Having gallbladder removed soon and really scared

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am waiting for a date to have my gallbladder removed. Spoke to friends that has had this done and they seem fine and getting on with their lives but I'm really really scared because I keep reading about people that's had it done and they've had major problems after . Feeling worried.

1 like, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I had my gallbladder removed on Feb 7 th of this year. I was terrified too the hospital I was in here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Took good care of me. If your having the easy surgery. ( Sorry can't remember the name ). You will be back to normal in a couple of weeks. You will be okay. You just have to take it real easy for the first 6 weeks. It's only day surgery.

• Posted

We need more positive posts like yours! I wish more people would post after they have surgery to show others it’s not all doom and gloom. Also it’s been eye opening for me to see how patients fare in other countries. I’m based in UK.
  • Posted

Hi,

I think that sometimes reading other people's comments can divert from what is important. If you have been in so much pain then the best option is to have gallbladder removed before you end up with complications. My symptoms came on suddenly and I was very sick for a few weeks. After numerous blood tests, scans etc I was diagnosed with a diseasesd gallbladder which was very enlarged. I would not worry about which surgeon is best and where they live. All over the country these operations are carried out daily. My husband had his gallbladder out on NHS and I went private due to having private health cover with my job. Both had different experiences but have recovered well.

• Posted

Hi, I had my gallbladder removed on Feb 7 th of this year. I was terrified too. It has been 6 months and I still have the gas and bloating and sometimes have to watch some of the foods. But when I had mine removed, they put me on antibiotics to start and gave me some acid reflux meds. It took 6 weeks to get back to normal.. you will be fine. It is only day surgery. I was only in the hospital for 6 hours. Then went home and had to rest. Was on some antiimflammatories to help with pain..I had the easier surgery..it's a simple procedure.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, it's really helpful to know how others have got on since their opp.   I'm not in any pain at all and haven't been since last December when I was admitted to hospital. Really worried that I'm going to be worse off after opp. I had 4 pain attack s last year but none since losing weight. I can eat what I like but most of the time I am on my diet (have lost 6st 6lb now) have only had 4 days off diet so don't know how I would be if I was off the diet permanently. Only symptom I get is flatulence gat (embarrassed)  just really terrified that cos of what I have read on some other websites.

• Edited

I am scheduled to have my gallbladder out this Tuesday. I do not have any issues with my gallbladder it’s just being removed because my brother died of cancer of the bile duct and I have a small pile up in my gallbladder so my surgeon thought it would just be best to go ahead and remove it. I too was encouraged to join the groups on Facebook, wish I hadn’t done it as well. I’m scared to death of what’s going to happen because I’ve never had any issues with my gallbladder. Good luck and I hope everything goes well for you.

• Posted

I'm literally in the same boat as you, my anxiety is through the roof I've read so many stories aswell 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.