Having bilateral hip replacement in 4 days time

Posted , 16 users are following.

Really scared! Had RA since 2 years old - now 49. Mobility extremely limited & painful. Worried about op, pain when coming round, recovery. Being able to get off the sofa, sleeping on back, doing stairs, basically everything. Any advice would be very welcome.

2 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Helen

You really shouldn't worry - you'll be in the hands of professional people. I've just had one hip replaced three weeks ago, admittedly not both, and I'm 65. I did have some pain shortly after the op, but that was unusual, because of muscle spasms, but I was fine the next day. I think you'll be so amazed and delighted to be free of pain that everything else will fade into insignificance. Four days after the op when I was due to come home I could zoom about the ward with two sticks - we skipped the crutches - and climb stairs. In fact I could climb stairs without the sticks, just holding the rail. After two weeks I was going for considerable walks at home and gave up my painkillers. This may have been a bit brave, and I am a little sore, but I will only take them if I really need them.

The thing that impressed me most was the kindness and caring attitude of the staff - they were angels. So please don't worry - you must just remember that it is a major operation and you will need time and patience to recover, so don't try to rush things and you'll be fine. You'll look back on your operation as a minor blip in your life and I'm sure that you'll be so overwhelmed with your new hips and astonished that you can walk about and do what you wish without pain that the time in hospital will soon be forgotten!

I hope that helps! All my very best wishes to you for a quick recovery!

• Posted

Thank you Maurice. I have never known what it is like not to have pain or how to climb stairs as a 'normal' person. I can't imagine what that will be like or how it will be to walk any sort of distance. I want to believe it will be the best decision ever but also don't want to raise my expectations. Of course the aim is for a better quality of life.
  • Posted

Hi Helen I had my right hip op 2 weeks ago tomorrow and I agree with everything Maurice says! I had a slight complication so have to stay on 2 crutches for 6 weeks weeks but its been a doddle so far.

I was worried about silly things like going to the toilet but the nurses dont make you feel embarrassed using a bed pan and I was a bit out of it for the first day ...I had a general anaesthetic.

Getting in and out of the car was a bit difficult coming home but I managed with a little help.

I bought a raised toilet seat with a sort of frame which is a great help at home getting on and off the loo!

The stairs are easly manageable up and down...just takes time. I didn't sleep much for the first couple of nights ...not used to sleeping on my back ..but the last couple of nights I've slept from 11-7 even though I have to use the loo halfway through!! I've managed a shower and washing my hair but I had to take my crutches in with me!!

My partner has been great and he's putting everything I need to hand...he has to help me dress...cant put pants on or socks but you just have to laugh about it.

As for the pain, I haven't really had much pain in the operated leg ...the wound is a bit tender and started getting itchy the last few days (36staples...out tomorrow!)

Worst discomfort is the muscles in the bad leg which stiffen up and the leg swells up..just need to keep moving it! Pins and needles in the good leg are weird but I think thats because that buttock is taking more pressure!!

Dont hesitate to ask anything...no matter how silly...wish I'd found this forum before my op.. but its been really useful and reassuring since....where do you live??

Chris

• Posted

It will be the best decision you've ever made and you're going to be absolutely fine! I do hope you let me know how you are when it's all over when you're running your first marathon! I think you're going to be over the moon and feel like a new person! Where are you having the op? Mine was in the Royal Alexandria in Paisley.

I'll be thinking about you.

• Posted

Hi Chris & Maurice

I am in Surrey & having op at St Anthony's. Have a 101 things running through my head. I too am concerned about sleeping on my back, the swelling of feet & legs. It has helped finding this forum ahead of op & reading other posts. Everyone is so supportive to each other. Will probably post other queries particularly as the op gets even closer & I get worried the closer it all gets. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Helen..we've got one of those beds that the end raises up so that helps but I believe you can hire the back rests from the Red Cross...really helps with sleeping and sitting up too...I took Nytol tabs for the first week ..not sure if it helped but I did get a good amount of sleep....have just slept all night which is bound to help the healing process...not looking forward to getting my staples out later....at least its another step forward.....I'm in Manchester..had my op at the Beaumont hospital (I have BUPA cover)

Chris

• Posted

Don't worry, it's not as bad as you imagine. I got both hips done in December. Was in hospital 5 days, first 48hrs were painful but the painkillers do their job. Was up walking day 3. You need a raised toilet seat, chair &

bed for 3 months or so. Worst part for me was sleeping on back, put a pillow under your knees in bed it helps a bit. You may be able to sleep on your unoperated side with a pillow between your legs after a few weeks.

I had little pain once home, hardly any at all & was going up stairs with crutch. The thought of it all is worse

than the actual op or recovery..

The nhs gave me all the equipment I needed. You also need a reacher, helping hand thingy for picking up

dropped items & stretching for things that are low.

All the best

• Posted

Hi age ship, 

I have just read your info about you having had Both hips replaced at the same time. I am due to have this done too , soon& I was thinking that I was the only person having this done. It was great to hear about your experience as I am getting really worried about having them both done. 

• Posted

Hi age ship

Like you, I was so scared as I didn't know that both hips could be done at the same time & only found this forum by chance 4 days before my op. The support from everyone was brilliant in getting me through as they fully understood what I was going through.

I started from a long way back in terms of damage from RA, loss of muscle etc.

I am 2 years on now & painfree which makes such a difference. It will be a lot of hard work after with your physio but it's worth it.

I wholeheartedly can say it will be the best decision you ever make. The difference it has made to me & my husband & our quality of life is awesome.

Just keep strong & post any concerns as everyone is here to help you.

• Posted

Hi Helen, 

thanks for your kind wishes & reasurance about things going well for me. I will keep you posted about how I get on. 

• Posted

Hi Helen

My operated leg and foot was quite swollen for a week or more, then one morning it was gone. Not a problem at all. And Chris - the District Nurse came round to take my 31 staples out and I hardly noticed. I asked her when she was going to begin, and she said that she had! It was less painful than an injection, so absolutely no worries there either. I was sleeping on my side a week after the op with a cushion between my legs without any ill effects. For the first two weeks my leg was achy, then as he ache started to go off I stopped the painkillers, apart from one night when it ached more than usual. I've been doing quite a bit of walking lately and my hip is a little sore, so I might walk a bit less for a while.

Don't be scared - it's quite OK! Patience is what you need!

• Posted

Hi Maurice...beat you on the staples front...I've got 36! Ha!! Like most things in life the thought is worse than the actuallity....perhaps it's wisdom that comes with experience!!

Hoping to retire next year so bring it on!!!

Helen just keep in touch via the forum and Maurice and I will help you through!!

Chris

• Posted

Hi, you guys I think I get the prize for the staples.....NONE ......I got glue !! No kidding, fab.
  • Posted

Hi Helen,

Its normal to feel worried about your operation. You need to look at it as a positive thing which will improve your quality of life. Don't worry about your pain most patients these days can self monitor - you just press a button when your pain starts to build up (if it does at all) and all this will be explained to you. If you do not have this available then you just request more painkillers, its really not that bad. Everyone will have a different experience.

I hope all goes well for you - keep smile

• Posted

Hey! Nobody gave me the option of glue! What did the surgeon say 'This is a stick-up?'

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.