Having bilateral hip replacement in 4 days time

Posted , 16 users are following.

Really scared! Had RA since 2 years old - now 49. Mobility extremely limited & painful. Worried about op, pain when coming round, recovery. Being able to get off the sofa, sleeping on back, doing stairs, basically everything. Any advice would be very welcome.

2 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

As opposed to 'hand me the staple gun!!'

lol....:-))

• Posted

Or even 'You've been stitched up, mate'!

But joking apart, staples are no problem at all, in fact a great deal easier to remove than stitches, as the nurse herself told me.

• Posted

Mine are all out now.....no probs!,, Manchester Marathon here I come......NOT!!
  • Posted

Helen 2702

Hi Helen.

From experience I would advise be prepared. Go around your home and put things at higher level to prevent bending. Prepare meals and freeze to make cooking easier. Stick strictly to your given exercises, but don't over do it. Wear easy to get in and out of clothes. Sleep with pillow between legs to prevent turning on your sleep. Get two grabbers to pick things up from the floor, keep in separate rooms.

Best of luck, it will be worth it.

Joyce.

• Posted

Absolutely Joyce....I got a stick too with sort of l shaped hooks on the end...really handy!

Chris

• Posted

Hi everyone

Thanks for all your tips. I now have 2 grabbers 1 for downstairs 1 for upstairs. Thinking of getting one of those v-shaped cushions to put behind me in bed so as not to be completely flat at night. Have done some cooking & put meals in freezer. Have quite a high bed already with memory foam mattress so hope this will be OK. Not sure if I will be able to take the weight of a duvet so may have to resort to a light throw cover. Will also find spare pillows to put between legs to stop turning to side.

I will be keeping in touch & will let you know if I have stitches or staples. Surely by having both hips done I should win on this lol.

Regards

Helen

• Posted

Hi Helen...you sound more positive......I got one of those v pillows and its useful in bed ...got it on ebay and a matching cover for it.....

Guess you will win the staples battle with both done at once.!

...I havent used a pillow between tbe legs as I have no inclination to turn on to my side at the moment.. a pillow under the knees relieves the pressure on the back though when sleeping.

I also got a 'dressing stick' on ebay with some different size hook things at each end...really useful for getting dressed..pulling up pants etc....

I am just sleeping with a fleecy throw and its fine...the duvet is far too warm.

I also got one of those long handled sponges for getting to places you cant reach....anything else just ask.....

• Posted

Hi Helen

I found that the gadget for helping me to put socks on is very useful, also the very long shoehorn for getting shoes on too. What we really need, of course, is a Doctor Who type phone box - go in naked and come out fully clothed! I do try to do everything myself, but my dear wife does my shoelaces up for me!

Chin up!

Maurice.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

The hospital supplied my grabber, shoe horn, sock thingy confused also got a raised toilet seat. I too have quite a high bed with memory foam and that was fine and okay with the quilt over too. Like you I have had both my hips done. Just take things slowly and try not to get frustrated, go at your own pace. Good luck and I look forward to hearing how you got on smile

• Posted

I want a TARDIS too!! ....or maybe a machine like Wallace & Grommit to put your clothes on....not so easy for a man but I have some long kaftan things which are great for indoors and easy to get on and off!!
  • Posted

Tardis - that's the word! But maybe it would be simpler if I changed my style of dress. Demis Roussos wouldn't have had a problem!

• Posted

Demis who!! Remember him well!! Just been to see the consultant only to find the appointment is for 25/3!!

Duh!! Getting in and out of the car is a bit easier though!!

• Posted

Hi Everyone

Just finished my last day at work until who knows when tried not to get too emotional thought I would save that for this Thur.

Have also ordered one of those v-shaped pillows to help with the sleeping on my back. Should be delivered by the time I come home. Have spent years not wearing tights/socks & probably won't change that so may not go for the sock thingy.

Tomorrow will be spent packing, waiting for confirmation of final op slot & getting more anxious by the minute as d-day gets ever closer.

• Posted

When I finished work before my op they bought me a survival kit......dry shampoo, chocolate, magazines, facial wipes nice hand cream and body spray...came in useful..........if you wear pyjamas buy a nightie to wear till you can get your PJ bottoms on....invest in some Bio Oil for your scar too..

Honestly it wont be hslf as bad as you think!!

Chris

• Posted

Hi Helen,

I just wanted to wish you all the best for Thursday. Just try to chill out, get yourself some good magazines/books to take in with you to help ease the boredom.

I'm sure all will go well and look forward to hearing from you soon so until then take care and enjoy the rest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.