Having flares to close :-(

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a few questions My very first attack of infection was Jan 2016 I went 10 months without a flare but after that I have had one every other month and I'm sick of antibiotics!  I wanted to know does everyone here take antibiotics every time you get the cramps -twinges - or hurting that doesn't let up for a couple of days? Is it possible to do anything else for the flare to clear up? Some one please again that has had good results with less flares PLEASE tell me what you take and what you eat and do and don't do. I need some reassurance  and hope! Thank you in advance

2 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Do you all think "creamy peanut butter"  is okay for soft diet?

• Posted

The pain is almost constant and I first became ill in 2005. I take antibiotics when I feel really ill with the disease and I went a whole year without once. I once became ill and stressed because I was very distracted by something else going on and as a result I had a bleed. My Dr got quite angry as he told me he had provided antibiotics to self medicate when I had a prolonged bout of being ill and I had not taken them. I control pain with paracetamol (acetaminophen in N America). You get used to the pain.
    • Posted

No but there are no restrictions on the amount in one convenient bottle that you can buy in Canada. And, by having a bottle of 500 I can accurately say how much I use. Roughly 500 a year!
    • Posted

Jeremy, was you medical diagnosed with diverticulosis? I thought when we had the cramping , pains and bowel issues all that the only thing that will help is antibiotics. When you have the attacks now do u take antibiotics?Do you ever get the lower tender stomach? Has your pain ever lasted like several days and  not take antibiotics ?
    • Posted

My constant pain is in the lower left. If I start to feel ill and tired after a few days usually with loose bowel movements I take the antibiotics. I don't take the pain killers every day. My diagnosis was Diverticulitis as it was a very bad session lasting many weeks. I was off work for six weeks. I take antibiotics by mouth but when admitted with the bleeds they gave me IV  and also  TRANEXAMIC ACID to stop the bleeding. At my last CT scan the surgeon went through the entire bowel large and small intestines pointing out areas of diverticulitis and areas of diverticulotis ie areas which were not inflamed with infection but had obvious diverticular swellings.

• Posted

Jeremy so you go more with feeling ill meaning not yourself, and loose bowels and bleeding on rather you take antibiotic or not instead of the pain?
  • Posted

Do you have antibiotics on hand or its a trip to doctors office ? Have you every just taking one antibiotic  for the 10 days in stead of two?
    • Posted

My GI dr gave me prescriptions to have on hand all the time as I travel a lot for my job. I only take the augmentin. I do not take the Flagyl as it makes me too sick to function. 
  • Posted

My GP gave me antibiotics to have at hand if I needed them especially if I had about away on holiday and things like that. He saw me every 6 months or so to monitor me. I am actually taking them at the moment and have ordered a repeat prescription on-line. I have learnt to ignore the cramps. I have only once have a scale 9 pain which was equivalent to a knee operation which went terribly wrong. I avoid porridge but take as many green vegetables as I can. I have raw spinach on toast ,marmite or peanut butter for breakfast as a rule. Nobody can say what to eat it is different for every body and you have to experiment carefully with different diets. the only advice I was given was to treat fiber with caution it is not necessarily the panacea some people make it out to be.
    • Posted

It’s funny because the GI doctors have told me with the exception of when you are in the middle of an attack fiber is the key to keeping the disease under control. Are you in the US?
    • Posted

What antibiotic does your doctor give you to have on hand name and mg?
    • Posted

Amos-clay 500 mg
    • Posted

sorry its Amox-clav 500 mg.
    • Posted

PWK is that two antibiotics or one? The clan throwing me off...

Does anyone ever get the tender lower  tummy like uncomfortable feeling when walking  hanging around even after you finished your antibiotics? 

• Posted

It’s one. I can’t take Flagyl. I am tender lots of the time even when I am not having a flare up.  It comes and go for me especially in the beginning when I was having recurrent flare ups. Now that I have been a year since the last one it is less frequent. 
    • Posted

PWK how did you make a whole year without an attack???  Please share how you ate that year and what all did you take such as  Laxed is probiotics fiber pills drinks I haven’t started probiotic yet I do eat plain yogurt .  I would love to make it a full year !
    • Posted

I found a good probiotic, 1MD platinum complete that I take every am. I take benefiber with a glass of water at every meal. I eliminated milk products and now make my own almond milk for coffee and cereal , I make fresh juices with a juicer my husband purchased right after my diagnosis. I use carrots, ginger, pineapple, apple and beets. I stay away from fried foods and greasy foods but I do eat all meats including small portions of steak. So far I have defied the odds and and not had another episode. So fingers crossed.

