Having trouble tapering. Can't get lower than 7.5mg. Can anyone help?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

Can anyone help. Have had some real difficulty tapering to come off mirtazapine.

Just a brief history:

Originally tapered too quick from 30-22.5-15-7.5-3.75 and then off over about 3 weeks. After 4 months on. So then went back on at 2mg but felt awful again. So then went back to 7.5 again. Felt alright and did this for 7 days and then tried to go down to 5.75 but am now feeling awful again. I really want to come off this stuff but just don't know how. Can anyone please help. I feel like I'm going crazy.

Should I just stick it out a bit longer on 5.75 or go back to 7.5. If I go back how long would someone suggest I stay on this level and what dose should I follow next.

I just don't know what to do...,

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks Karin,

You are right it is unbearable. I probably will have to go back to 15mg. I just dont get how I was ok before on 3.75 and then on 7.5 but now I am not. The whole thing is extremely puzzling.

• Posted

Just to reiterate, Andy, it is because you went too fast and your nervous system couldn't keep up.  I know, it's weird to feel ok after a drop but then not, but mirt has a bit longer half life than some and builds up in the system; when dropping, it can take awhile for the cut to actually take effect, so probably why you had those good days before it went bad.

It takes a few weeks for the nervous system to respond to a small cut with remodeling, so cutting so steeply weekly gave your nervous system no chance to heal.

Also, it isn't just about serotonin.  Every neurotransmitter system is inter-related with each other and hormone systems etc.  Change one and you cause a riccochet effect, reverberations that echo out across all the systems and take a lot of time to finally settle, with all the parts making their corresponding adaptations.  I think that is why we experience windows and waves, good periods followed by bad.

• Posted

Thanks Betsy perhaps I know this but just don't want to admit it. Can't seem to stabilise on 7.5, is it better to maybe go back to higher dose maybe 10mg or even 15. Or just try and ride it out on 7.5. I keep changing which I know is bad but unsure which is best dose to stabilise on now.
    • Posted

Yes, it is bad to keep jumping about.  How long have you been at 7.5 mg?  If longer than a week, and the previous was 15, then 10 would be ok.  I wouldn't do 15 because it may be swinging the pendulum too far in the other direction.  If it makes you feel worse right off the bat, then stop and go back to 7.5 mg and we will reassess.  We get more and more sensitized to changes the more we monkey about.  I think it is because of the reverberations throughout all systems that changing one thing causes.

For everyone in this mess, I recommend joining the forum that the 10% link takes you to, because there are mods there who are far more experienced than me.  I've learned a lot from them.

Dan, are you taking any other drugs?  Sometimes that is the missing part of the equation.

• Posted

Ha, I see that you have joined, andy, since I just saw an intro matching yours there!  Glad you did.

• Posted

Yes did join forum today, think this is the only way to get some answers. With regard to previous history I originally came off mirtazapine on the 11th May but freaked out and so went back on at 2mg. That did not work, so went back to 7.5mg (on the 23rd May). Then went onto 5.75mg on the 30th May. That also did not go so well, ie bad WD. So went back to 7.5mg again but that doesn't seem to be making me feel any better. I know that I have been really stupid but just want to try and get back on track and this time do it sensibly.
    • Posted

Well you have jumped around a lot so it's going to take some time to stabilize - be sure to put those details on your thread there.
    • Posted

I also have been jumping around with the Mirt dosesmile

It do not make it better is my experience unfortunately.

Stick with the dose you are the most comfortable a longer time and than when you stabilise go a bit down, the 10%.

I will try it next year. Now i must stabelise on 15 mg.

• Posted

Thanks great advice. Not sure what dose where I feel most comfortable though. Thought it was 7.5 but now not sure. Trying to stick it out and hope things get better.
    • Posted

I hope that you can stabelise on 7.5, give it a month or two if you can.

Wish you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.