Hay fever in February?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I've been suffering with hay fever like symptoms early in the year for about 10 years, (I am 52). This year it started about two weeks ago (If memory is correct, it seems a bit earlier this year!) with blocked sinuses and very itchy eyes. Having all windows shut doesn't help. Going out does not make symptoms worse? Anybody else having similar early hay fever with ideas to what is causing this?

0 likes, 16 replies

Report / Delete

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi - that's around the time mine started too. We've had a relatively mild winter and there's a lot of tree pollen around at the moment. You could try keeping bowls of water in every room to keep the air moist and change your clothes and shower when you come in to the house.

I went to my GP about this a few years ago and was given a prescription for Beconase nasal spray which I've found really useful, along with taking Zirtek which seems to really help with the symptoms. My GP did say that there was a lot of sinus problems around at the moment, which can mimic the symptoms of hay fever. And you can get hay fever most of the year, I get it around February and March and then usually in October and November, depends on what type of pollen you're sensitive too.

Try checking up with your GP if you need further treatment smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for reply. I tried Beconase years ago but I started getting nose bleeds and was told it can cause weakness in nasal passage over long term use so stopped using! It seems different antihystemeans work each year and have not tried Zirtek yet but probably will now.

Do you know of any forums that can give specific pollen counts? It just seems strange that I live on the coast with no forests nearby and not that many trees in the area and even if it’s raining it makes no difference, and wind speed and direction make no noticeable difference? Starting to wonder if it’s a plant in the house!?

About the same time I started getting these symptoms I also became allergic to some fruits and nuts, especially ram apples and almonds, I get very bad throat itch and difficult to breath and through internet forums found out that this can be linked together with hay fever.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I haven't found any websites that give a specific pollen count, as even the weather service from the BBC only seems to do this during grass pollen season. Have you tried asking that question on a search engine?

I have found over the years that I have become allergic to dustmites, and this could be causing some of the symptoms that you have. I now wash my bedding at 60 degrees celsius and use a slightly damp duster to dust in the house. One other thing I have found useful is called Hay Max, which I found in a local health shop. This is a cream you apply around your nostrils and it helps to block the pollen. Hope that you find some relief soon! smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Might be worth while trying out another nasal spray. They all contain steroids and thin out the lining of the nose which can cause bleeding, but you might find one that works and doesn't cause that.

I use vaseline up my nose. It traps most the pollen before you even breathe it in and it's cheap!

I found that I don't pay attention to pollen count. If you use your antihistamines/eye drops/ nose spray/vaseline/sunglasses it should prevent it.

I found that along with Kecki a damp cloth and using a hoover for cleaning dust.

Good luck!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi TsukiUsagi

Thanks for response but I think I am a lucky hayfever sufferer as mine stopped about 2 weeks ago. It started beginning of February when there was snow on the ground and temperatures were below freezing so it lasted about 4-5 weeks. I always start to think its a cold but the itchy eyes, ears and throat seem to tell me otherwise. I wish my allergy to apples would only last that long cos I miss them!! Hope your syptoms are mild this year.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I too have it in February on through to August. It is bad with windy days... sunny days... rainy days...  Have had it since I was 16. Got worse when I moved into an area full of Silver Birch trees. I am super allergic to them.

this developed to Oral Allergy Syndrome...meaning I cannot eat Apples; Apricots; Peaches; Plums; all fruit we eat the skin of... and now too peanuts and I have since found out I am allergic to wheat! 

I started off with the fruit cuasing me swelling in the throat etc about 10-15 years ago. It then developed when I had eaten a lot of bread to a full blown anaphalactic shock. So now I have to carry and epi-pen and I have cut wheat out of my diet. Since doing that there have been no anaphalactic shocks... touch wood.

It is definitely the trees with me.

You should go to your Doc about the fruit reactions you are having. 

I take Fexofenadine on prescription from the Doc it is the only antihistmatine that works for me. I can't do Beconase sprays - they seem to make it worse!

Hope that helped!

FIONA 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Fiona

I, too, have a very strong allergy to birch and other trees (although not oral allergy syndrome - touch wood!).

Fexofenadine is the only antihistamine to have any effect whatsoever. Nasonex spray and opticron eye-drops make it virtually manageable: might be worth a try for you too?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi .. its my first time having this kind of allergic rhinitis .. it started last dec20 o keep on sneeing and until now i still suffering for it ! Our doctor where i usually go said it was caused by hay fever i juat need to wait until the early summer end ! But while i keep on waiting on it . I getting tired of it. One time i cried so much because of my blocked nose and ears so i need to breath through mouth it so hard for me. I have my spray but my sister keep on telling me not to used it regularly but if not im gonna used it cant breath .. most of the time 6 to 8 times i sprayed so that i breath properly. What do you think i should do?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sorry for long delay, don't log on very often!

I sympathize with your suffering but can only advise that you keep trying different things and hopefully you will find the right remedy. My hayfever was practically non exsistant this year, luckily. When I do suffer I have noticed that some antihistamine work and some dont so try different brands. Hopefully you will get one that works.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hayfever really bad this yr. Mines started in early May. And everyday i have experienced swollen eyelids.

tried tablets, eye drops, nasal sprays, cold face cloth but nothing seems to be working. Cant take strong tablets as i find they make me want to sleep in work! so hopin to find the right eye drops that take the swelling down but its been 3 months and no luck, just hoping i dont have this til Sept.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi I have the same problem guys for over 2 weeks been in the last week pregnancy doesn't help cause it's not too much I can take however my doctor let me use centrizine which I am taking regularly for a week.

It's 3pm I am awake because nose might have to start using nasal spray.

This weather doesn't help especially windy one and when it's +10.

The only thing we can do is to take hayfever medication good luck everybody

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello

I came across your posting, even though it is over a year old.

I just wanted to let you know of a good site for Pollen Counts all year round.

It's the University of Worcester National Pollen Research Department.

I also start getting Hay Fever in February!

Hope this helps.

Vivienne

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up