• Posted

Is every cramps we have now is it always an infection? Does anyone have cramps off an  on and not be an infection?  How do you tell the difference?
    • Posted

With my cramping I have to believe it is related to a infection or flare up because it has not stopped since I got out of the hospital over a month ago I have been fortunate in my life I had no cramping back in the day with menstrual stuff The only time I had cramping was with childbirth I am hoping to get control of this disease so I can move on and b me again Good luck to you in your quest to find the answer you are looking for This is all new to me
    • Posted

Ellen are you on antibiotics for the full month of cramping?
    • Posted

My antibiotics ran out on the twenyth of April 😣

• Posted

No the last one was taken the twenyth of April
    • Posted

Hi Jeremy your doc sounds a bit more knowledgeable than mine l have not been offered a round of antibiotics He seems sure diet and time is all I need to feel better I live in the US I would b planting my garden in the next week but the pain is to severe Perhaps I'll downsize

• Posted

That's great perhaps I'll up my Metamucil. Fresh fruits and vegetables I'm so glad this is working for you good luck

• Posted

It is hard to comment on different doctors or on the difference between all of us with our disease here. You should have a sigmoidoscopy, possibly a colonoscopy and a CT scan depending on what is shown on the others. The look inside gives them a chance to look for polyps as well as the diverticular pockets which appear as little black holes. If they find polyps they will remove them and test them (biopsy) for other things some of which are worse than diverticular disease. Most I have been told are benign. Your Dr should give you antibiotics if you are in pain and have other symptoms as they will not want to do other examinations if you are running a heavy infection. Your Dr should refer you to a gastroenterologist.
    • Posted

Hi Jeremy I'm not sure if I told you when I was in hospital a cat scan showed the pulps throughout my colon Anyway I got my blood work back today and my white blood cell count is normal so therefore my doctor says I can't have a infection even though I'm in pain and still running 101.7 temperature I have another appointment with him next Tuesday and I will ask him for a referral to a gastric doc it's 85 degrees and I'm freezing thanks again for trying to help me

• Posted

101.7 is a FEVER whats wrong with your doc? Did you ask what your white blood cell counts was even though he said it was normal? 
    • Posted

No I feel so stupid for not doing so I will start calling first thing in the morning I have had low grade fever for at least 5 days now and now it is going higher What kind of doctor should I b trying to see for diverticulitis condition I just think my doctor is not trained to helpme
    • Posted

You absolutely need to see a GI doctor not your GP. If you are still running a temp something is up. 
    • Posted

Where do you live? 
    • Posted

He needs to send you to a Gastroenterologist. Loveland may not have one but Denver should.
    • Posted

Actually I just looked and there are some in Loveland and a Digestive center in Greeley. You need to make him refer you if that’s the kind of insurance you have otherwise just get your records and make your own apt.  
    • Posted

Thanks i am now trying to get in touch with my insurance company to see if a referral is necessary
    • Posted

I have found a gastrointestinal doc She has no openings until July 3 I scheduled it and will check a few more office's tomorrow to see if I can get in earlier My white blood cell count was 10800 a bit high I convinced my primary care physician to call me in some antibiotics because of my fevers I started taking them at 6 pm I am once again praying that these help I have stuck to fluids and a banana today Wish me luck as I do to you and everyone trying to live life with this condition

• Posted

The message I sent you is being moderated what ever that means
    • Posted

Excellent. 10800 is indeed high as the limit of normal is 11000. Glad he gave you some antibiotics. Keep us posted on seeing the GI 

• Posted

Hi I took 10 days of augmentum and ended up in E R one day after I took my last pill The ER doc put me on 2 different antibiotics and liquid diet for 3 days My white blood cell count at hospital was 13700 boy am I sick I'm praying these new antibiotics work

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.