Having flares to close :-(

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a few questions My very first attack of infection was Jan 2016 I went 10 months without a flare but after that I have had one every other month and I'm sick of antibiotics!  I wanted to know does everyone here take antibiotics every time you get the cramps -twinges - or hurting that doesn't let up for a couple of days? Is it possible to do anything else for the flare to clear up? Some one please again that has had good results with less flares PLEASE tell me what you take and what you eat and do and don't do. I need some reassurance  and hope! Thank you in advance

2 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How are the diagnosing you every other month? Maybe you aren’t getting rid of it at all?  I was first diagnosed in sept of 2017. I had another episode in nov one in dec and then one in May. I had iv antibiotics on the hospital but didn’t take any oral as they make me very sick. I haven’t had another bout since May of 2017. I find that you have to react quickly when you start feeling those twinges and switch to a liquid soft diet. I have started juicing, given up milk and only use almond milk which I make myself and stear clear of processed foods. So far so good 
  • Posted

Crosado,  I feel your pain.  However, this was my first time being diagnosed with Diverticulitis. I am only 3 and a half weeks into it, but when I try new food, after my liquid/low fiber diet, and I feel it doesn't settle well with my tummy, I go back to what I know works.  Yogurt with probiotic, Apple sauce, water, and white cheeses.  Once my tummy feels better I try something else a gain.  I feel this is going to be a long battle, but it is important to communicate with your Dr. and maybe get a meeting with a nutritionist.

Good luck.  We are here to support you.

• Posted

Yogurt with probiotic, is plain greek yogurt  good I eat that and when I took robotic pills they made me nauseated and runs.  right now I'm eating green beans mash potatoes  yogurt unsweetened tea mashed sweet potatoes mixed with mashed carrots. Creamy peanutbutter and a little fruit juice (not everyday) jello, apples cause although I hate anything apple and I'm git a few days more on antibiotics for the 3 to 4 time in the last 4 to 6 months!!!! IHATE THIS DISEASE! I have a new patient appointment with doctor My 18th at 11:00 . I get the mucous and blood with stacks with severer  pain! I am beginning to wonder if diet is an issues seems like no matter what eaten it comes back! Depressed in Kentucky! 

• Posted

I felt the same way when I was have recurrent attacks. It’s an awful disease and I have it in my left lower quadrant and in my right upper quadrant so surgery means removing my intestine. I refuse to do that so I am doing everything I can. The turning point for me was finding a probiotic that made me have a good BM every day. I truly believe that’s the only thing that has turned this around. 
    • Posted

PWK you honestly had close flares like me too ? I'm scared to death! What kind of probiotic   are you on and how often do you take it? Hows your diet like  what do you eat? ANY help would be MORE than appreciated. 

• Posted

What probiotic do you take that keeps you moving? I take a probiotic but have to also take Benefiber. I would rather just do a probiotic that accomplishes both.

Thank you!

• Posted

I had my first one in sept 2016 then another in Nov, another in dec. The last one put me on the hospital for three days on IV antibiotics. I did better until May 2017 and had another bout which again landed me in the hospital for three days. They told me at that point surgery was my only option but in my case I have left and right sided so surgery is not an option as far as O am concerned. I decided to revamp everything. Started juicing, taking benefiber three times a day, and found a great probiotic called 1MD complete probiotics. I am very careful about eating small meals and trying to stay away from anything fried. I also found milk and bread were problems for me so I started making my own almond milk and I stay away from bread as much as possible. I travel a lot for my job so eating can be a challenge but the minute I start feeling like something is going on I go back to just juice, eggs and potatoes and soft veggies. I also found from this site a tea called diverticulitis tea. You can get in on amazon and I find it calms down any discomfort when I first start feeling any issues. It’s a constant struggle and a very depressing condition but I am determined not to have surgery. 

• Posted

Crosado8,  Please don't get depressed with this.  Getting depressed allows this disease to win.  Don't let it win.   I understand how depressing it can be. I was just diagnosed with this disease and from what I have heard talking to a nutritionist, a poor diet can cause flairs.  I would highly suggest talk to your local nutritionist who can help you come up with a plan.  Have you looked into the Mediterranean diet?  my nutritionist said that is the best diet out there for this disease, but it will be a slow process getting to that nutrition as you have to introduce one food at a time to see if your tummy can handle it.

I hope this helps. Please don't get discouraged. We are here to help you.

• Posted

I'm going to look up the Mediterranean diet thanks for sharing it and I copied and pasted the email from georgie82565 to my note pad so I can remember what all she said and share to refer back too. I don't know whats the best probiotic to try again,  does everyone on the list take them? Does everyone here take laxatives .

Is Cream of Wheat okay?  Oatmeal? I don't have my upper teeth right now so its hard on the chewing deal. 

Important  question: Does anyone on here get stomach cramps and its NOT be infection ?  NOW with such scare I have as soon as cramps start I'm grabbing antibiotics. 

Even though the diverticulisis is low can it cause upper stomach pains/cramps too or would that be from something else?

