Having a meltdown....

Posted , 10 users are following.

So guys, I knew I was going to need your support, but maybe not this soon.....I had the audacity to go to the supermarket today, gentle walking for approx 40 minutes. Plus about half an hour light housework, and a catch up with friends, I was driven there and back.....Im now sat in tears of pain and frustration, with an icepack on my knee, waiting for the Codeine to kick in, Im 48 years old, but feel God knows how old, and my TKR is not scheduled until March 2015. All Ican see if the Christmas period looming, all my friends and family partying, and me, party pooper of the year, laid up at home. The one thing I was not prepared for was the emotional turmoil....sorry to be so negative but I'm really struggling tonight.....

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm not surprised. I couldn't do anything like that before the op. It proves how much you need it. Could you ask to be considered for an early op if there's a cancellation. 
    • Posted

I asked on Monday when they decided that surgery needed to be sooner rather than later, but apparantly the system is so efficient now that cancellations are next to none. But if they call me on Xmas Eve with a cancellation Il be in there! 
  • Posted

You may have to resolve to just forget about this Christmas unless you wish to live with the pain. Be careful of alcohol and codiene. Not a good mix. Be patient, you have a rough few months ahead. I never had to wait more than 6 weeks of which most of that was my doing because of personal schedule. I'd be looking for a spot on the ortho's cancellation schedule I'd that's possible.
  • Posted

I'm pretty sure that everyone in this group can understand your frustration and has been in tears and felt very down. That being said, I don't know what to say except all those things you've no doubt heard before. The emotional turmoil is a roller coaster, and it's very real. Things that have helped me - listening to audiobooks and getting caught up in a story, meditation, and developing (finally) a 'what will be, will be' attitude. When it all gets too much, I remind myself that I'm doing my best and that's all I can do. It's much harder during the holidays, when everyone else seems to be zooming about and having fun, but remember, a lot of that 'fun' is not real either and underneath are other struggling people. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your words and understanding - I hadnt thought about audio books, Im a proper bookworm but have the attention span of an amnesiac goldfish at present! Im so self critical. I expect to be able to do all the normal stuff - unfortunately my knee has deteriorated so quickly that 3 months ago I was walking 5 miles a day and working 45 hours a week, fast forward to today..... pffft!
    • Posted

One other thought I had is that you might ask for a cortisone shot in your knee to keep you going until March. The shots did wonders for me this summer while I was waiting for for my TKR - almost hadd me wondering why I was going ahead with it.
  • Posted

Thanks to eveyone for you input, I feel really calm again now, this emotional roller coaster has really knocked me for six.....
  • Posted

Hi, Here in Oz we have this priority scale. That seems to determine how soon we get the op. I went back to my referring doctor because I was in pain like you. He emailed the hospital and raised my priority.

i don't know what the system is in the UK anymore. My doctor also said that if you present at emergency a certain amount of times, it gets priority status. Just a thought and worth a shot.

in the meantime know that you are not alone and the tears of frustration and pain have been shed by all of us here, we understand.

Caz

• Posted

Hi Terri. Feel want to give you a virtual hug. Focus on the fact you have March TKR on the horizon just over 3 months away. Try to pace yourself and realise because of your condition things will take longer and you have limitations but you don't need to miss out on the fun factor. Ask your consultant GP for some walking aids. I found everyone is really helpful and understanding if you have crutches and a stick. If you can smile at people they smile back. 

I am going to my nieces wedding 21st December my knee will probably complain I will be 4weeks post TKR but I have rigged up my crutches with christmas lights battery operated to make a little merriment at the wedding.

pain management is essential . Ask your hospital if you could chat with the pain control nurse you'll see after your op they may have some extra advice for pain relief and general lifestyle.

pain will be a bit worse with colder weather. But you are doing the right things in resting and icing. Put some good old christmas films on and laugh and cry with them. 

Treat yourself have home spa days eat as if you're at a health farm. Learn breathing exercises which will help with the pain. 

You have 3 months to prepare and get yourself into the best place possible for your op.

come on here and just talk it out . You will be fine you'll soon have a nice shiny new knee. Think about next summer sunshine and being able to walk a lot better

keep your chin up and take care

• Posted

The vast majority of supermarkets have a wheelchair or mobility scooters - ask to use one. I was told once that if they are not used during the day one of the staff has to ride round on it to use the battery up so it can be fully charged overnight so you will be helping them! That will help a lot - they will often even give you a person to help get stuff from the higher or lower shelves.

And before you wail that will make you feel helpless etc etc - do you wear glasses? If you were hard of hearing would you use a hearing aid? When it is difficult to walk - you use a walking stick, crutches - or a wheelchair. It really isn't any different. Just in YOUR head. 

Annodoremouse has given good advice about pain relief - never wait until it has started to take the pills, keep it permanently under control. 

And something I found very useful when my knees were mangled and very painful (not TKRs though) was one of those cooler things you put in the freezer to chill champagne bottles (bigger than wine bottles)! I believe you can now buy proper ones for various joints but I would put it round my knee whilst sitting in the car or anywhere else come to that. Not as messy as ice and if you have fairly slim legs it reaches all the way round. 

The trouble with needing orthopaedic surgery in winter, especially over Christmas, is winter pressures, icy pavements and the Bank Holidays, all 4 of them in 2 weeks. But keep asking - it may be worth asking about other hospitals with possibly shorter waiting lists.

• Posted

Cheap ice, bags of peas inside a plastic bag is better and cheaper than the bought icebags (I have 2 of those Aitcast and a long white one) 

I got a cancellation less than a month after seeing the consultant, which just happened to be at a private hospital (with medics 24/7) 1st class care.

Keep pain under control by changing meds. Some people can take paracetamol and Ibuprofen. If pain is bad Paracetamol can be taken 4 times a day AND Ibuprofen 3 times a day. Check with GP first. I would have chosen that route but Im allergic to Ibufrofen so I have CoDydramol

If you can avoid going out in icy weather then do so. 

• Posted

The advantage of the wine bottle coolers is that they don't leak all over the place when out from home. I use peas or ice at home too.
  • Posted

Hi Terri,oh what a shame love,but I think you pushed yourself too much this time. By now it will have settled down and you will be feeling a wee bit better. Now March is only 12 weeks away not too long so pace yourself. We all say this and we all do too much but it makes sense to save everything for the thing you really want to do. You will be great a Xmas as long as you ration yourself rest well before you get up and dance till dawn eh? Come on, your made of tough stuff you can do this.x
  • Posted

bless you terri ... i can totally feel for you as can all others on here of course. the decline of my knees was similar to yours.  getting a shot in the knee is an excellent suggestion, i went from a teary wreck to dancing the fandango in 8 hours. taking meds every day to prevent a meltdown is a must. here i would also speak to your gp as paracetamol and such may not be strong enough. they weren't for me. 

these next three months are going to help you prepare for the post op time. and if you learn to listen to your body, take some of the excellent advice given on here and be PATIENT, it will give you a huge headstart after the op. 

and remember that we are here, very happt to share any info / wisdom we have gleaned during our voyage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.