Having internal body vibrations/buzzing.

Posted , 170 users are following.

I've been experiencing these body vibrations/buzzing for about 2 months now. It started out mostly at night waking me up between 1am to 4am..if I try to sleep through it it gets worse and even into my head. I've had several really bad mornings where its been so bad I get out of bed in a panic wondering what is wrong...of course this has lead to very little sleep the last couple months. Lately it goes on all day too. At night I can "calm" it with a glass of wine but only to wake up vibrating again. I've been taking anxiety meds and they have no effect. Tried muscle relaxers and they have no effect. I've changed my diet and taking vitamins with no effect. I'm 50 years old and pre pausel as I've had on full period I'm 7 months. Im so tired of dealing with this. Anyone else having this same thing? If so what have they done about it?.I have a doctors app. in two days.

23 likes, 482 replies

482 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I honesty think it's just part of menopause. I have been living with this symptom since '09. Some days are worse than others. Sometimes the shaking is visible, not just inside. I will feel so nervous and jumpy. I haven't found anything that helps. I have basically had to learn to deal with it. Everyone tells me this too shall pass. Take care 

• Posted

Hi Cass63, I'm like you nervous and jumpy at everything, since your last time on here have you got any better.

• Posted

Unfortunately no, I am still dealing with this. Some days not as bad as others, but still have the shakiness.
    • Posted

Hormonal symptoms were certainly a main factor. But I have found that men are having this experience too. Also my mother who is 80 where menopause was an issue years ago. 

Do you have any back, next or head injury?

Lymes Disease had an articlebthat talkedbabout one of the symptoms being vibrations.  This is the first thing that ever listed this as a symptom. See if you can get checked for Lymes Disease. Best of luck.  

• Posted

Men also have a type of menopause as well. And as you get older, hormones can continue to be imbalanced. I think it all-in-all can make the symptoms worse. Still have to figure out source.
    • Posted

i seriously do not believe it's a menopause issue. i went through early menopause 14 almost 15 years ago and recently have this vibrational sensation in my feet.. like a buzzing sensation.. so i cant accept that it is related to menopause. sorry.. that doesnt seem to be applicable over a decade past menopause.

• Edited

I have it and muscle twtiches I use Magnesuim it helps  a lot
  • Edited

Hiya

I feel for you I've been having this weird symptom on and off I'm in year nine of perimenopause

I've not had a period for 10 months and it's getting worse almost constant

I sometimes think it's my heart beat but when I take my pulse and blood pressure it's fine

This bout has lasted a week and has sent my anxiety into overdrive another of my peri symptoms

I feel so on edge constantly with it

I'm not in any meds and every test I've ever had comes back normal thyroid included even though I have a nodule on my thyroid its functioning normal according to tests

I'm so drained with all these years of it

I've had every symptom then some

I keep reminding myself I've had it before and it's passed but the constant internal vibration is just awful

Hope u feel better soon x

• Edited

Hello Michelle, you are not alone. I started to vibrate internally 1 year ago and I still am. I have seen so many doctors. It’s been a nightmare. After 7 MRIs they found a lesion on my spine. I will have that biopsied next. I’m 54 and post menopausal, so I do not believe menopause to have anything to do with the horrid vibrating. I have become so angry over it all. I feel if docs could see what I feel I would’ve gotten answers sooner. Don’t give up or give in to bullying healthcare workers. Remember, they work for you. Good Luck
    • Posted

Hi Susan. I'm 6 years post menopausal and vibrations and muscle twitching for about a year now. I'm curious if you've experienced other symptoms not typically associated with menopause? I also get joint and muscle pain, sometimes debilitating. I don't quite meet the criteria for fibromyalgia and my Naturopathic doctor is at a loss for answers. Why did it take 7 MRI's? I've been wondering if I should pursue that possibility. I agree, it's very frustrating Good luck with biopsy.

• Edited

Whatever happened? I’m experiencing the vibration too as I’m going through perimenopause/menopause. I’m told that it’s anxiety but it’s getting worse and it’s affecting my sleep and my digestion is totally out of balance. I’m struggling to eat well and do all the right things but I’m losing weight. Feel like I’m deteriorating.😞

• Posted

Same here, digestion, rotten bin shakeing 6 weeks now no appertight, till about 5 pm, I also menopause, anxiety terrible in morning,
    • Edited

Me too! Mornings are awful! Stomach and digestion horrible,overheated, anxiety through the roof, fast heart rate. Going on 2 and a half years now with me. I woke again last night with full body vibrations. Feels like someone shaking my bed, almost poltergeist shaking. I’ve experienced this so many times I lost count. I get up because my heart will be racing along with the full body vibrating sensation. I’m 52 and this started right around age 46. I’m tired. So tired. I’ve had two heart ablations for WPW and have been diagnosed with Autonomic Dysfunction. I had Endometriosis since age 13 and numerous surgeries and would trade Menopause any day over all the pain I went through all those years. 
    • Posted

I’m 5 years post menopausal and have the same symptoms.... internal vibration, random muscle and joint pain. If I take a magnesium, potassium and vitamin D pill both morning and evening, it helps with the pain. 
    • Edited

