having problems walking

Posted , 8 users are following.

i was put on bisoprolol 2.5mg and find it has made me unsteady on my legs has anyone else had a problem ?

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Roy , Yes feels like your walking through treacle , also my arms are the same , it's very common but debilitating 
  • Posted

Yes Roy fir the past 6 weeks I had anAF , was put on bisto and warafrin , my GP halved it 19 days ago because I could not tolerate it , the fatigue  and I have put on half a stone in that time , I had the results the other day of a 24 hour ECG and the consultant had said I now need to be on 5 mg , that us nit going to happen I would be bed ridden if I took that much , I am waiting on the consultant to get back to the GP with an alternative 
  • Posted

Hi Roy... Yes Bisoprolol are awful, they drain all the energy and unable to walk more than a few metres. I hope you can get used to them, i had an i tolerance and had to seitch meds.  
    • Posted

love your name-sorry could not understand your reply- what did you mean by seith meds
  • Posted

Hi Roy, I joined this group a few weeks ago after being diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation. That was about 9 weeks ago, I am currently waiting to hear from my cardiologist about having a cardioversion where they shock the heart back into sinus rhythm. Anyway, I was prescribed 5mg of bisoprolol and warfarin whilst in hospital and after a couple of visits to A and E with some AF complications the cardiologist increased my meds to 5mg of bisoprolol morning AND evening. I must admit at first it was very debilitating. I felt our of breath, (it was very warm too about a month ago and that didn't help), and I really struggled to walk, I couldn't even walk up the stairs to go to bed. However, it does get better!! I went for a good walk, around two and a half miles yesterday and have just come back from a shopping trip, probably one and a half miles of walking. I haven't had any breathless episodes and to be honest the increased dosage has helped with the horrible 'knocking' in the chest that you get from the more severe AF episodes. Hopefully, if my cardioversion works I may be able to reduce both the warfarin and the bisoprolol but as I said, persevere with it, it does get better, it did for me and I am on 10mg a day!!! Hope you feel better soon. Cheers. 
    • Posted

Hi we must have had the AF at the same time , I can't imagine being on 10 mg a day , I have a bridal business and u couldn't even lift my arms up to put the gowns on the girls , I have been told the warfarin has to be stable for 4 weeks before they can do the shock treatment and that the besto and warfarin fir months after that just to make sure it dosent flip out if rytham again , I hope you continue to improve . 
    • Posted

Hi Bernadett, It hasn't been an easy couple of months!! I got this very fast heart rate and irregular pulse completely out of nowhere, (on the 25th June), I ended up in Oldham coronary care unit for 48 hours, my HR gradually came down but when I was first in A and E they gave me something on the drip along with saline solution that should have brought down my HR but didn't. It has a long name and begins with am.... but I can't remember. In the end I had warfarin injections and the Beta Blocker bisoprolol. I did end up back in A and E with the horrible 'knocking' you get with AF in your chest, I don't think I had a good nights sleep for about 4 weeks, my GP got an appointment for me with the cardiologist, (much earlier than planned) and he put me on another 5mg of bisoprolol. Like you I felt terrible, no energy, thought I'd never walk again!!!! Episodes of breathlessness were the worst thing. However I suppose my body got used to it, I'm not saying I am happy, I hope that if my cardioversion goes ok I can reduce the meds and even stop them altogether, it has been a scary couple of months as I said but things have got better. Cheers, 
    • Posted

Have you put weight on , I have at least half a stone , it's very scary , I keep hoping one day I will be back to normal , good luck 
    • Posted

Hi, I suppose I have put a little weight on but at the beginning I was really off my food so it's swings and roundabouts. The week before I was in hospital I was on a cycling holiday in Spain, I did about 25km every other day, and then I was down to shuffling down the garden!!!! I haven't been on my bike since but the walking has certainly improved, I still can't do steep hills, I have to ease myself into a walk by doing the flat bit first but I am much better. Are you in permanent AF or the one that comes and goes, (my friend has that and it can be scary when you don't expect it)? There seems to be quite a lot of it about, the more I tell people what I have the more they know someone else who has it!! Hope you improve. Cheers, 
    • Posted

Hi I was in my bed watching tv , they think it's stress related I am now starting to close my business (more stress) when it happened , you were obviously fit , I'm not very fit . , Keep in touch 
    • Posted

thanks for that info- am now worried about serious weight loss-had blood tests and am waiting for results

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.