Having trouble keeping motivated to do my exercises at home

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am almost at 9 weeks post op for a right tkr. I was told pre op that I had to follow with physio to make this a success or not to bother with having operation. I have been doing physio 2x a week and following up with exercises at home. Lately though I find I really have to push myself to do my exercises 2x a day at home never mind the 3 recommended! Anyone else feeling this way and how can I keep myself motivated? I know I need to do them cause I do feel stiff if it's late afternoon and I haven't done any yet....I try to discipline myself to morning afternoon and evening but when I sleep til 10 am! (Yay to sleep) it's usually afternoon b4 I do any. I am actually typing this while icing my knee after doing my exercises for the first time today. (It's 1pm here in Canada)

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lynda, You are going through what everyone tends to suffer from. You have to stay strong take your pain relief and do the exercises. I found that some form of measurement wether it is the time you can do an exercise for or improvement in the bend or straightness or distance you can walk, makes you feel better and helps you carry on when you see the improvements. I found the improvement were very slow to start with and then get quite noticeable on a daily basis. Don't worry about the time of day, sleep patterns go out the window with this operation and will return as you progress, if you want to get up in the middle of the night just do it. In another 10 weeks you will be thankful you had the operation and look forward to your life being relatively back to normal and painfree which is where I am at the moment. Good luck and stay strong.

Regards Paul

• Posted

yes i find it hard to get get motivated with them due to the fact im in a lot of pain mine was done on the 5 march but i do try and do somethings even if i cant do all and my knee is very stiff and unlike you i dont no what sleep is,so im always so wiped out and very tired its gd that someone get sleep and good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.