Hi I'm nine yes post menopause and having the twitches..shaking and trembling...anxiety !!!!! Yes and I have a herniated disc and bad neck which makes my jaw shake..sleep deprivation can cause it all to..my periods ended when I was 42...no symptoms ..nothing. that's why I'm not sure it is Meno that causes it...insomnia..yes..anxiety yes..bad neck and back yes xxx

• Edited

I do all of that and then some. I know the spine is causing some of this and surgeries. I also realize that I am 6 months in to menopause and it’s causing these issues. Seems everyone has issues with the nervous system, key is figuring out what is triggering it and stop the brain cycle. However, I may have permanent damage to spine and that probably is compounding the problem. I am taking ligament restore, which is helping my atlas stay on along with going to my atlas chiropractor (different than regular chiropractor) and TMJ is huge issue. Vibrating is worse in the head and finds it’s way down. Thank you Heidi. I do sleep better with the magnesium, but also other herbs and unfortunately I have to take sleeping pills, just not as high of dose with the herbs.

I woke up this morning with my eyeballs so cold, they felt dead. THat’s what woke me up and I had to get blood to it and warm it up. Yucky dead feeling.

• Posted

Is it worse at night when you lay down on your back or sides? That’s how I found the TMJ is causing major issues. I am now going to get stem cells for it to see if it will help. And having the atlas off can also cause severe ringing in ears with TMJ. Do you have ringing ears as well?
    • Posted

The TMJ doctor told me that is one sign of TMJ problems. Laying and putting pressure on that jaw. Between the atlas and jaw, this has been huge in my head/facial pain. It can also make arms weak and according to stem cell doctor in Colorado tmj can cause whole body problems. I would suggest getting jaw examined. I literally try to sleep on my back and literally upright. You could also purchase over the counter a night guard and see if it helps at all. That’s how I figured out that I had a TMJ problem. It helped. So then I found TMJ doctor. It’s been a year and ligaments of jaw need help, so now I will do stem cell. I have been taking a product called ligament restore. I do think that is helping my whole body too.
    • Posted

Be careful of potassium pills. They can increase heart-rate and put a person into a spin. My husband once took too much and we thought he was having a heart attack. The nurse said potassium can be very dangerous without supervision.
    • Posted

Be very careful of potassium. Only take under doctor direction!!  You can actually have a heart attack from too much oral potassium. 

Sleep apnea can cause depleted electrolytes.  

I’m leaning closer to the cause being Lymes Disease and or sleep apnea.  

• Edited

It was definitely sleep apnea for me, which I suffered about two years or more before dx and tx. I think the vibration came from the prolonged sleep deprivation which caused a form of nervous system damage. I think you can get it from different things, like a spinal injury or TMJ, anything that injures the nervous system, maybe even sustained emotional strees. Whatever causes the damage though, it seems to last a long, long time even if the issue is addressed. I don't have the vibration as long as I sleep with the CPAP machine and get my rest, but just one night without it, and I'm waking up with bad vibrating. I also notice caffeine can cause a low level vibrating during the day, and I think that's because the damage has been done to the nervous system and stimulants like caffeine, probably sugar too, aggravate it. "They" are never going to see this damage on an xray or MRI, but it's real.

• Posted

THank you crystal. You aren’t hen first person who had a cause for the vibrations and a cute. (((Hugs))) thank you.  I agree the many things the people listed were all things that could lead to sleep apnea. It’s typical that tests would be all inconclusive and their doctors would be chasing known diseases. It was my own doctor that insisted I get a sleep study. He would no longer address my complaints until I did it. Smart guy. He really saved my life. By the time it progressed I had my heart dipping into the 30’s and was a zombie. Today with a ventilator (a machine a CPAP but more advanced) my life has completely changed. Thanks for writing. (((Hugs))) 
    • Posted

Hi Susan, about two werks ago I had a UTI with lots of back pain. A few days later, I started to feel a buzzing in my vaginal area. It is driving me crazy. Whatever happened to you? Are you better? I also have a lot of back problems. Thanks. 
    • Posted

Hi.. Neurologist #2 wants to do an EMG on me to test for Dysautonomia.. It's expensive and I haven't done it yet.. and I read where there often isn't a cure anyway or even treatment.  So I kind of wonder what's the point.. Been dealing with this since March.. Started with a weird dizziness/sinking feeling while driving.. now has developed into this.  I've seen every doctor under the sun.. It's been worse the last couple of days.  Not sure what to think.

• Posted

What exactly are your symptoms? Do you have ear problems? Jaw or teeth issues?any spine/back issues? Any nerve issues in feet?
    • Posted

Primarily just the dizziness and sinking feeling in the internal buzzing. I have at times had a higher blood pressure than is normal for me but the cardiologist attributes that to the stress of all this.I went to him because in the beginning I had what I thought were some heart palpitations and a couple days before all this started I raised up in bed and pulled a chest muscle pretty significantly.. also in the beginning I thought it was related to a flight I had just taken because my ears popped a couple times but other than that I don't have any ear problems and I don't think I have any type of joint problems or anything like that. The neurologist did MRIs of my head and my spine and didn't see anything.

