about having an operation but I am sure your will be fine. Most ladied are home 48 hours after op good luck I am sure you will find it's not half as badas you are expecting
  • Posted

Sally

I am 4 wks post op, I was a nervous wreck too. I had a TAH with ovaries removed and I was dreading the pain after the op. I can honestly say the operation was fantastic! (as ops go) they gave me a spinal to numb the pain for when I woke up therefore didn't have to have as much anaesthetic (was still completely put to sleep) and when I came round I wasn't drowsy or sick and absolutely no pain! My hubby could nt believe how well I looked when I came out the theatre. I too was worried about being overweight but there is always someone bigger than you that go through an operation. I am now waiting to see my gyno (in 2 wks) to be given HRT. If you decide to have the op good luck for Tuesday. You will be fine. I went in on Good Friday and came home bank holiday Monday.

• Posted

Hi Sally

I have just read your post and my heart goes out to you, I dont want to tell you what you should do, as only you can do that, but what I will do is share my experience with you in hope it can help in anyway. I an 45 years old no children fell really ill with an abcess on my ovary last July and during the investigations an tests they found multiple fibroids in my uterus, this made my uterus as large as a 4 month pregnancy as well as having heavy periods and constant period pains,bowel and bladder discomfort and like teresea had a course of monthly hormone implants to try to reduce the size, (didnt really make much difference for me) anyway I was told from the very beginning that I would need a TAH & BSO.I was scared, nervous, worried about having to take time off work, a wholeload of what if's went through my mind as I had never had surgery or an anasthetic before. However I am now 3 weeks post op and doing really well, all of the doctors amd nurses were wonderful really put my mind at rest and looked after me. I am glad it is over, and so glad I h it done although still in the early days of recovery I feel so much better and I know I wont ever get any problems again with my uterus,ovaries,tubes and cervix. I would advise you to speak to PALS at your hospital they were very good for me,Also this forum is a god send for anyone having or had surgery. So use it and speak to like minded ladies we are here to help. So sorry to have rattled on but I really do feel for you.

Sending you a big reassuring hug.

Nikki xx

• Posted

thank you so much everyone for the kind words.i have no choose but to have it done as the cyst could burst and is massive.i just worry about everythink and anythink.what if this what if that.how long will i be in hospital.last few days have been a massive roller coaster i cant get eveythink out of my head.after the opp they are sending me to a gerus which is like intensive care so i can be watched more closely as i have a high bmi that frightens me even more even tho il get better care one to one nurseing.i know its the fear of the unknowen.i dnt like the sound of morfinen i preff to be in control of things not out of it if you understand.any more advise would be helpfull and nice thanks xx
    • Posted

Well done Sally be brave and be posotive, the hospital im sure will take great care of you and you must let them know how you are feeling each day, the pain really is not that bad I only needed Morphine for the 1st 24 hours post op  and i had no side effects apart from drowsiness- which is not a bad thing(couldn't have an epi-dural which is much better than morphine so maybe you could ask for one of those when you speak to the anaesthethist on the morning of your op) then only needed ibuprofen and paracetomol. I was in hospital for 3 days altogether. I think you are better to have the op now rather then wait for it to burst when it could make things worse, you are young healthy so you should recover fairly quickley. Will be thinking of you on Tueasday and please, please let us know how you are doing.

Nikki xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.