• Posted

I can't eat Cream of Wheat yet. but was able to in the hospital.  The Dr.s said it is more of a full liquid diet so it should be ok.  I wouldn't try oatmeal yet, specially if your tummy is not feeling well.  Yes, your upper stomach can be painful/cramps too.  Your large intestine, where the Diverticulas reside go along the left, upper and right side of your stomach.  I currently have pain and discomfort there.  I do not take a laxative cause I drink plenty of water; however, I am not going to the restroom as often as I was before. Partly cause i don't have anything in my system to come out, besides liquid and white read.  So, therefore, I am not sure what is really going on.  i am waiting to talk to my Dr. on the 16th.  I will then post what probiotic she recommends.  Good luck!

• Posted

What does the juicing mean like juice  raw veggies?  What juice as far as fruit juice do you drink? Can I buy that probiotics online? I am allergic to so much I was afraid to try the tea. How do you eat your eggs, scramble, fried, boiled, poached? 
    • Posted

Yeah beside to share with me what she says. 
    • Posted

I will add anything that I feel with help other people out to this discussion board.  I hope other people will do the same.
  • Posted

I had two flare ups close together and I think I never healed before I brought in too many foods. One of the problems with having this disease is you do not get a lot of help with foods.  Keep reading on this forum for help from past posts.

Take a probiotic with 20 billion cultures.  The pharmacy recommended that to me and it has really helped.  Take one every day and get a good brand.  Do not eat raw fruits or raw vegetables. Cook every thing before you eat it.  I think do it for several months.  It is important that you really heal.

I eat cooked carrots, potatoes- sweet and white, green beans, canned peaches, canned pears, turkey tenderloin in the crock pot seasoned only with olive oil and salt and pepper. Avoid onions and garlic!  Tender white meat chicken, watch what you season with - think bland not spicey.  No broccoli, cucumbers etc. yet according to my dietitian.  I asked my Dr for an appointment with a dietitian.  It really helped.

My go to food is a pop tart.  It has never bothered me.  Eat small meals. Chew well which is hard for me to always remember to do.  Walk every day.  Drink a lot and I mean a lot of water.  You could try a liquid diet for a couple of days and then slowly bring in mashed potatoes or a boiled potato. A sweet potato may be too much at first.  Do not eat red jello. It can come out looking like blood.  I was prescribed a pill for stomach spasms.  It helps when I feel like an attack could be coming.  

You will get help on this forum.  Keep asking your Dr for help too.  It really will get better in time.  I think you may be doing too much too soon.  Rest and don't eat too much too soon.  Think very small - a small soft white roll.  It will improve and you will get better. It takes awhile for it to settle down.  Don't get too down. I know it is hard but it will get better.

• Posted

I was eating red jello, and broccoli/cal-flower cooked but I think I need to give it up even cooked.I have canned peaches. How long should I be on a soft diet? I finish up antibiotic in a few days it was for 7 days at 800 mg. Is dark chocolate okay? Is chocolate pudding okay? Can you drink coffee?  Does anyones lower stomach feel uncomfortable with this mess like bloated and kinda weird when walking hard to explain. I will need to get probiotic  but I thought plain greek yogurt had that in it. Is it okay to drink milk or ensure?
    • Posted

Georgie82565

Thank you so much for your reply. I agree small amounts I'm finding are best. I will keep asking for help.

• Posted

I was eating red jello too. I think it is the best flavor but my GI said no red jello because it is hard to tell if it is blood in the stool or the jello.

I think the yogurt is fine but not enough. 20 billion is a lot so go look for it.  It is pricey but worth it.  Yes I felt weird walking  too.   It is a strange feeling at first but then clears up.  The dietitian said my hot black tea was fine so I guess coffee is unless it is the acid.  Some people can't do dairy or much dairy.  I could not do a milk shake although it was on the list for liquid diet from my Dr. so you may want to see how you do with  and without dairy.  Ensure seems to be something others do drink from what I hear.  Definitely give up the broccoli even cooked.  I am weeks ahead of you from my attack and was starting to eat some real soft broccoli but the dietitian said it is too hard to digest so wait on it.

Soft foods for awhile.  I was told by the Dr. to eat white soft rolls and white bread so I varied the type so I would not get tired of it.   Progress very slowly and keep a food diary so if something hurts worse you know what you ate.  Hang in there!

Georgie

• Posted

I guess my phone didn't add the rest of what I wrote.. Sorry....

I have yet been able to work out.  I tried to do a 5 min ride on a bike and that about killed me.  I wanted to get sick. I found walking is the best for me.  Don't do anything that can shake your stomach while you are healing.  I am finding I can only eat Activia vanilla and peach. Everything else makes me feel sick.  I can't eat much food now either. I am still healing therefore trying to introduce one thing at a time.   For instance... I tried Cream of wheat (which I had in the hospital), but I can't eat that now. So I stick with my white toast, mashed potatoes, yogurt, apple sauce, canned pears (I can't each peaches yet, it upsets my tummy) and would eat jello if I wasn't so sick of it. LOL  

Keep us informed as to how you are doing. 

• Posted

White bread I eat whole grain white but you  don't see the grains it looks just like white bread I wonder if its okay.  I am going to try and do the things  everyone suggested but its hard with low blood sugar trying to keep it up too. :-(  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.