• Posted

I wonder if its hormonal? Is the buzzing from top of head to feet? How old are you? Explain the internal buzzing you have and is the sinking feeling in the head or is it your stomach etc.? 
    • Posted

Well.. the buzzing/vibrating is mainly in the top half of my body... I'm 54 and I have no idea if it's hormonal or not.  I guess I need to go to the OB/GYN also and ask his opinion.. I'm pretty sure I'm done with menopause.  It happened really early.  I had a hysterectomy at 43 and do not take any supplements.

The internal buzzing feels like just that.. buzzing or vibration.. inside.. In the beginning I thought it was a sound.. but I'm sure now it's a feeling.  

The sinking feeling is my head and body.. I can be driving along and literally feel like I'm sinking back into the seat of the car.. or sinking over to the side.. I don't know if it's a dizzy feeling, lightheaded.. or what.  

• Posted

Definitely. It’s worse after talking, eating, laughing, crying. Anything with the jaw. That’s why I’m going for stem cell therapy to see if we can get the cushion back in my jaw.
    • Posted

Do you feel kinda out of it as well when this happens? I get tht as well after I eat. So weird!!!
    • Posted

Has anyone thought this was menopause and later developed parkinson?

• Posted

Yes, especially after eating, talking, laughing, crying. Anything with the jaw. The jaw can make the atlas slide out of position inside the head (atlas is at the very top of the spine and all the nerves run through it.) That shifting seems to damage/irritate the nerves. And when I lay backwards to sleep, it’s also worse. Ringing ears also get worse. And my arms are weak and can tingle etc.
    • Posted

The EMG and ANT tests were normal.. Very thankful for that but still no answers on any of this.. and now I have developed these pelvic pains periodically. They were pretty consistent throughout the night last night and it feels like shooting pains..

• Edited

I just turned 49 and this started about two months ago. Started as muscle twitching intermittently all over. Then I started getting these vibrations when I wake up. I can no longer tolerate any caffeine and I used to drink four cups of coffee per day. Even just a tad of caffeine will make me feel trembly and shaky inside. I often feel like I'm having internal tremors and sometimes it even shows up as shaking slightly in my fingers on both hands but doesn't last long. I had bloodwork done for Magnesium, B12 and Vitamin D. All was normal. I also just had nine vials of blood drawn for all hormones including Thyroid. Haven't got the results in that yet.

I have to say it is really freaking me out. I hope that it is peri menopause and nothing sinister. I also have an MRI scheduled of the neck and brain to rule out MS.

• Posted

did you ever figure this out? I'm in the exact same boat except i have had the MRIs and MRAs. Looks like i have sleep apnea, so holding out hope for some relief with that for now

• Edited

i just came across this feed... i have the exact same symptoms you have listed. All of them including the sudden pelvic pain that comes and goes. Did you ever get any answers? i have seen cardiologist, neurologist, had MRI done, extensive hormone testing done. i have days i can hardly get out of bed because the internal tremors just make me so dizzy feeling and tired! So far doctor has just put me on anxiety meds but i feel that is just fixing a symptom of my symptoms. I am just curious if you found anything out.

• Posted

Susan17350 OMG!!!! Wow!

I can't believe what happened to you. I'm speechless.

You poor thing! (7 MRI's - before they would take you seriously?!) 😦 I would be angry too.

So is that considered MS?

How are you doing now?

Louise x

• Posted

do you mean yours had actually stopped now ..god i hope so ..i cant bare this much longer 😦

• Posted

Hi Lisa 😃

I know what you mean.

Do you think your anxiety meds are helping any?

Louise x

• Posted

Its hard to tell. She has put me on anxiety meds and progesterone daily. After only taking for about a week, I still was having issues, so I demanded another dose of steroid pack which had worked for me before. That is what seems to finally make the symptoms go away for me. So right now, I am not certain what is working, the anxiety meds, the daily dose of progesterone or the steroid pack I finished. So we will see if the symptoms come back like they did before about 8 weeks after I finished steroid pack back in October. My issue is I had an MRI, that the radiologist report stated he believed the scan was highly suggestive of MS or other demyelinating issue based off of my scan, when I went to neurologist, he completely dismissed the report all together, stating he doesnt respect that radiologist. So I dont know which doctor is correct. Then he just sent me back to my primary doctor, who then did hormone testing, and showed I was in early menopause and that must be what is causing my symptoms. I still do not agree!

• Edited

did you ever get checked for Parkinson disease?

• Edited

i couldve written this post. Any updates, hope you are feeling better.

• Posted

Hi, I have had buzzing in my legs for a few years and recently it has moved to almost everywhere, I also have a lesion on my spine. Have your doctors found any cause?

• Posted

This is my first time replying so this may be a duplicate. Sorry if it is. Your symptoms are exactly like mine. Did you ever find out what might be causing it or what might help it? I do have or I should say have had a B 12 deficiency and a vitamin D deficiency. However I think both levels are OK right now. I can’t get over how close your symptoms are to mine. I hope that you’re feeling better.

• Posted

hi, i have the same symptoms even the spine legion, i was wondering if yours ever resolved? thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.