Having a Total Hysterectomy this Saturday

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I'm 36 and having a Total hysterectomy on Saturday. I'm terrified any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey, I'm 32 and mine is Friday! Feeling the same!! Eek!!

Rach xx

• Posted

Hi Rach, I was ment to be having a vaginally hysterectomy however it's no longer possible as my uterus has grown within weeks. There now doing it privately as they said it needs doing. I wish I asked more questions. I have to be at the hospital 7:30 am. How about you x
    • Posted

Yeh same...I have to be in at 7 Friday morning. I also have to have it done abdominally. It's scary stuff and I stopped asking questions as all answers were different so guess I will just have to see on the day! We should keep in touch! X
    • Posted

I hope everything goes ok, yes definitely keep in touch n let me know how things go. Good luck for Friday x
  • Posted

Hi 

I am 45 and had a TAH on the 12th of Feb. I am sure lots of people will want to give you advice, however everyone's experience is unique to themselves. I guess your feeling a bit anxious right now, and that's fine too....this is a big deal. I really thought I  was going to breeze through the whole thing.....but have a realistic view that your going to have good days and bad days..... Be patient and kind to yourself and take up the offer of anyone who is offering to help!!! A few practical things that may help you. A few practical things that you may want to consider

- big pants - my husband made me giggle every time he took them out of the washing machine! Your abdomen maybe quite bloated for a couple of weeks and these are so much more comfy.

- dry shampoo- guilty as charged, just helps a bit till you feel like washing your hair

- drink plenty of fluids, constipation can be a bit of a nightmare ( still struggling a bit with mine)

- you may want a few extra pillows, I found it easier on my wound to sleep upright for a while, don't be afraid to take the painkillers though.

i only joined this forum at the weekend and although I have a loving and supportive family....there is someone on here who just gets it, that will help you through.

good luck for Saturday and let us know how you are getting on...... I decided to skip the gym,/ mountain walking this week!!!!! So there are lots of us around if you have any other questions.

Be brave x

• Posted

Thank you, sounds like good advice. It's good to know others are or have been in the same situation. I will let you know how it all goes. Fingers n toes crossed x
  • Posted

Hi Tracy and Rach I'm 4 weeks post op I had tah and ovaries removed.honest everything will be fine.as long as you rest and take things easy.the waiting is the worse I found as did lots of other ladies on here.this site has been such a big help to me.the info about big knickers is true they are really much more comfy and stool softness too because for me the hardest thing was going for a no 2.it felt like contractions in my stomach.hope all goes well ladies,be thinking of you both.all the best and don't worry.Karen x
  • Posted

Am 35 now 5 weeks post op . Rest up after your op give your self time to heal , don't rush to do things . You will be fine ;-)

Xxx

• Posted

Hi thank you for your comment. I hope your recovery is going well x
  • Posted

I felt the same mine was a total hysterectomy as well mine was last Wednesday the only thing I can say is you obviously need to have this just try and think about after when sometime in the future when you will feel better thats what I'm looking forward to
    • Posted

Thank you Lyn is the pain as bad as people say it cant be much worse than what I am im already in can it.That's what I'm trying to do think of life after the op, and I hope pain free. How are you feeling?
    • Posted

I was on tramadol , paracetamol , naproxen pre op . Post op after week 1-2 am hardly on any pain killers that's how much pain pre op I was . The pain is nothing compared to before. Hope this helps . But remember everyone is different

Let's us know how you get on xxxx

• Posted

That's great Sarah, I hope I'm pain free in after 1/2 post op. Good luck with you recovery and keep in touch x
    • Posted

The pain after varies from day to day Sunday I couldn't stand anything on my stomach but today is better haven't had any painkillers since 4am today and feel fine today but I'm very lucky to have a wonderful husband he brings me breakfast in bed before he goes to work cooks every day I only do what I've been told I'm allowed to by the hospital I just want to get back to a normal life I only came out on Friday afternoon after the op on Wednesday hope everything goes well for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.