Having wide scale excision under left arm soon. . What should I expect?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have severe hs and in a month having wide scale excision under left arm as so bad. I’m in agony each day. What happens at hospital and recovering? Also can hardly move arm at all  with pain and smell is so bad I don’t know what to do to try be positive and not so snappy. 😞

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck. I hope you find relief real soon. Wishing you the very best...

On a different note, have you tried exploring other treatment options... in particular, holistic options or diet changes?

• Posted

hi Chitra, thanks I have had since I was 11 and Consultant says only solution would be surgery on arm but I am keen to look at other things after surgery as I have them in several other places as at stage 3. What would you recommend? 

• Posted

best thing I could have done. its painful for the first couple of weeks but after that its such a relief. Im on surgery number 4 since my groin is also bad. I got surgery after i tried every option possible. my HS is mostly caused by my hormones so its hard to control. Just have a doctor that knows what they are doing and you will be fine
    • Posted

Ah that’s good to hear. I can’t cope much longer like this at all. The pain is so bad every day and Im ready now. Yeah me too it’s last resort, I’ve tried laser, every antibiotic under the sun and humira. Just can’t move arm at all now without pain and it’s affecting everything. How long were you in hospital for? Was your wound vacuum packed ? Thanks for the reply to me. 
    • Posted

Hello Jessica, I understand this is a very private matter but if possible would you be willing to tell us hospital stay time, how was recovery--how long did it take to recover, were you up and about soon or was it months etc. I understand each surgery is different and each person is differnt also. If it is too personal I apologize for asking. I am so glad it has worked for you!!!

• Posted

Hello, I am having it Sept with skin grafts. I have found it very hard to get or find any answers on recovery time and what to expect!!! It's very frustrating. I have heard 2 weeks to 9 months without much detail  My pre=op consult is near the end of Aug. If I hear anything before your surgery I will let you know. Wishing you the ABSOLUTE best outcome possible and I am here if you ever want to talk.

• Posted

Thankyou for your message Tj. I agree for such a big operation you are just not told much at all. I had my pre op after much pushing as they said would need urgently. And the nurse said she wasn’t aware of the procedure or condition. Nothing new there! I just like to know what will be happening but they said would decide on table as scarring is very deep to chest wall apparantly. Thank you  I would appreciate it if you hear anything. That’s it one doc said over 12 weeks anyway they said depends on how wound closed. So confusing. Il let you know how goes. I’m petrified but god can’t wait too. Thanks again
    • Posted

Dear jo44949, are you having a plastic surgeon doing your operation? If so I would think the nurse would know..how frustrating for you! How are they closing you? Open, flap, or graft? DO you have someone to take care of you and are they supplying and in home nurse to come over once a day? Most People I have read about have a nurse come over each day for 2 weeks to 4 months. I am so sorry you are going through this too! Please reach out to me if you ever want to talk. I will send you a private message.
    • Posted

Hi there, apologies for the delay and messages. Yeah I do have a plastic surgeon to do the op, the pre op was ridiculous tbh as I had loads of questions about the procedure but was a general nurse and didn’t know what hs was!  The surgeon said he would decide on table how to close previous to that I was told vacuum packed. I’m massively lucky as have an amazing partners who does everything for me and family who are supportive. Yeah this is what I thought someone would need to check regularly at home. Thankyou for your nice words really appreciate it. 
    • Posted

Just wondering how you are doing?
  • Posted

I had one lanced in my armpit some years ago and I was back home by the end of the day then a nurse came around to my house to clean and pack the wound for the first week then after that I managed myself. don't remember been in any pain and it healed up after a few weeks.

• Posted

Hi, I just saw your post and thanks for your input, but this is a whole different surgery. I am 5 months post op and still going through mild pain where they did my skin graft on my armpit. The donor site (my thigh) although grossly discolored healed fast. I am really glad they left the vaccuum on my underarm also as that helped with healing. They hope I will be fully healed in 7 months or so. I think I should probably update my page 😃

• Posted

hi noticed afterwards the post was quite old I'm very glad you're recovering without too much hassle. I may have to have surgery on my buttocks in a few months and seriously doubting whether I want to go through with it. Wouldn't wish this hs on anyone. good luck and take care.

• Posted

Hi Acenbase, are they doing wide excission? I have looked into this on my female areas and have been told by my Dr. it won't even heal properly the first time he examined it. However, the second time he examined he said it would be up to a 6 week hospital stay and I SHOULD recover but it would be a long time. I don't know how I feel about this since my first major surgery seems to be working but...my abscesses having been popping up more frequently in the southern part of my body. Would really like to know what they told you so we could compare if that's ok?

• Posted

sorry to hear you're getting more in sensitive areas. they haven't said anything yet,all the Dr suggested was I need surgery and referred me and im booked in a couple of months. if it's going to be a long recovery which I'm assuming it will I shan't be going through with it. cannot afford the time off work but I'm also in the position where my abcesses won't heal. even though they don't appear to be infected they just leak leak leak blood. soul destroying to be honest.

• Posted

I am so sorry you are going through with this. It is such a terrible thing. With HS you usually find what i s happening with you is common as in they don't get infected that often. That is what sets HS apart and if you can call it a blessing I would...like we really need anything else! Ihope you are booked with a Plastic Surgeon who has HS experience. WIshing you ALL THE BEST!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.