Having flares to close :-(

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a few questions My very first attack of infection was Jan 2016 I went 10 months without a flare but after that I have had one every other month and I'm sick of antibiotics!  I wanted to know does everyone here take antibiotics every time you get the cramps -twinges - or hurting that doesn't let up for a couple of days? Is it possible to do anything else for the flare to clear up? Some one please again that has had good results with less flares PLEASE tell me what you take and what you eat and do and don't do. I need some reassurance  and hope! Thank you in advance

2 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

If you have gotten any advice that has been even a little bit helpful please will you share I'm at my witts end Even one hour of not being in pain would be heaven I am averaging 3 hours of sleep per day the pain is almost intolerable!

• Posted

You should not still be having this much pain as the pain in my experience usually goes away after a week on the antibiotics or a week of resting your Bowels with soft low residue food. Maybe you need a second opinion. Have you had a CT 
    • Posted

I am so sorry we unfortunately in the same position my doctor said my colon is still angry It has been over a month since this started Tomorrow morning I am going back to the hospital I will have them do a blood draw to check my white blood cell count to c if it is elevated if so I will do another round of antibiotics I am trying my hardest to figure out why I'm in pain 25 7 my life has totally changed 😢As I work through this anything I get sound advice on I will let you know ! My doc says no pain pills I may b looking for a doctor with some experience with our disease Please hang in there there is a Lord up above ?

• Posted

If you have gotten any advice that has been even a little bit helpful please will you share I'm at my witts end Even one hour of not being in pain would be heaven I am averaging 3 hours of sleep per day the pain is almost intolerable!

• Posted

I also found a site by a physician drake. Search. His diverticulitis diet on his site. 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

I agree with pwk.  You must go and see your doctor and tell them how much pain you are in.  I am assuming you have been diagnosed with Diverticulitis after a Colonoscopy and/or a CT Scan, and have been given a course of antibiotics.  It could be that the infection has not cleared or you have something like an abscess or perforation.  Either could be dangerous and need immediate treatment.  I take paracetemol and heat pads for the pain, but am guessing that does not help you.  In the meantime suggest you stick to liquids only to rest your bowels.
    • Posted

Thanks for getting back with me I was diagnosed in 2015 after colonoscopy at that time I had 3 doc told me to eat more fiber On April 10 last month I was doubled over I was driven to hospital and a cat scan showed a abscess in my colon I was hospitalized for 3 days intravenous antibiotics and pain meds now the diverticulitis is through out my colon the pain although not as extreme now is still life changing I believe the infection never fully cleared I have 100.7 temperature for 5 days now I guess I will be calling my doc tomorrow He doesn't seem very knowledgeable on this condition or go back to hospital and do another cat scan Thanks for listening

• Posted

It may be that your abscess needs to be drained.  Glad you are going back to see someone. 
    • Posted

Ellen,  If you have a temperature that is an indication that you still have an infection. I would highly recommend talking to your  GI doctor, not a primary Dr.  The GI can be more help than your regular primary dr. can.  They know more about the gut and what helps/doesn't help. 

Are you on any probiotics?  Are you currently eating what ever you want?  If you are, I would also highly recommend going to a clear liquid diet for a couple days, then move to a full liquid diet for about 2 days, then slowly add one thing to your diet ever day to see what you can handle and what you can't.  Eventually you probably need to be on a HIGH fiber diet; however, watch what you are consuming.  You don't want to eat anything you know will trigger this pain and you probably don't want to risk eating seedy things too.  I hope you can find some relief soon... Heating pads work wonders.  That is what I use if I feel pains.

• Posted

Thank you very much I am trying to get a referral from my primary so I can see a Gi so far I haven't received a call back from his office I will do a liquid diet and see if it will minimize my cramping

• Posted

I should have took your advice and go on liquid diet nothing but problems since we last talked I am now on antibiotics and liquid diet per ER doc last Sunday night
  • Posted

The antibiotics I have been on over a13 Year period are Metronidazole and  Co-Amoxiclav at the moment.

There is a helpful book called "Gut" by Julia Enders which contains much information about all gut diseases and the influence of the biome. not expensive and an amusing read.

• Posted

Thanks Jeremy any thing would help I have not found to much on internet My doctor seems to think I need to do the Paleo diet no fiber dairy starch and sugar
    • Posted

In the early years I was always given 14 day courses of Metronizadole to clear up the immediate effects of the disease.
    • Posted

Ellen the "Paleo diet"  is that just during a flare? OR at all times?

• Posted

He thinks all the time he seems to think we need to eat like cavemen he said all wheat is poisoned from pesticides and our stomachs are not capable of digesting it the same with dairy and starchy foods When I got my abscess about a month ago I weighed 138 pounds I'm 5 foot 7 this morning on the scale 124 my clothes are falling off and my pain level is the same he says give it time?

• Posted

I would be cautious with that.  Dairy can make you constipated which can cause more complications. But I am not a Dr. I would just be cautions and see if you need to have something like miralax or Benefiber as a fiber supplement. 

• Posted

I agree, the key to this disease is keeping the bowels moving normally every day. Comstipation is the enenmy 
    • Posted

Thanks how about almond milk I do think I could replace cow milk easily if this was allowed
    • Posted

I switched to almond milk and actually make my own its very easy and much better than what you get in the store as it’s pure almonds. I think this is another reason that I have been over a year finally with no flare ups!
    • Posted

Thank you later on in the day I will b looking up recipes
    • Posted

Yes it is... Lets hope Wednesday I will be able to figure out how to get my digestive system and start to feel better. Lets hope my colonoscopy can be scheduled very soon too.
    • Posted

The best of luck to you! I pray the colonoscopy does not irritate your colon When mine was done in 2015 She nicked my stomach that is what she said happened. So I was given 2 different types of antibiotics before I walked out the door fortunately she was upfront about the error and I was never in any kind of pain
    • Posted

Hello again things went downhill quick for me my doctor put me on augmenting for 10 days due to fever and pain Although I didn't feel any better I continued taking them I took the last one Satauday morning and ended up in E.R Sunday night They did a cat scan and sure enough I had infection now I'm on 2 antibiotics for a week and liquid diet til Wednesday night I'm still in pain I don't know what to do the answer has not been found Wow thanks for letting me air Any advice would be appreciated!

• Posted

Ellen, if you again finished 10 days of Augmenting and still theres and infection and plus antibiotics even before that, why would they give you two more antibiotics by mouth if they are not working, why not start you on IV antibiotics? 

What two antibiotics did ER send you home on? 

• Posted

I'm on ciprofloxacin 500 milligrams twice a day and Metronidazole 500 MG 3 times a day my white blood cell count was 13700 ER doctor told me if I wasn't feeling better by Thursday I need to figure out with my primary care physician what antibiotics work for me Have to wait till July 3 to go to G.I doc my stomach still feels like I'm getting stabbed every 15 20 minutes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.